Fitbit or HRM??

Options
which one is worth the money? and where is the cheapest place to buy one from? thanks

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit but honestly I plan on getting a HRM as well, I think they are apples and oranges. My fitbit works great to track daily walking or jogging or stairs as well as sleep but when I am weightlifting it does squat for me. a Hrm would be great for that or other things such as swimming and bicycling or anything that the fitbit would not cover. The best prices i found for all of these is Amazon.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have both :bigsmile: I had the HRM first (Polar FT4) and the cheapest place to get that is eBay. I use the HRM to track any cardio workout, other than walking.

The Fitbit you wear all the time and in essence it's suped-up pedometer. It tracks the number of steps and adequately adjusts the calorie burn for simply walking. But it's completely inaccurate for any cardio workout (I do Tae Kwon Do and Jiujitsu).

For more info on the pros, cons and general discussion on it's use, have a look at the Fitbit user group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users
  • georgiag111
    Options
    Both.. Fitbit is not a hrm , I wear my Fitbit daily then hrm for " workouts"
  • Melissat33
    Options
    Amazon has some cheaper ones we have sport line with chest strap it was $60 at Walmart it has a bunch of bells and whistles lol really even if u have one that trust tells ur hr u can go to an on line calculator but I love the one I have cyz I can watch my calories burn off as I'm going
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It depends what your goal is and what you do for activity. If you want to see how many calories you burn throughout the day, then a fitbit is a good option. It measures steps, distance, calories burned, flights of stairs and sleep patterns. I have one and I love it. I rarely input exercise and just let the fitbit do it and it syncs with mfp. The down side is you can't use for things like swimming, It doesn't know the difference between level 1 and level 20 on the elliptical or if you are lifting weights. The HRM is good if you want to know how many calories you burn during a cardio activity (although some will use for weight lifting, I am not sure the data shows that that would be accurate). It does not measure all day activity but if you are wearing the chest strap, then it has fairly good accuracy + or - 20%. Some people choose to do both because they are different.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know anything about the Motorola Motoactv?
  • nicholjenny
    nicholjenny Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have both. I love my FitBit! It keeps me motivated and keeps stats for me that I wouldn't normally keep. The website allows you to log sleep patterns, heart rate, blood pressure, glucose stats. It measures daily steps, stairs, counts calories expended, and tracks sleep. The HRM I use because I have a heart condition and I monitor during exercise. I have the Timex and paid about $70 for it.