Maximuscle protein

Options
anyone tried maximuscle Promax diet protein ?

group instructor recommended it

need some opinions before i buy it

cheers

Replies

• SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I eat the Maximuscle Diet bars or Maximuscle Promax Meal bars and find them great as a high protein snack/meal replacement (when I'm too busy to make food). I find them great post-workout too. There's 20g protein per bar and they're low in sugar. I don't drink the shakes though as I hate drinking my calories!!
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    P.s. I mainly stick with the Meal bars rather than the Diet ones because the Meal bars actually have less sugar (!) and 1g more protein. They put green tea extract and CLA into the diet ones but I don't think that makes them any more beneficial (and I prefer the taste and texture of the Meal bars).
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    The only difference between any of them is the taste and amount of sugar in them.

Personally (as an ex body builder) i prefer to get my protein from real foods, if you have to use a shake (which are fine and i do use them from time to time) then get a cheap tasty one, all the rest is branding and advertising bull****

I like this one http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/sports-supplements-whey-protein-optimum-health-ultimate-whey-protein-2-25kg

It is relatively cheap, provides good servings and tastes and mixes great (mixing can be done with 2 shakes).

I get a vanilla flavour and add stuff to it, there are cheaper though.

Its all sales gimmickry, eat some chicken instead ;-)

Peace
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I have the diet one. Taste is not that great but I mix it with ice cubes as it is easier to drink that way. Also really upsets my stomach but I may be allergic so that might not happen for you
  • Michael1307
    Options
    cheers for the advice guys. my gym sells the optimum health protein but instructor said if im aiming for fat loss & definition to go with a higher protein content.

I try to eat as much chicken as I can but im on a low income and its pretty expensive to eat several times a day every day especially for the frequency of my workouts.

i'll give both a try sometime to see the results of each
  • juicebabe2014
    Options
    I've just started maximuscle promax yesterday. Already lost some weight, I bought the chocolate flavour and I use water as I can't have any dairy. Its okay and you get used to the taste. I used it last night when I was wanting to snack. Low calories and fat only been 3.5g. bonus.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I personally think Maximuscle is overpriced because it's so well known and advertised with sponsors like Amir Khan and McLaren etc. Go for a different brand with exactly the same ingredients (always check the ingredients!) such as PhD Nutrition, CNP Professional or SCI-MX. Also, you can get the same products and a much cheaper price if you buy online than from your gym or supermarket. Check out http://www.affordablesupplements.co.uk/
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Maximuscle is the single most overpriced supplement brand in the history of supplements.

you are paying literally 3-4 times what you should be.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's overpriced.

Try the stuff from myprotein instead such as:

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/impact_whey_protein

If you buy the Strawberries and Cream flavour and mix it with semi skimmed milk it tastes pretty much like a strawberry milkshake (but the protein content will be lower though...)
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Agree that Maximuscle is a quality product, but way overpriced, due the the huge amount of advertising it has.

MyProtein is a good product, but the customer service is awful, especially as they have been taken over by the hut relatively recently. Don't just take my word, google it!

Currently my preferred supplement source is BulkPowders.co.uk as they are decent quality, and decent prices, and have a no nonsense approach - the products are named after what they contain or are intended to do, rather than gimmicky marketing names.

I'm not affiliated to any of these companies in any way, just have personal experience of using them all.
  • moosejuice16
    Options
    It's overpriced.

Try the stuff from myprotein instead such as:

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/impact_whey_protein

If you buy the Strawberries and Cream flavour and mix it with semi skimmed milk it tastes pretty much like a strawberry milkshake (but the protein content will be lower though...)

This is what i use too. Get as much protein from food as poss then just boost up the numbers with some whey protein. My favourite flavour is chocolate smooth as i can get that down with water pretty well.
  • gingeravenger07
    Options
    I have been using TrueMRP meal replacement shakes from MyProtein for about 6 months now. I have had no issues in that time with any bad customer service, and the shakes are nice tasting and not too bad a price. Using these and also making changes to my overall diet I have gone from 238lb to 192lb.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with BulkPowders and their service is great. I've never used MyProtein apart from their Liquid Egg Whites which were great.

I personally think that simple companies like BulkPowders will start getting bigger and bigger because provide what people want at good prices. Their unflavoured proteins have much more protein per 100g than the flavoured ones. Just add your own milk/cocoa or use their Liquid Flavour thing and it tastes exactly the same without anything artificial added.

That said, I'm not affiliated with any company, just a fan.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    That bulkpowder site looks pretty good.

I haven't had any probs with myprotein so far but it's good to have options...
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

bulkbowders is good but bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk are the best IMO.

free delivery on everything, text you to tell you exactly when it's going to arrive. Their own brand stuff is good quality, just a shame they don't do unflavoured versions.

http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/bodybuilding-warehouse
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm using Designer Whey, get it from Amazon or Trader Joe's. A 4lb jug is about $50 and lasts the two of us a fairly decent amount of time. We love our protein shakes, it's just what we need as in-between meals and and/or post workout drinks.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Don't get me wrong, MyProtein are great when there are no problems, and it's possible to go a long time or forever without a hitch. Unfortunately after a few years of no problems, they once sent me the wrong flavour of a product.

It sounds minor, and it was, all that was needed was to collect the wrong flavour and send the right flavour. Unfortunately emails went unanswered, calls had me on hold for ages, communication was terrible, initially I was expected to send the wrong item back at my own cost, despite the error not being anything to do with me. After waiting nearly 3 weeks without a solution, I asked for a refund instead, which itself took over 6 months for them to process! In the end they did offer me a free bag of protein. This was a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse had bolted, as I had become a happy bulkpowders customer in the 6 months of the fiasco, and have stuck with them since.

Aside form this, it's a shame this topic didn't come up earlier, as from today, supplements are now subject to 20% VAT, so there will be a pretty much instant 20% price increase today.