Net?

Options
I understand the calories and exercise, but I don't know what net means. I am sure it is simple. Would someone please explain?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Do you notice that when you log your exercise it increases the number of calories you're allowed for the day? That's the exercise adjustment.

If you subtract the exercise calories from the calories you've eaten, that' the net energy (calories) that you have for the day.

For example, I eat 2000 calories, I exercise 600, I net 1400 calories for the day.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I understand the calories and exercise, but I don't know what net means. I am sure it is simple. Would someone please explain?

It's like your paycheck. You have a "gross" amount which is your entire salary, benefits, etc., then you have your "net" the money that you actually get after taxes, etc.

Gross calories represents everything you ingest during the day. Net calories are gross minus what you burn.
  • Brent_J
    Brent_J Posts: 54
    Options
    Net Calories = Total Calories Eaten - Exercise Calories

If you ate 800 calories but then you exercised a lot that day and burned 800 calories, your net would be ZERO. (That's very bad)

If you ate 2000 calories and burned 500 calories exercising, your net would be 1500. Much better.
  • CandiceScott69
    CandiceScott69 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So net 445 is not so great? Thanks for the help.