GOING ON HOLIDAY! SCARED ABOUT WEIGHT GAIN! HELP!

Options
hi everyone!

I just need some advice on what to do about keeping the weight off on holiday!

I'm going to Newquay with the girls for a week and i know it will consist of sunbathing (if weather nice) and drinking alchohol.

I know i will put some weight back on, but any ideas how to keep my weight gain at a MINIMUM?

Hopefully we will be going bike riding, snorkelling & horse riding though!

advice is much appreciated :)

Replies

• beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • rbliversidge
    rbliversidge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ya,
    I've just been to Torquay few weeks ago & no matter how much I logged my food, walked for miles & drank plenty of water in the day I still put a few pounds on when I got back.. :( so dont worry, you're on hols, so just enjoy yourself, eat & drink in moderation & if you do put some on, it's ok cos you can just work it off when you get back! I went back into healthy routine asap so I lost my holiday weight & a pound extra after a week :wink:

Have a good time x
  • pj27559
    pj27559 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was fearing this when I went abroad in July.

I always tend to walk a lot when on holiday, but I further imncreased the amount I walked and aditionally took a kettle bell video away with me and did ketlle bell excercises every other day, I also tried to run most evenings, around 3 miles in my case.

As regards food, I wasn't able to log my food due to avialability / cost of internet conenctions, but I tried to be as sensible with the food choices as I could. I even had a few deserts during the holiday, but only 3 or 4 in 10 days and tried to compensate in other areas.

I was suprised to see that I hadn't gained anything by the time I got back, I think I would have if I hadn't done the excercise though, as I am sorry to say that a fair amount of alcohol was consumed!

Try not to worry about it too much, but try to make good food choices, limit the alcohol (if you can) and try to excercise a bit more, and have a good holiday!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Just try to make healthy food choices and still exercise/stay active. That's about all you can do. Unless you go WAY overboard on how much you're eating/drinking you really shouldn't gain "fat" -- you may have some water weight gain and be up a couple of pounds but that usually drops off after a day or two of being back to the normal routine.

Good luck and have fun on holiday!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I traveled five weeks this summer and lost weight every week.

Go for walks on the beach. Log everything. Eat a good breakfast. Don't drink too much beer. When you eat out, watch your high calorie carbs and choose meals without too many sauces or too much cheese.

Have fun!
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    be really careful with the alchohol. Try drinking a glass of seltzer water between each alchoholic drink. It'll look like you're keeping up with the girls while only drinking half of the calories.

eat what you want but only small portions. Portion control is key. That way you'll avoid the constant 'nagging' about eating: "You're on vacation, just eat." "You don't need to diet, you look fine." "You're a party pooper." etc.

I just went on vacation last month. There was no choice of food. You ate what was prepared or you didn't eat. Even though the food for the most part was deep fried and super high in calories, I only gained 1 1/2 pounds over the week.
  • racbergs
    racbergs Posts: 72
    Options
    Just remember that it will be a quick weight gain which means that it will come off quickly as well :) I went on vacation to visit family a few weeks ago and gained 4 lbs but it only took me 2 days to lose it once I got home! Have fun and good luck!
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just returned from a holiday myself. I got in workouts on 2 of the 4 mornings and the other days were active with walking. HAven't weighed yet - I really didn't rack up a huge calorie surplus but would guess I'm retaining some water due to high sodium of restaurant food.

On the drinks - alternate alcoholic drink with water...will fill you up, keep you hydrated, and reduce the calories you consume.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I lost weight last year on vacation. Can't seem to do it this year.
    I walked a lot, drank lots of water, and tried to keep logging my food on MFP. I think that kept me in line.
    Have a wonderful time and Enjoy!
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    Just got back from 3 day walking break, ate what I wanted , put on 1.25lbs not bad now 3 days later after some good burns walking since I got home nearly back to normal.

Enjoy the journey, I know I'm enjoying mine

:drinker:
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I fear this too!!! We will be eating out for all meals while we're away and the sodium of restaurant food is a killer!!
    Im just going to make sure we walk a lot and eat decent .. it's all I can do
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    hi everyone!

I just need some advice on what to do about keeping the weight off on holiday!

I'm going to Newquay with the girls for a week and i know it will consist of sunbathing (if weather nice) and drinking alchohol.

I know i will put some weight back on, but any ideas how to keep my weight gain at a MINIMUM?

Hopefully we will be going bike riding, snorkelling & horse riding though!

advice is much appreciated :)

Your going to Newquay then there's no problem it's all hills there you'll burn off your nights out with no problem.

By the way check out my food diary, I'm not joking I enjoyed my food.

:drinker:
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this, I'm off tomorrow morning at 6am for 2 and a half weeks and will have no internet or access to a gym. Will watch this thread for any good ideas but so far plan to just make better food choices, drink lots of water and allow myself treats within reason - it is a holiday!!
    Have fun!!

By the way , agree with what one of the above said (sorry don't remember who) but once you're home and back to normal routine/food it does usually drop off within a few days :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    This is the approach I used when I decided to take time off from logging and exercise when I had my stress fracture: LOGIC.

I knew logically that I would have to eat 500 calories above maintenance each and every day to gain one pound a week. So I considered that my worst case scenario. I also knew that my maintenance calories are around 2200, so I'd have to eat 2700 calories every day for that scenario to take place. And that's a lot of food for me, especially if I wasn't exercising and working up more of an appetite.

But the risk of gaining 4 pounds during that month was worth avoiding the stress of trying to stay with a calorie plan when I couldn't live my normal, active life.

I think I might have gained at most one pound. In a full month of eating what I want, little to no exercise, and playing lots of video games. And it was gone as soon as I was able to start exercising again.

So... RELAX. Have fun and enjoy your holiday. Forget calories for a while. You can't do any major, irreversible damage in just one week. You might see an increase on the scale, but it will mostly be temporary water weight gain. So if that will bother you, don't weigh yourself until you've been back on track for a week.
  • clareeast
    Options
    All good advice here! Make sensible food choices (where you can!), alternate alcoholic drinks and water, be as active as you can, RELAX and ENJOY YOURSELF!! These strategies will minimise any weight gain, and if you do put on a pound or two, you know that you can lose it again!

Have a great time!
  • NicolaMapp
    NicolaMapp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What do you normally drink? Instead of wine have vodka and diet coke? Things like this can help too.

Have fun - haven't been to Newquay in a very long time, but usually very messy!!!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy myself and all things in moderation. Last month after I went on vacation I didn't weigh myself for over week after I got home. So, I never knew how much I gained. By the time I did weigh myself I was down a pound from my pre-vacation weight.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    We went to Ibiza last month .. and I came back 9lbs heavier - ruined weeks and weeks of hard work and totally not worth it. Take MFP with you (on your phone for example) and log everything. Don't over do it, enjoy yourself but really think about what you're putting in your mouth!
  • GefMongoose
    Options
    Just relax, putting on a few pounds isn't going to hurt and it will be worth it! just don't be too excessive, drink spirits/diet mixers, and work extra hard when you get back :)
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    im also afraid of gaining weight i went to jamaica this may i have been doing everything to try 2 get to 5 pounds off that i gained and i still havent been able to!!

now im leavin in 2 weeks for italy and im going for 3 weeks..i wont be site seeing ill b with family always eating im sure!!! i wouldnt want to gain more weight!! im excited and at the same time dreading this vacation!!