How many coffee is to many coffee?

Options

Replies

• Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    You'll find just as many studies touting the various benefits of having up to 5 cups a day as you will warning about the risks of having the same amount.

Long story short, we don't really know.
  • VickyClare75
    Options
    I'm a coffee-aholic lol. Everyone knows if I've run out :laugh:
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You'll find just as many studies touting the various benefits of having up to 5 cups a day as you will warning about the risks of having the same amount.

Long story short, we don't really know.

Yup. It's up there with carbs and egg yolks on things you will never be able to find a good answer on. Do what you gotta do to get through the day!
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    OK. I am about to open a can of whoopass with my comments. Bear with me...

I always liked coffee. When employed by corporation, always couple of double espresso per day at the local Starbucks, in the morning and in the afternoon after my lunch. 3 years ago changed jobs and fortunately have a chance to work from my home with occasional travels to a client site. So, my trip to a Starbucks is pretty much from the couch to the kitchen. But I missed my espressos, so I invested in the on-demand, insanely expensive machine where with the push of a button it will dispense, including frothing milk a perfect 2 oz shot americano drink.

The problem is this machine stays on an entire day and I have been drinking 4, sometimes 6 coffee drinks per day. In fact, my last drink usually around 23:00 before I head to bed. And I sleep like a baby.

So, here I am, 50 years old. lost 60LBs, drink insane amounts of coffee, have energy like a 20 year old. And living it up!!!!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Average person drinks 3-4 cups a day and that is fine. Be careful what you put in it though! I use Almond milk and splenda to keep down the calories.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I keep to 4-5 cups a day.
    My cup is pretty big, however.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    When I was drinking 10+ (and large cups not 8oz.) I decided it was too much

Now I have 3-5 a day and also drink a lot of tea, and its probably on the high side.
  • dawten
    dawten Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I tried to give it up along with the coffee mate, I Too was MISERABLE! So, I just take the hit on the calories for the creamer and move on...........HAPPY. This is a lifestyle change and I dont plan to ever give up, enough said! :drinker:

^^Me^^
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Do not speak such blasphemy. There is no such thing as too much coffee. :drinker:
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Below are a few excerpts from a meta-analysis about the effects of caffeine, etc. Obviously the effects vary based on how often you drink coffee, how much, etc. but there ARE physiological effects and the potential for dependence/withdrawal depending on your consumption. You would really have to ingest a TON of coffee to die. I believe there is usually only about 80-135mg per serving

"Caffeine stimulates the central nervous system first at the higher levels, the cortex and medulla, and finally the spinal cord at higher doses. Mild cortex stimulation appears to be beneficial resulting in more clear thinking and less fatigue. Caffeine has been shown to improve attention in a study which simulated night driving (Leinart, 1966). The onset of the effect of caffeine occurs within one hour and lasts for three to four hours (Baker, 1972)."

"The equivalent of one or two cups of coffee (150 to 250 mg of caffeine) is sufficient to induce adverse effects. The occurrence of hyperesthesia, an unpleasant sensory sensation, can be stimulated by large doses of caffeine."

"The spinal cord is stimulated at higher doses and convulsions and death may result. More than 10 g are needed for such toxicity to occur in man (Ritchie, 1975). "

"Similarly, because its direct and central effects are antagonistic, the resultant effect of caffeine on blood pressure is unpredictable. The net effect is usually of less than 10 mm of Hg in blood pressure (Ritchie et al., 1975)."

Source: http://intraspec.ca/1981-v10n03-p202.pdf
  • alexveksler
    Options
    (3 a day girl myself.) An article in my newspaper a couple weeks ago touted coffee as the next red wine or chocolate. --one a day actually good for you due to antioxidants. But according to the article you get the same good effects from decaf -- I've been trying to back off on the fully caffeinated variety to only one (large travel mug) a day. When I start feeling my heart flutter/race I know I've gone WAY over what I should be doing. Can't be good when my body is complaining!

Some people can not have caffeine for medical reasons. So, decaff would be good. But for someone who enjoys coffee - why would you? Drinking decaf is like smelling roses though a gas mask.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    Along with a couple of cups a day I also take a 200mg caffeine pill 4 times a day. My doctor says I am healthier than most all of his patients. For whatever that's worth. :)
  • alexveksler
    Options
    Below are a few excerpts....

Source: http://intraspec.ca/1981-v10n03-p202.pdf

But, nc90, These studies from 1970s. There have been more recent and totally different publications.
  • Martin0524
    Martin0524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can only do One meduim size coffee.. more then that and I'm shaking and very hyper...
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I can only have one a day now, sometimes that is too much. Depending on my stress levels.

Which really sucks because I work shift work and I love coffee.
  • alexveksler
    Options
    I stopped going to my favorite coffee haunts because I was hooked on their high calorie additives...The good news it that I am now brewing a great pot of coffee at home....Three cups...and I'm good!

Since I am working from home, I actually was able to duplicate Sturbucks' tripple tall Americano with sugar-free vanilla flavor and 1 inch of steamed heavy whipping cream. This was a good thing to save $$.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Espresso shots actually have a fraction of the caffeine of a regular cup of coffee and much more flavor. An espresso shot or two diluted with hot water until it is the volume of a regular cup of coffee is actually much more satisfying to me than a regular cup of coffee.

I used to drink a pot a day but I am now down to a cup a day, if that, and I find myself to be better off for it.

And that is delicious! Hello Americano! :) my Fave
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I stopped going to my favorite coffee haunts because I was hooked on their high calorie additives...The good news it that I am now brewing a great pot of coffee at home....Three cups...and I'm good!

Since I am working from home, I actually was able to duplicate Sturbucks' tripple tall Americano with sugar-free vanilla flavor and 1 inch of steamed heavy whipping cream. This was a good thing to save $$.

Yes! Why the heck did I just sell my old espresso maker in my moving sale? :/
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are going to find out what you want to find out here. Everyone is different and the positive/negative effects are different for each of us and they will change for each of us depending upon where we are physically and mentally at any particular time. As a species we managed very well without consuming coffee for a couple of million of years so we don't need it at all. If you are worried why not cut it out completely for 3 or 4 months and see how you get on ?
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    well, I have a different story...I used to drink coffee, but it bothered my stomache so I had to quit years ago...so I replaced it with caffiene tablets which I took a couple times a day to keep up my speed at my desk..( I have taken them for years)..twice a week I had dinner out with 2 glasses of diet coke eachtime.....about 6 months ago, I started getting negative reactions after 1 glass of soda or i tablet of caffiene...my eyes would start burning and I would get brain fog....this got worse, I had to cut the tablets in half... and now I can no longer tolerate more than 1/4 tablet or half glass of soda without getting an adverse reaction....also, recently, all my regular medications are all interacting with each other.....I suspect that I have adrenal issues because of the long term caffiene use..and stress, so, be careful