Maybe This Time: Starting A Healthy Lifestyle... Yet Again

Options
I did it AGAIN! So, this is the third time I'm trying to bounce back from what I can only describe as a relapse. I go through periods of time where I am so fed up with old habits and realize it's time for change, and I get all pumped up with motivation and determination. I stick with a solid diet and exercise regimen for let's say up to 4 week, but then SOMETHING happens. What? Oh, it depends. Maybe it's a special dinner out with the family. I think to myself, "Hey, I've been so good lately. I've lost some wait already. It's okay if I let loose for one evening, right?" Well, that would be true if I were able to leave it to that one evening. But NOOO, I can't! I then go out the following night, drink too much, get hungry, end up eating pizza and burgers and all the crap you can think of. And, you can see the snowball effect taking place. Well, that's been the pattern. I go up and down and up and back down again. When will the madness end? When will I finally have the self-control and discipline to stay on track? Not even "diet," but rather make healthy choices in my everyday life and STICK WITH IT. I mean, that's what it boils down to. I live a very active lifestyle as is, and I've actually been working out quite a bit lately. And, that's all fine and dandy, but not when I eat as much as Michael Phelps! Anyway, I really have to reevaluate things. Because I'm at that "breaking point." But, I've been here before. It's after stuffing my face so many times that I get disgusted with myself and think "I'm going to go on a strict diet." Problem is, history repeats itself, and I know it's just a matter of time that I'm going to get sick of "dieting." I need to start out just being healthy. Eating a healthy breakfast... actually just eating breakfast period. Eating small meals throughout the day, rather than holding off the whole day until my appetite can't take it anymore, next thing I know I'm stuffing my face with Chinese food for a family of 4 at 11pm, as I sit on the couch watching Two and a Half Men. It's so frustrating, because I know better! I know what to do and what not to do. That part isn't hard at all. It's that will-power. And, what blows my mind is that I'm so fed up with my old ways, but it's just so hard to break old habits. It really is. Anyway, bottom line, I'm back here and ready to start anew. Yes, it is yet again, but hopefully this time it will be different. I think I need to look at it differently. I need to quit the "dieting" aspect. I need to stop obsessing with the number on the scale. I need to focus on my life and just eat healthy in the meantime. I do love food, and I don't want to ever stop enjoying it, but I think I have to get back to basics and remember that we eat for nourishment, not just flavor or because we're bored or have an oral fixation. Alright well, I've been up and down and all around, but somehow this road always brings me back to this point. Maybe I can finally leave this Point A once and for all. Here it goes...

Replies

• robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have sooo be there, :explode: still tring to get past point A. My hope in using this web site is, that I will be more accountable for my calories. I have tried having a written food journel, it never works usually lasts about a day. My biggest problem is food, both the amount and type. I am active, I workout, i just eat too much. I went to a breakfast buffet today, when I logged in my food I cringed everytime I hit the add to button. Now i am force to face it. I can't bring myself to dedicate more than an hour of my day to working out, I have other stuff to do. Now I have a point B, me in a wedding dress. Now is the time for progress.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I did it AGAIN! So, this is the third time I'm trying to bounce back from what I can only describe as a relapse. I go through periods of time where I am so fed up with old habits and realize it's time for change, and I get all pumped up with motivation and determination. I stick with a solid diet and exercise regimen for let's say up to 4 week, but then SOMETHING happens. What? Oh, it depends. Maybe it's a special dinner out with the family. I think to myself, "Hey, I've been so good lately. I've lost some wait already. It's okay if I let loose for one evening, right?" Well, that would be true if I were able to leave it to that one evening. But NOOO, I can't! I then go out the following night, drink too much, get hungry, end up eating pizza and burgers and all the crap you can think of. And, you can see the snowball effect taking place. Well, that's been the pattern. I go up and down and up and back down again. When will the madness end? When will I finally have the self-control and discipline to stay on track? Not even "diet," but rather make healthy choices in my everyday life and STICK WITH IT. I mean, that's what it boils down to. I live a very active lifestyle as is, and I've actually been working out quite a bit lately. And, that's all fine and dandy, but not when I eat as much as Michael Phelps! Anyway, I really have to reevaluate things. Because I'm at that "breaking point." But, I've been here before. It's after stuffing my face so many times that I get disgusted with myself and think "I'm going to go on a strict diet." Problem is, history repeats itself, and I know it's just a matter of time that I'm going to get sick of "dieting." I need to start out just being healthy. Eating a healthy breakfast... actually just eating breakfast period. Eating small meals throughout the day, rather than holding off the whole day until my appetite can't take it anymore, next thing I know I'm stuffing my face with Chinese food for a family of 4 at 11pm, as I sit on the couch watching Two and a Half Men. It's so frustrating, because I know better! I know what to do and what not to do. That part isn't hard at all. It's that will-power. And, what blows my mind is that I'm so fed up with my old ways, but it's just so hard to break old habits. It really is. Anyway, bottom line, I'm back here and ready to start anew. Yes, it is yet again, but hopefully this time it will be different. I think I need to look at it differently. I need to quit the "dieting" aspect. I need to stop obsessing with the number on the scale. I need to focus on my life and just eat healthy in the meantime. I do love food, and I don't want to ever stop enjoying it, but I think I have to get back to basics and remember that we eat for nourishment, not just flavor or because we're bored or have an oral fixation. Alright well, I've been up and down and all around, but somehow this road always brings me back to this point. Maybe I can finally leave this Point A once and for all. Here it goes...

The main reason that I have managed to lose the weight that I wanted to is that I HAVE been able to eat goodies" every now and then. Through MFP I learned that I just need to "work for it", through exercise, and watching my numbers (MOST of the time.:laugh: )
    Before coming here, I tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, (TWICE) but nothing really worked. :sad: I always felt deprived of all the "good stuff" out there, and therefore, could only last just so long on a "diet", and then I'd cave and be right back to eating all the "goodies" I wanted. :grumble:
    But then I came here, and started my new "lifestyle change", and as long as I "work with my numbers", I CAN occasionally have stuff like Chinese food, a double cheeseburger, pizza, and even homemade icecream! :love: :happy:
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    You can have those "goodies" you just have to do it in moderation. I will admit the last week or so, I haven't been tracking my calories. BUT even though I was eating food that probably wasn't the best i.e chicken alfredo (love the stuff) I kept the portions fairly small. So, I eat the food that I LOVE, I just eat it in moderation. And even though I haven't been making the healthiest choices I'm still losing weight and it's not hard to stick to because I CAN eat the food that I love. You don't need a strict diet. With a strict diet you set yourself up to fail. I'm not the best person to give advice, but I do know that if you become strict with yourself you will eventually get fed up with watching the numbers, I had hit this point where I was starting to hate counting my calories. All I could think of all day was food. I was obsessed with it. So I found some distractions. Example, when I feel like eating I go over to my neighbors house and play cards or something. I distract myself with talking to her or playing with her and I's kids. She has a 1 year old and I have a 2 year old. Distractions are a good thing to have. If you think of food try eating a piece of gum or drinking a tall glass of water. It'll help fill up your stomach and keep you going for a little while longer.

Sorry if this didn't help at all. I"m surprised I"m still functioning at the moment. It's 6 am I haven't been to bed yet, so if this didn't make any sense I apologize. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: