Struggling to lose the weight...any suggestion?

My husband and I have been eating healthier and dieting for over a month now. I have only lost about 2 1/2 lbs and my husband has lost 28 lbs. We have been more active as well. I can't seem to get over this "hump" and lose the weight....any suggestions??

Replies

• what does "more active" mean?

do either of you have any health related issues to consider? i have found it easier to make better decisions about "dieting" by increasing my knowledge about nutrition and just making better decisions instead of thinking of it as a diet (which has never worked for me).
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I know when I started out I lost 10 lbs a month just by following the calories mfp had me set at and walking 15-20 a day SLOOOOOOOWLY. I lost just about 150 lbs in year doing this....hang in there it will happen.

You shouldn't compare your losses to someone else, and a man at that, since men tend to lose weight quicker, also is your hubby way heavier than you or more active? are you measuring and weighing everything you eat or just estimating portions?
  • A female and male can never be equal in a weight-loss quest. As women, we have a totally different physiology. My advice is to not compare your numbers to your husband. By doing that, you are setting yourself up for disappointment since a male body reacts faster than a female to weight loss endeavors. Also, it is important to be monitoring your body fat, muscle mass, and inches lost. The "scale" is the biggest enemy of women, in my personal experience, as our weight fluctuates constantly with female issues.

I have been on a weight loss journey for 4 months now, but I rely more on my body fat & muscle mass, as well as inches lost, much more than I do the weigh scale. Though I have lost 14 pounds, the real indicator for me personally is inches lost. I am busy building a lot of muscle, which weighs more than fat. The scale is not a true indicator of your progress.

Lastly, I am constantly evaluating what is working in my nutrition and what is not working. The reason I joined FitnessPal is so I can have a 'community' of emotional support, and people in my own situation. Never be too harsh on yourself....be proud for every pound you shed. And never give up the fight....the victory comes through a healthy lifestyle. The scale is not our friend or foe...just one indicator of progress. From my personal experience, I have seen far more results in every other category, including over 10 inches lost over my entire body, rather than the scale. Being a prisoner of the scale is mostly discouraging, and only a small part of the total equation. Keep the faith and good luck!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    I was always healthy, ate well, exercised, etc.but needed to lose weight so I did a weight loss challenge at work and only lost 3 pounds in 3 months. I realized I needed to up my exercise and lower my calorie intake more. It was hard because it took about 2 weeks for my body to get used to it. Exercise for an hour every day and keep your calories between 1200 - 1700 a day. I did at least 2 days of 1200 calories a week and stayed in the range for the rest of the time and lost. I also recommend a multi-vitamin with extra D, iron, calcium, iodine, and B 12. It worked for me- and don't pay attention to your hubby.Men are HORRIBLE dieting partners because they lose weight so quickly!!! Plus remember ouwant to keep it off for life, so losing it slower is good. It took me 1 and 1/2 years to lose 58 pounds, but I have kept if off! Good luck!
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    The best advice given to me since I started -- be careful to balance carbs / protein -- sugar should be avoided if possible.
  • Just keep working at it. Guys can lose pounds very easily unlike women. Try taking in less calories. say one hundred less and if that becomes difficult (you begin feeling hungry) than go for a jog/run. when you return you will not feel hungry but rather tired. your stomache will than shrink and you will eat less. losing more weight. This has worked for me and ive lost 8 lbs in a week with this method. Crazy right!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    It is hard to make any suggestions, when your diary is closed. However, if you are looking to lose weight and keep it off, slow and steady is best.

If you are new, try starting here to learn more about the difference between your BMR and TDEE: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You should always net above your BMR (base metabolic rate), which is what your body needs to function if you were to do nothing but lay in bed. Again, net means calories consumed minus calories expended during exercise.

Find where you need to be, usually 20% under your TDEE will give you weight loss. If you undercut that amount you are not adequately fueling your body, and will train your body to require less, which can slow your metabolism.

Also, focus on what you are eating, specifically the macros - Protein, Carbs, Fats. Switching them to 40/40/20 works for me, but is different for everyone.

Hang in there and be patient!

Edited to add: quick weight loss often is simply water weight, to change your body you want to lower body fat. Also, it never hurts to visit your doctor to make sure everything is normal.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Are you logging what you eat and your exercise? -- If you're not, you're not using this tool to its potential and likely won't have much success. Period, the end.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Hey there!

Nice work so far with making healthier choices and being more active.

Now I must ask, have you tried low carb?? Because I tried for about 10 freakin years to lose weight, bouncing back and forth on the same 10 lbs until FINALLY I cut out ALL wheat products (as per the book "Wheat Belly") and BAM! I was so amazed at the rate of weight loss from diet alone!! I went from 167 to 137 in two months without changing my exercise routine.

So if you haven't already, try giving low carb a go because for some people (like myself) it's the only way to go. You may be gluten sensitive/intolerant and not even know it

Good luck girl!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    I can't say for sure what your issue may be without more specifics because "eating healthier" and "more active" might not be enough for serious weightloss. It truly depends on how you difine those terms. Men always lose faster than women so don't compare yourself to hubby. Its important to make sure your exercise/calories burned exceeds the calories you consume. Switching from whole milk to skim and other similar changes is eating healthier but If all you add physically is a walk around the block that probably won't result in radical weightloss. I wish I could be more help but I need more information. I'm happy to offer support though. Feel free to add me if you want.