MFP doesn't calculate calories burned for strength training?

Does anyone know why MFP doesn't calculate calories burned for strength training?
I'm doing more of this at the moment because I am rehabilitating my knee after surgery and have noticed that MFP only seems to count cardio... although you can log some strength activities.

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a reason for this... Thanks!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Log it under cardio. The strength training area is just to keep track of your routine.
  • Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Strength training doesnt burn a whole lot of calorie burn in the moment, but has a huge after burn. I agree with the person above and say to log it under Cardio
  • domnut
    domnut Posts: 32 Member
    thanks guys! :) I just logged it as calisthenics, cheers!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Dear MFP tech support: please remove the Strength Training from the exercise log. It causes nothing but a confusion and makes new people post the same question day after day. Plus it's worthless for logging strength training.

For the OP, be careful, calisthenics have a fairly high burn rate here. Depending on what you did you may want to log under weight training.
  • You may consider wearing a HRM to see what your burn is...however, HRMs aren't that accurate for non-cardio activities. But it will certainly help to give you an idea. Everyone is different but it seems that most people log about 150 cals burned for 30-40 mins an 200-300 cals burned for 60-75 mins of strength training. It also makes a difference if you are doing circuit training or just straight heavy lifting. So yeah...calistenics might not be the best estimate for you as that tends to burn a bit more than straight lifting.
  • Um heart rate has very little to do with the calorie burn of true weight training. I agree with the post that says "remove it" it's totally worthless, and to calculate it at say a HR of 105 vastly understates the calories burned. MFP could figure this equation out relatively easily...but I guess they figure most folks using it are just barely getting into fitness.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Please don't remove the section! It's how I keep track of the amount of weight I am using. I don't have another log or write down my routine. Mfp tells me what I lifted last time and I can decide when I think it's time to increase the weights!