Jump Rope!

Options
I just cut up some old climbing rope I had into a jump rope. I'm going to use it to warm up before lifting weights.

I may even get a wild hair and inorporate into my regular work out. It burns a ton of calories.

Anyone else use a jump rope?

Replies

• greenstar1216
    Options
    I jump rope all the time!! It's fun and a good warm up and cardio :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just cut up some old climbing rope I had into a jump rope. I'm going to use it to warm up before lifting weights.

I may even get a wild hair and inorporate into my regular work out. It burns a ton of calories.

Anyone else use a jump rope?

The trainer had me jumping rope in between sets when I do upper body. Really burned some calories. :drinker:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    nobody wants to see someone of my size jumping rope! LOL might cause an earthquake or something! Also, i have had multiple knee injuries and that is pretty high impact for someone my size... so no, no jumping rope for me... but i do see people at the gym jumping between sets to keep up their heart rate... seems to work for them!
  • Timothy2000
    Options
    I just bought one from wally world. we should go run together sometime
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    I feel i am too heavy to jump rope for now. even doing the stairs hurts my knees. So probably once i hit 180 or so, i will consider attempting the jump rope again :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I was a little concerned about the impact on my knees. We'll see how they feel in the morning. But I figure if they got me through 7 Week of C25K I'll be OK.

Jason, if our schedule ever sync up I'll go running.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Jump roping is great! Rocky style..lol I was jump roping for the past 10 or so months nearly every day. I did HIIT jump rope intervals, LISS jump rope sessions. I also used it to circuit train with abs and calves. One of my favorite forms of cardio.

I did not have any issues with jump roping and my knees. But it took some time for my shins to adjust.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I just tried itout the other night OMG! What a killer exercise!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I got into it when I was boxing, it's hands down my favorite cardio, and it does a number on your upper body too! gyms have ropes with varying weights too to change up difficulty ... took me a long time to get good at it, but pretty good now. I was doing it for about 30 mins a day this summer, and then got some excruciating pain my my leg (right above the outside foot bone it hurt! had to give it up for a cario, but use it to warm up everyday :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Funny you mentioned that - I just did that as part of my cardio intervals in my backyard. Sprints, walking lunges, skipping, squats, sprints, walking lunges, torso twists with med ball...deadlifts - skipping... 20 minutes! Felt great, and the kids loved that mommy was skipping (and darned good at it!)
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yes its great cardio, but I'm working on only doing it an inch or two off the ground and turning it fast to keep my heart rate elevated.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    regularly.

I just started double unders- I look like I've been whipped.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use them in CrossFit workouts. In the winter, when I can't run outside, I use them more. I have a speed rope that I bring to all my classes and use my own and I find it really helps with double unders (always having the same length).

They are also great for warm ups or to get your heart rate up during any exercise.

I love double unders. I have been getting better since getting my first in January and can whip out 20 or 30 unbroken many times, but other times I only get three because the rope gets caught in my hair, pony tail or not. #Girlyprobs

Totally portable and only $10 for a piece of equipment. Fabulous! I also find the jump rope use has really increased my sprinting speed.
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    love jump rope! I learnt how to do it at the ripe old age of 42,not quite at boxer level , but i'm getting there. I like to do jump rope/versaclimber intervals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use them in CrossFit workouts. In the winter, when I can't run outside, I use them more. I have a speed rope that I bring to all my classes and use my own and I find it really helps with double unders (always having the same length).

They are also great for warm ups or to get your heart rate up during any exercise.

I love double unders. I have been getting better since getting my first in January and can whip out 20 or 30 unbroken many times, but other times I only get three because the rope gets caught in my hair, pony tail or not. #Girlyprobs

Totally portable and only $10 for a piece of equipment. Fabulous! I also find the jump rope use has really increased my sprinting speed.

hmmmm I haven't considered that- I can only get a handful and it's really after a break- like so D.U.- reset- D.U.- reset D.U. reset (so forth) Perhaps getting a more appropriate rope would be the solution!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Jump rope whilst walking outdoors, when nobody's around :)