85 grams pasta?

Options
BrendaLee
BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
The serving size for Smart Linguine is 1/5 box / 85 grams, but that seems to make a lot once it's cooked. I don't have a scale, so I go by the 1/5 box measurement and try to estimate, but I can't help but wonder if it's too big of a serving. There's supposedly 310 calories in 1/5 box, but when it's cooked, it feels like a lot more than 310 calories.

When having pasta like spaghetti and linguine, how much do you eat?

Replies

• bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    i usually try to go with about a fist full, but I have big fists
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have a scale to make sure everything is measured correctly. I usually only have a two ounce serving or 56 grams. I think its plenty with 1/4 cup of sauce and 2 ounces of 97% ground turkey. I usually throw in one piece of garlic bread and I am full. I use De Cecco pasta and it has 8 or nine grams of fiber per serving. The whole meal including garlic bread only ends up being 480 calories.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I do 2 oz as well...that comes out to be about 56 grams w/the pasta I use & 180 calories. That's 2 oz dry pasta, not cooked. I usually eat penne or fusilla.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you buy a food scale because it takes the guess work out. I bought one at Walmart that was inexpensive and I'm really glad that I purchased it. I was overestimating on vegies and underestimating on pasta. A 2 oz serving size of spaghetti is very little pasta! UGH!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I also eat 2 ounce servings of pasta. That alone isn't usually enough to fill me up for dinner, but that amount of pasta paired with sauce and veggies/salad does the trick. Scales are super-helpful. Once I bought one (very inexpensive) I was shocked and the real serving sizes. Real eye opener.
  • bubbles6
    Options
    Pasta companies are trying to misguide those of us who are trying to lose weight !! I just had this discussion on Monday...all the pasta boxes, no matter what the name brand, have the exact same nutritional information and show the values for 85g and they don't specify whether it is dry or cooked. It drives me crazy!! 85 grams is NOT the correct serving size for pasta. That's way too much. I made a casserole the other night and put 3 servings of 85 grams of pasta in it. It made six servings!!
    If you look in any diet book or check with Weight Watchers, 56 grams is the normal serving size for pasta. If you add lots of veggies to your recipe, you won't miss the pasta!
    Pasta companies think we figure it's just easier to calculate the 85 gram serving, but with My FitnessPal, you can figure out just about any portion!!!!
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    When I eat the full 85 gram serving (dry) I feel like I'm eating like a pig. It's a lot of pasta! I'm going to cut that down to around 50 grams.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I also make a serving 56 grams (2 ounces) and even that is a pretty big amount of pasta. I can't say I've ever seen a box of pasta recommend a serving size of 85 grams, that's kind of nuts! :noway:
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    All the pastas I buy now and used to buy shows a serving size of 2 ounces or 56 grams, so I don't know what brands show 85.
  • bubbles6
    Options
    I live in Canada and all the brands in my cupboard have 85 grams as their serving size...l have Catelli brand linguine, spaghetti and macaroni and CO-OP brand Gold Fettuccine Even the whole wheat pasta has 85 grams listed. I think the USA is ahead of us in that respect....not sure about the rest of the world though. I have a digital scale, so I rely on that more than the boxes!:smile:
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    I guess we Canadians are extra hungry. :tongue:
  • momofLandE
    momofLandE Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I must be backwards. I measure the pasta after I cook it then have no idea how to count it. I had 1 1/2 cups of cooked Catelli Smart pasta fusilli for dinner. The box says the nutrition facts for 1 cup not cooked. Does anyone know where to find the listing for cooked pasta?
  • shears1970
    Options
    I did the weighing of 85g of cooked pasta and looked like nothing on a small plate.....:smile: