Post surgery gall bladder diet??

Options
Has anyone had their gall bladder out and have a recommended diet? I had mine out June 15th. I was having 0 issues with it, but they wanted to take it out before I did.

Since then, everything is making me sick. They just said to avoid fried foods. My boyfriend and I are pescatarians and a normal dinner is grilled fish and steamed veggies. I've tried drinking ensure and that makes me sick too.

I went to the doctor after feeling like death and had a blood panel run. I have something to drink at my desk all day, but apparently I'm dehydrated because it goes straight through me.

My doctor prescribed welchol off label because it was supposed to help with that, but it didn't really help today. I have to go back for more blood work and possibly an IV on Thursday

Replies

• jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I have had issues since my surgery three years ago as well. I work with a dietician now and we have found I can't process animal based fats or anything high cream (cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, butter, creamy dressing, etc). Ensure/boost screw up my tummy too.
    Sadly I lost tons of weight (too much) from all of the crazy restrictions and am now working on gaining. Some things I have found to eat are any unsaturated fat (nuts, olives, nut butters, etc). You kind of go mediterranean diet with it. Also instead of ensure/boost try whey protein isolates. Honestly though its little by little. Try and add in healthy unsaturated fats, definitely no fried foods, but the fish and veggies is what I do now. Adding a little healthy fat with it helps a lot.
  • calicat40
    calicat40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    looking at getting mine taken out soon so this information is helpful. right now just yogurt and soup and jello. yumm. Nice side effect, lost 11 pounds.