18 year old knee problems...

svanhoecke
svanhoecke Posts: 266
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Hello! My name is Stacy and I am 18. I just started college at UMKC and I have gained 10 stupid pounds since I have been here. The cafeteria food is not conducive to a healthy lifestyle.

My main problem is that I have awful awful knees. I have had knee problems for years and have had arthroscopic surgery on each of them. I have very little healthy cartilage left in my knees so it is hard for me to exercise. I often can't keep up with my friends and it is scary to think that I am having trouble walking and exercising when I am this young.

Gaining these 10 pounds has put even more strain on my knees. I know I can lose it...but I need help with the exercise part. Lets see how it goes!

Talk to me if you can offer any support!

Replies

• barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    My knees hurt me too, but it's probably age-related. :laugh: :bigsmile:
    I actually feel better with exercise..... lots of walking and aerobic exercise.....
    going easy on lunges and any twisting or turning.

It also helps me to stretch every day.
    For ex. face down on floor with knees bent (child's pose) may help?

Diet considerations? Avoid processed foods, fried, white sugar & flour products etc.

I wish you the best Girl!!! :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou:
    You're way too young for knee probs already! :grumble: :noway:
  • seleck05
    seleck05 Posts: 74 Member
    hey! I have knee problems too and am only 22, so we are in a similar boat. Does your school gym have a pool? Because if it does SWIM SWIM SWIM! It has helped me tons and puts very little stress on the joints!
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    yoga, helps
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    I've got knee problems too, I played many years of volleyball and now I run which doesn't help much but when I cycle they feel better... maybe you should try spin class or bike riding... good luck and welcome :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • Thanks everybody who has responded so far! I will try your ideas. Swimming, and stretching etc..

I am optimistic!
This discussion has been closed.