Quitting sugar for good

Options
Hey all, I registered because I have a REAL addiction to sugar. My weight is fine, except for the fact that I cannot moderate sugar and it leads to binge eating. At this rate, I WILL end up overweight.

Things like ice cream, cookies, candy - not essential to life. Our oldest ancestors lived off of real food.

I guess my question(s) is: What is like to be sugar free (refined sugar from a chemical lab, not fruit sugar)? How long have you been sugar free? How do you get past the cravings? How do you deal with birthdays, holidays, trips, eating out? Our society encourages the consumption of this harmful substance, which makes it daunting for someone trying to quit it vs, someone trying quit cigarettes. I would have to go and get a food addiction. FML.

And I do mean 100% sugar free for life. Is this even possible; to never have ice cream again?

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I was eating 250g+ sugar a day so I think I qualify for this Sweet Teeth Anonymous meeting.

It's been about three months now that I decided to eat less sugars. First step is to get rid of the junk in your house and don't buy any. Because for most people, there is no "I'll take a piece of this chocolate and eat it in small pieces in 5 days". It freaking doesn't work like that. If I buy it, it's just gone without a trace.

Next is dealing with craving. Eat fruit, simple as that. I was going up to 120-150g in sugar because of fruit some days but it eventually ceased down.

I think it took me about a month to recover into a normal human being. Now I eat ice cream or chocolate or gummi worms and bears occasionally but I still don't stock them.

I try not to eat cakes at birthday parties and mostly succeed. In the worst case scenario, I say I'm allergic to sugar. As for eating out, I hardly ever order desserts anyway so it wasn't a problem for me but I stopped baking.

Can't help much on 100% sugar free, I'm sorry. A little chocolate here and there or gummi gummi sweetness are still little pleasures in my life. But best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • themildcat
    Options
    Even fruit is enough to send me over the edge.

One piece of fruit will lead me wanting just another 'taste' of something sweet. Which will lead to more fruit which will lead to the snack machine which will lead to a complete madman sugar binge. I'm talking a whole block of chocolate, ice cream, jam from the jar, drinking chocolate powder, ANYTHING I can get my hands on. I have no threshhold - it is honestly insanity and quite scary :/ I'm not overweight either but I knew I had to do something about it

I went sugar-free (Wow i've forgotten how many days ago!!! :D) 10 days ago and I can honestly say I have never felt better. I have so much energy, I've lost weight, I'm sleeping well, and I feel free. I'm not going back. Ive been offered cupcakes, tim tams, lollies, everything, at work and when I'm hungry and I've turned them all down. It's become so much easier in just 10 days - does not feel like a struggle.

If I want a treat I'll have a protein bar or some cocoa mixed with natural peanut butter and Nativia sweetener! Nativia sweetener is good with Greek Yoghurt too om nom

Ps the first 5 days I thought I was dying and developed terrible fatigue - I had to leave work early one day and slept for 16 hours. Scary :/ My biggest tip is to make sure you are eating a proper diet, that really helps. As for socially I just tell people i'm off sugar. You cop a bit of flack initially but who cares ;)

I really recommend giving it a try :)
  • FalseLead
    Options
    thank you both for your replies. They really made me think. A lot of my resistance comes from fear of the societal ramifications. I feel like an outlier for even thinking such things, but my health is at stake.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    thank you both for your replies. They really made me think. A lot of my resistance comes from fear of the societal ramifications. I feel like an outlier for even thinking such things, but my health is at stake.

Say no and don't look back. I've visited my grandpa (and he means the worlds to me) last week and he had bought a great pastry along with ice cream which I had to say no. He was heartbroken and I had to explain him that I ate too much sugar recently (well... it's not lying...) so I could never eat that or else I'd have serious problems. I told him that I visited to see him and not to munch on his ice cream and well... it was okay in the end. Compared to that, I would say no to friends or acquaintances any day.
  • g4genn
    g4genn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    OMG you almost made me pee my pants.

Does willing to do it for sugar make you an addict?
  • apom36
    apom36 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lmao
  • g4genn
    g4genn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ok as for advice, friend Myphoto.

He's awesome at keeping up on your for your sugar and providing alternatives if you need them. Let him know I told him you should friend him and you need a stickler to help you quit sugar.

Good luck, I am trying to master it but it's really hard. It's worth it though.

Are you giving up honey and maple syrup too?
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    7040126_8851.jpg
    o.0 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • alexiaans
    alexiaans Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this post and practical ideas to ward off the sugar.

I have taken additional steps to see if I can talk to a therapist about my emotional connection to sugar. I also plan on asking my PCP if there may be any chemical issues that is causing me to blank out and binge. Its crazy for me. I can be doing fine for a couple of day but when I relapse, I relapse. I mean I wake up to candy wrappers, empty ice cream cups and remnants of pies and pastries all around the house. Its really a sad sight. I am really wanting to get real help with it.

Thanks again for all the ideas and this post. Hopefully I will overcome this soon.