Need to Rant about PE in schools

Options
I had an ah ha moment just a bit ago. I don't think we should completely blame video games on our
children being overweight and inactive. I think our schools are to blame.

When I was in school we had PE at least 2x a week in grade school then daily in middle and high
school through at least the 10th grade. Why are the PE and health courses being removed from
the schools? Some may say it's because there are plenty of sports out there for kids to participate
in. But not all kids are in to sports. My oldest loves bowling and singing, my youngest wants to run
track and field my middle is all about band and his baritone saxophone. They really
aren't getting what they need.

For my youngest to run track and field come spring he has to get out there and start running on his
own to get to the point to even be able to try out for track but when will he have the time for that?

Okay..enough of that..I'll stop now while I can.

Replies

• nene01pop
    nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    not sure what schools your district is, but ours still has PE everyday... its parents that take their kids to doctors to get them wrote out of PE, and girls whining about everything down to TOM. Infact, we have to buy a gym bag, shorts and t-shirt just for gym. We as parents need to set the example, and for years I have been a bad one...
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think they should offer more PE at schools too. However as parents we need to take responsibility as well. We need to encourage them to get outside and move more, take them to sports outside of school, etc.

Also I think wight problems are more likely from food than exercise. They may burn 200-300 calories in PE (30 mins) but eat a few oreos at home and take in those calories in five minutes.
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For my youngest to run track and field come spring he has to get out there and start running on his
    own to get to the point to even be able to try out for track but when will he have the time for that?

this is a problem with evey sport. With some kids getting into developmental sports as preschoolers, kids whose parents don't have the resources or time to take their kids to soccer or whatever just cannot compete and get on the school teams. I'm not saying that the schools should compete with worse players in some sort of fairness exercise. I just think the playing field (ahem) is uneven for all students.

Then again though, parents probably wouldn't feel like they had to utilize developmental sports if they knew their kids were getting sufficient exercise in elementary school.

Quick note: many schools have no-cut track and field. Not everyone gets to go to every meet (you have to compete with your teammates for a spot in the meet), but everyone gets to work out, be on the team, and compete intramurally. Schools in my area also have no-cut football teams, but again, that doesn't mean that everyone gets to play on Friday night.

I agree with you that not offering PE is a huge problem,. I also hate how cursive handwriting, foreign language, geography and spelling have been punted onto the parents. If my kids would let me teach them all that, then I'd homeschool them. As it stands, though, I have my hands full teaching them life skills and manners, so I sort of think that if there is going to be compulsory schooling during the best 6 hrs of my kids' day, then they need to stop with the high-stakes testing and go back to teaching the fun stuff like PE, art, music, and foreign language. We cannot live on math and language arts alone.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and I agree. However, please note that public schools have to follow what their states have put in the curriculum. Due to budget cuts, fine arts and PE are sadly often cut.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think you should blame No Child Left Behind. Actually, we don't do anything in school except teach kids to pass standardized reading and math tests. At my middle school, shop is gone, home ec is gone, French and German are gone, I'd write to every elected official I could. It's only going to get worse.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and a parent. PE is great but even twice a week is not enough. My little guy sees me exercise all the time and he loves to run with me. He ran his first 1 mile race at 3 years old and he was able to do it by himself when he turned 6. My students know that I work out and that I'm a runner. They also love how playful I am and how much movement we do in the music room.

Schools just can't do everything. We try like he!! but we just can't.

I had regular PE growing up and hated it. Exercise wasn't important in my house. I didn't figure it out until I was out on my own.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Where I live they still have PE quite regularly. My oldest is still in Jr. High so I don't know about the high schools but in jr. high she has it a few times per week.
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Budget cuts and high-stakes testing. Yuck. I'm convinced that the testing is a plot by folks who want to undermine and defund the public school system.
  • jesuskroeger
    Options
    My oldest loves bowling and singing, my youngest wants to run
    track and field my middle is all about band and his baritone saxophone.

Perhaps once your middle gets into high school, he could join marching band if there is one in your school district. In my school district, if you do two years of marching band, that counts for the required P.E. credits. Our band is a competing band, so we're out there on the field almost every day come August marching and learning drill, and then every day after school for two hours all the way up to November.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Gawd the testing. Barf. Boo. Hiss.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I HATED PE.
    I was teased.
    Beat up.
    And excluded from all sports.

Kids in general are horrible creatures, and as I was the "Fat girl with no balance", I was a target. I'd rather no PE than being embarrassed like that
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think they should keep PE in schools, and have a variety of it. I think too many PE classes are too ' one size fits all and typical sports.( running, basketball , wtc) and when kids are required to participate.. and don't enjoy that sport.. I think they learn to not like exercise in general. A better idea would be to either offer a wider variety of activities (ballroom dancing, martial arts, etc).. or somehow supplement or give credit for activities outside of school.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's school's job to teach your child, it's not their job to get them moving, that's something that can easily be done at home, with the family. I had 3x a week in elem/middle school and everyday (for one semester) for 2 years in high school, we did not do any true exercise, we played badminton, lazy basketball, lazy volleyball, and we ran the mile 2x in the course of a semester. School PE is not a place that is going to get your kid ready for a sport, it might introduce them to a sport (volleyball, lacrosse, field hockey, etc) they might not necessarily come across otherwise, but they don't do enough to get a kid fit. I was more fit when I wasn't taking a gym class and I was running on my own after school, either on the X-Country track or in my neighborhood.

I'd suggest getting your son into a township team, they are all over and quite good.

You're son doesn't have to have the get-up-and-go to run track himself, as someone mentioned most school track teams don't cut, and those "privileged kids" often have determination and are running on their own, or they have parents who take them to a park track so they can run, that's what you can do. Take your kid to a track, time him, encourage him, be his coach until he has a coach, ask the school for the coaches information and ask how to prepare your son for track. The privileged kids have parents who pushed and asked for answers and how to help their kid, you can do that. As for, "when will he have time for that" make the time, do it on weekends, or two nights a week simply make it a priority, take him to the gym with you to run on the treadmill. I went to the gym with my mom at 5am EVERY morning all for years of high school, because I was passionate about field hockey and I wanted to be the best, if your kid wants it, he'll make it happen.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I agree. Unfortunately PE and arts/music have been cut from many schools due to budget issues. I do find it a little funny(not in a good way) that I homeschool and I am required to teach PE but the state has cut most PE programs. I have no problem meeting this requirement. I can't imagine trying to teach a bunch of kids, especially grade school age, that don't get to let off a little energy during the day.

In defense of teachers though, this is not their faults or the schools' faults and I do know many teachers that take it upon themselves to try to add some active time into the day for the kids.

*please excuse typos, I''m on my crappy laptop and the keyboard doesn't work half the time :)

edited to add: my agreement was with the thought that it is sad schools lose these programs, not with the thought that it is the schools fault.
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It's called money, or lack thereof. Don't blame schools. Many districts don't get enough money to hire the regular education teachers they need, hence bigger class sizes, less resources, ect, let alone specials teachers. The first thing to go when there is no money is the art, music, and so on. Do I think it fair? Of course not. Children should get that. BUT, it's the government that controls a lot of what schools get and what they can do. Write a letter to your local representative. Plus, education and role modeling start at home. Schools can't do everything. But hopefully if child gets a good example of being healthy at home, AND at school, they will be much more likely to grow into healthy adults.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't think schools or video games are to blame for children being overweight - their parents are. Don't buy them video games if they can't manage their time responsibly, and don't let them sit around the house if they need to exercise. A school is for education, not fitness. PE classes are nice in theory but I was never actually taught anything when I took them, just told to run/walk or participate in some sport of the week. I'd rather have schools offer classes that actually educate children on health and fitness. However, as a parent it's your job to teach your child how to make healthy choices and I don't think it's fair to put the blame on schools.

(any use of "you" was just me speaking in general, I am not trying to tell you how to be a parent, OP)
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    dont worry bout the marching band kid too much i did that thru high school with my clarinet and literally gained 10lbs in muscle weight every yr from it but my season ran thru december really good foot ball team incidentally my school did weight training in gym every yr
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and I agree. However, please note that public schools have to follow what their states have put in the curriculum. Due to budget cuts, fine arts and PE are sadly often cut.

This makes me super sad. I had so much fun in PE as a kid and when I have kids I hope they are able to enjoy the same!
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I had an ah ha moment just a bit ago. I don't think we should completely blame video games on our
    children being overweight and inactive. I think our schools are to blame.

When I was in school we had PE at least 2x a week in grade school then daily in middle and high
    school through at least the 10th grade. Why are the PE and health courses being removed from
    the schools? Some may say it's because there are plenty of sports out there for kids to participate
    in. But not all kids are in to sports. My oldest loves bowling and singing, my youngest wants to run
    track and field my middle is all about band and his baritone saxophone. They really
    aren't getting what they need.

Okay..enough of that..I'll stop now while I can.

Certainly at some point in a child's life, they can be indigent and refuse to participate and/or do the things we tell them to do. But blaming video games, tv or school on a child under 12 being fat is simply parental failure. Cook more healthy meals at home, don't indulge every food demand the child makes, exercise and make the child exercise too.

OP's suggestion sounds like a cop out and avoiding responsibility. Parents have to set the example and do a lot of the work to ensure the health of their children.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Where I live it became mandatory 2 years ago to have to participate in gym in order to get your gym credit to graduate! Which meant attending a gym class 3 times a week, each one was 75 minutes long, and then doing 55 physical hours outside of school (this is for grades 11 & 12... every grade under that typically had a gym class everyday and didnt have the mandatory 55 hours outside of class to complete)..