Wing Chun/Martial Arts Logging Advice

Options
Hey guys,

I practice Wing Chun 2 hours every week (Wednesdays) and I have no idea how to log this onto my exercise diary. Have you guys had similar problems or do you practice a martial art too that you cannot log on here?

It's not a big deal but I just would like to log it just to keep a note of everything ><

Sorry for the long winded question!

xxx

Replies

• Punchabear
    Options
    I also practice Wing Chun. What I've been doing is logging time that's just the open hand forms as 'Tai Chi', and putting freestyle dummy and drills under 'Martial Arts'. I don't know how accurate it is, but I figure it's close.
  • bambi2307
    Options
    Awesome! That helps a lot hun. Thanks :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I don't do Wing Chun, but do a Longer Fist style and have done Tai Chi. Tai Chi is a minimal calorie burn and I don't think it compares to form work in Kung Fu: which tends to be more of a heart pumper! If you use the same intensity in your form work that you use in your drills, then I would guess they give a similar calorie burn.

I would try to subtract all the parts from the two hour class where you're standing around listening to the teacher (or watching them demo something on the star pupil!) and log the rest as straight Martial Arts....
  • KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Awesome points from all! I too am a Wing chun guy and run a school in Albany NY. I agree that you should subtract the talking time and log forms under a less caloric burn . Depending on how your classes run Wing chun could either be very aerobic or not at all. Feel free to friend me, I love networking w other martial artists on here.

Mark
    Www.combatvingtsun.com
  • mldeangelis
    Options
    I know this is a late add on to this post, but just wanted to thank you all for the input! I just started formally training Wing Chun a month or two ago and was having trouble determining how to track it. Thanks!
  • fadinasser84
    Options
    so let's say that we're loosing around 850 calories :)
    that's what I mentioned :)