Will I ever be able to run???

Options

Replies

• bazlure
    bazlure Posts: 1
    Options
    I've never been a runner, but I just joined a local running club and joined their begginer program. It is a 12 week program that ends with a 5k in Novemeber. It's tough to start running, your legs get tired and you get winded, but you just start slow, and after 2 weeks, it has already gotten so much easier. My friend is in the same club in the marathon program, and she stated how she had noticed a difference in my running, and breathing already. For example, our first two weeks of Monday, Wed, and Sat we would walk 10 mins, then run 1 min and walk 1 min 10 times, and then walk 10 mins for a total of 40 mins. They increase the running from there, but it is totally do able. Trust me, I am the farthest thing from a runner and it is starting to seem like several 5ks will be in my future after I complete this course. So maybe look into a club like this with other people like you who are all getting started together.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You can definitely repeat Week 1 on C25k.

For me, I also focused on the TIME rather than distance on the C25k program. Speed comes later. I was probably moving barely above 4mph but I was moving. If it says go 2 minutes just go 2 minutes at whatever pace you won't die at. Even if it's essentially power walking that's okay. By the end of the program I was completing a 5k, though it took me around 38 minutes to do so. It wasn't until about a year later that I got down near the 30 minute mark.

You will definitely get better but it can take a long time.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. Not only was I decently overweight, AND a smoker, but I am tall and have a history of back problems and have big boobies. At first I struggled to run a 12 minute mile. I just kept bumping up my distance, increasing my speed, and now I am regularly running 4-6 miles at 6+mph paces. It helps to get the correct shoes, a supportive sports bra, and it gets easier the more LBS drop off. I also started to encorporate some light circuit training and Jillian Michaels DVDs into my workout which REALLY helped with my stamina. Good luck...it DOES get easier!!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I pushed myself to about week 3 of this program before I finally realized that the one I was following wasn't for me. Let me point out-there is more than one "C25k" program out there. Different ones take different roads to the goal. Shop around. I don't know how many there are, but I've seen at least two different approaches. Another thing-make sure you have very good running shoes. If you're legs are killing you, then that's a sign that your shoes might not be the best ones. Go to a specialty shop that can identify the best shoe for YOU to run in. You don't have to buy it there, but let them tell you what you need. I got shin splints walk/running my first 5k b/c I didn't do this.

Don't give up-just change your approach. You can do this!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yes. You WILL be able to run. But, you may not be able to run as fast as this C25K program indicates. So, go a bit slower. In all honesty, I didn't "run well" when I first started about 13 months ago. I didn't use a plan other than the mantra that I wanted to run a 5k without walking.

So, I found out how far I could run without stopping before I thought I would die (turned out to be just over a mile) and then I worked at pushing a little farther every few days.

I now run 5 miles a couple days a week and a long run on the weekends (currently getting ready for my 2nd half). So, you can go from not being a very proficient runner to running long distances. I CAN happen. You just have to keep chipping away at it and decide what your goal is and when you want to hit that goal.

If you stop trying, you'll never know IF you could've done it. Keep at it!! You won't regret it!!
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I first started C25K, i got really winded and my legs hurt too. But then I realized that no one said that I have to run a 5K by the end of the program. So instead of focusing on how fast I was going to ensure I was getting teh 5K distance, I just focused on keeping good form and running at a speed I can handle. At the end of the program, I should be able to run for 30 minutes straight, which will be a HUGE accomplishment for me. Once I get that under my belt, then I plan on focusing on distance.

So in short, don't give up. Don't worry if you can't go the full 5K distance. Like someone else said, it's not a race. As you continue, your legs will get stronger and your lungs will be able to keep up.

Just remember, you can do this!!!!
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's taken me an awfully long time to get to a place where i can comfortabley manage 5k - and that's at a very slow pace. I started off trying to go to fast, so eventually I decided I would go at my own pace, no matter how slow. I'm concentrating on building up my stamina first, so getting to a point where I feel comfortable at 5k regularly (at the moment, sometimes it feels comfortable, sometimes i struggle); when I feel comfortable with the distance, then I will work on my speed.

Even going at this slow pace, I have noticed my resting heart rate has fallen, as has my heart rate when I am walking - so I am getting fitter. And that, above all else, is what is important to me. Everything else will come in time.

Keep at it, take it in short, managable chunks.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It depends on what's keeping you from running. Some people can't given their circumstances.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I agree that you're probably running too fast. Slow it down, and cut down the intervals to just 30 seconds for a "week 0" instead of "week 1" if that's what it takes.

Or ignore the entire c25k plan for now, and plan a 1 or 2 mile route, and run slowly until you feel out of breath, then walk until you catch your breath, and repeat, without worrying about set intervals or distances for now. Just finish the distance you set for yourself. As you build endurance and strength, you'll go be able to run more and walk less.

A few weeks before I started C25K, my dog got out of the yard and I had to run to the park (only about a quarter of a mile away) to find him. I tried to yell to my husband when I found him, but didn't have the lung capacity to even talk, let alone yell. I was wheezing for literally hours after. In about 4-5 weeks, I was able to run a full mile and was so thrilled! Three months later, and I kept up with my long-time-runner brother in a 4.5 mile race.
  • takes time, patience, and learning how to get into a good grove (not too fast/too slow) deff. was easily winded when i started, it gets easier, not overnight, especially when you have a significant amount of weight to lose
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Slow down! Your running too fast. That is likley why you are so winded. If you can't speak in a complete sentences with out gasping, you're pushing yourself too hard. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. When I started running I could only run a minute at a time. I've ran 3 marathons since then. One when I weighted well over 300 pounds. Keep pushing yourself, You can do it!.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    When I first tried running, I could run for no more than a minute, so I tried other cardio work-outs to build up my endurance. I do a spin class a few times a week, and I used to get on the arc trainer (elliptical) for 20 minutes. After a few months, I started to do interval running. I would jog for 30 seconds at 5.2mph, then walk for 30 seconds at a slow 2.5 mph. Every 30 seconds, I would bump my speed up, then 30 seconds later, bump it down. I did this for 20 minutes about once a week for a few weeks. Then I was peer pressured into signing up for the Virginia 4-Miler at the end of September, so I've recently started actually jogging without the break. I was able to run 2 miles last week! So I went from not being able to hardly run a minute to being able to jog consistently for 30+ minutes. I will say, though, that I go REEEEALLY SLOOOOW, like 4.6mph slow, but it's a comfortable pace for me that allows me to FINISH, and that's the most important thing to me. :)

Yes, you WILL be able to run, but you have to build up your cardio endurance first. Start with walking, work up to intervall jogging (I actually love this). Start with something attainable and realistic and gradually increase the difficulty and length of time.
  • BucsGirl4Life
    BucsGirl4Life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started out walking as well. My suggestion is get a heart rate monitor. My husband who was 100 lbs overweight (now has lost 90 of those pounds), could run further and faster than I ever could. He wore a heart rate monitor and kept his heart rate in the 75 to 85% zone. When I purchased mine, I realized that I was going too fast and my heart rate zone stayed in the upper 90%. I've done a few 5k's and have gone from a finishing time of 45 minutes down to a 31 minute 5k and getting ready to run a 15K on September 22 and a half-marathon in December. Just keep it up, watch your heart rate and you can do it! Good luck.
  • gardinier
    gardinier Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    YES you will be able to run... just DON'T give up.

GO slow - your own pace. (sometimes i think to myself while running.. just keep my legs moving, thats all.. just moving, dont stop, i can keep them moving, who cares how slow, i am still running)

The slower you go- the easier to breath, until you start to get into better condition...THEN

Set weekly "little" challenges.. like a little faster, a little further- whatever YOU feel like.

YOU can do it.

( i couldn't run either- run half marathons now.. so i know what you are going through and i know it is possible.. AND i run to stay in shape.. best exercise i found to shed fat fast and keep me in top shape to play tennis, and no i don't love to run)
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    When I started the C25K program in March I couldn't even run the 30 seconds...I wanted to quit....I cried many times but I stuck with it and slowly but surely I started to be able to run for longer...then longer...I am running my 1st 5K event this Saturday.

The program is designed for peeps like us. Just put one foot in front of the other and do what you can do...if that is walking, then walk. If you can run for 10 second intervals then do that....it will get better and easier but you have to decide to stick with it and give it a fair chance.

I told myself that once I completed a 5K run (at a registered event) that I would decide if I was going to stick with it or not...

I have already fallen in love with running and plan to do it for as long as my body will allow me.

Is it easy...nope. Did it get easier....yep.

It is a great sense of accomplishment to start out on a run and to push myself to do the best run I can.

Cheers to you for giving it a go...its as easy as one foot in front of the other. (and yes, good shoes will make a difference)

I just completed my 5K run on Saturday and am proud to say I ran the whole way and did it in 40:10. I wasn't fast but I didn't care. All I wanted to do was to know that I could do it.

When I started the program in March of this year...I really had to push myself. I wanted to quit MANY times but eventually I got better and better. I still remember the 1st run I did that was 20 minutes straight...I felt SOOOO proud of myself for getting to that point especially considering I couldn't run 30 seconds straight when I started.

Cut yourself some slack and go at your own pace. It will happen for you too. Like I said before, all you have to do is put one foot in front of the other.

IF I can do it, anyone can!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Take it from me, it's a very rare beginning runner who doesn't feel like you do! As I am still learning from my (many) mistakes, I jotted them down what I'd learned in my blog:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Pay particular attention to point one:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

Even if you jog along barely above walking pace, once you have the endurance, the speed will come naturally, I promise!

If you're not already, run outside. Sometimes having the treadmill dictate your speed and bore you to tears means all you can think about is how out of breath you are, which can put you right off.

As others have said, repeat C25K weeks as many times as you need to until you're ready to move on. This isn't a race, it's all about you getting fit on your own terms.

Good luck, and do come back and let us know how you get on :flowerforyou:
  • jonielena
    Options
    I was in the same position as you are three months ago. Actually, not the same; worse. I was a chain-smoker and I lived an overall unhealthy lifestyle. When I first quit smoking and tried to start running it was complete HELL. I couldn't run more than 2-3 blocks without wanting to throw up/pass out, and after even 15min of running all of my joints hurt me sooo badly!

The good news is, 3 months have gone by and I can now run 5K in just under 32 minutes! If I can do it, so can you! You just need to make running a part of your routine and, more importantly, something that you love.

Here's what I did:
    For the first month I ran every other day and did restorative yoga/pilates 2x per week to help with the pain my body was feeling. When I went for my runs, I set a distance requirement for myself, but no time requirement. I started at 2K and worked my way up, taking as long as I needed. The trick for me was telling myself that it was OK to walk for more than half of my run at the beginning. Walking turned out to be great exercise too, and it made me quickly fall in love with getting up early every morning and going for a walk/run! It helps to pick a route that you enjoy... if you live near parks, a waterfront, gardens, etc., that definitely helps.

On month two I started incorporating strength training and interval training into my routine, and I noticed a huge improvement in my running pretty much immediately. After about 6-7 weeks of light training, I was able to run a full 5K without walking!

I'm currently nearing the end of my third month of running, and it's going really well! I feel great, my body's health and image has improved a lot, and I've found a great new way to explore my city :) If a former lazy smoker can fall in love with running, so can you! The first 2 weeks to a month will be really tough. Just be sure to stretch (yoga is your friend here), don't be afraid to walk most of your route at first, and learn to tell the difference between soreness and injury-type pain. I promise you that if you work through the initial pain you will come to love running. It's actually very addicting.

If you need some extra help, check out mapmyrun.com. If you have an iPhone, download the app and it will track your distance, time, etc.

Also, the Couch-to-5K training program is supposed to be very effective for beginners. Check it out!

Good luck! You can do it :)
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    When I started the C25K program in March I couldn't even run the 30 seconds...I wanted to quit....I cried many times but I stuck with it and slowly but surely I started to be able to run for longer...then longer...I am running my 1st 5K event this Saturday.

The program is designed for peeps like us. Just put one foot in front of the other and do what you can do...if that is walking, then walk. If you can run for 10 second intervals then do that....it will get better and easier but you have to decide to stick with it and give it a fair chance.

I told myself that once I completed a 5K run (at a registered event) that I would decide if I was going to stick with it or not...

I have already fallen in love with running and plan to do it for as long as my body will allow me.

Is it easy...nope. Did it get easier....yep.

It is a great sense of accomplishment to start out on a run and to push myself to do the best run I can.

Cheers to you for giving it a go...its as easy as one foot in front of the other. (and yes, good shoes will make a difference)

I just completed my 5K run on Saturday and am proud to say I ran the whole way and did it in 40:10. I wasn't fast but I didn't care. All I wanted to do was to know that I could do it.

When I started the program in March of this year...I really had to push myself. I wanted to quit MANY times but eventually I got better and better. I still remember the 1st run I did that was 20 minutes straight...I felt SOOOO proud of myself for getting to that point especially considering I couldn't run 30 seconds straight when I started.

Cut yourself some slack and go at your own pace. It will happen for you too. Like I said before, all you have to do is put one foot in front of the other.

IF I can do it, anyone can!

Whenever I felt like I couldn't do it I would repeat the following mantra to myself...

JUST KEEP MOVING GIRL, YOU ARE LAPPING EVERYONE ON THE COUCH.
  • cderienzo
    cderienzo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can. I started with the 5k program and was very winded. I have repeated weeks and found that chewing gum which distracts me from listening/thinking about my breathing helps tremedously! Don't doubt yourself--get out there and do it! If you're winded...that's ok. The next day even if you are winded even five seconds less it's an improvement! keep it up! YOU CAN!!!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Week one is hard! I was only able to do it because I had a month in of treadmill work. Start slow. Do your own week one. Run for 30 seconds and then walk for 3 minutes. Once you're comfortable with that, push it to running for 45 seconds. You can do this. :)