ROAD TRIP! Snacks??

Options
2»

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    When we road trip one thing we make sure to always pack is lots of veggies cut up in little baggies. Easy to eat without spilling, even for the driver.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Pack as much as you can, going to a Restaurant or raiding an AMPM while hungry will hurt more than any snack you pack ahead of time.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    raw veggies & fruits, nuts, jerky, water.

When I have long road trips I pack:

Small cooler with reusable ice packs
    -Apples
    -bananas
    -celery
    -baby carrots
    -broccoli
    -hummus
    -beef jerky
    -trailmix w/berries
    -V8 (a decent alternative to an energy drink)
    -water
    -sunflower seeds (the ones in the shell. Working on those while driving helps me not get road weary)
    -a treat (usually something sugary and bad for me but only 1-2 servings so when I want something, I have it. And it prevents buying more bad somethings because I stopped for a craving)
  • StephStepByStep
    StephStepByStep Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. So far we have fruit cups and granola bars, but I'm thinking of getting some pita, hummus, and string cheese :)
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You will need a meal in there too, not just snacks. Subway!! It's great on a road trip.
  • sweetiebrittie
    sweetiebrittie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    edamame- good protein source
    Larabars- they are expensive but you can easily make them yourself.
    Unsweetened dried fruit is a good sweet alternative to candy. I like the dried mango.
    Raw nuts, fruits, carrots, bell peppers, WATER
    I second the baking the chickpeas idea! They are a good protein snack.
  • shannon6900
    Options
    That sounds interesting!
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Bump

Camping trip next month - determined to stay on plan!
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You will need a meal in there too, not just snacks. Subway!! It's great on a road trip.

I second this! Subway is always the *safe* option for me.

If it's before 11AM you can get the subway english muffin + egg white + cheese and veggies for like 160 calories! So yummy!
  • Ange03063
    Ange03063 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What a great post! I just moved from MA to MD, and I'll definitely be referring back to this when I drive up to MA to visit family on Columbus Day weekend! Thanks!
  • jennyrae719
    Options
    bump; will definitely come in handy when my husband and I travel from ME to VA to visit family/friends. Determined to SOP; thank you everyone! :smile:
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    14.5 hour road trip, 3 different drivers, and not stopping at a hotel :noway: . Healthy snack ideas?? :drinker:

No stops? Bleargh!

Dried fruit, plain cookies (such as Nilla wafers).
  • StephStepByStep
    StephStepByStep Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    We made it (Finally!) We stopped at Dunkin Donuts, where I only got an ice coffee.
    I snacked on roasted unsalted almonds, dried mangos, and mixed fruit cups.
    When we got here and went out to eat everyone had pizza, but I got a salad and it tasted great!