Runners- frustrating TMI question

Options

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I drink coffee when I wake up so it helps me go before I head out on my run. If you don't drink coffee that's fine, but you should probably wake up a little earlier to give yourself time to go before you leave. If you have to, do some jumping jacks or drills or something to get things going before you head out on your run.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Really common issue. I've had that problem before when running.

Lately I've been running on my lunch hour and I usually go pee 2x before I leave for my run and about half way through I have to go again! One of the last times there was a public bathroom open so I used that and then 2 days later I needed to go again and it was LOCKED!! I've even tried cutting back on my liquid intake in the AM to see if that would help and it didn't. So annoying!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Like has been suggested, go before you run. Wake up sitting down if you need to. Get the newspaper an a cup of coffee.

You might try a higher protein diet, that seemed to help tighten things up for me. I don't eat much in the way of grains at all, but it is whole grains when do.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Run a circle/circuit centred around your house, so that if you run a mile you're still only a couple hundred metres from the house at any one time. Instead of running 1 mile directly away from your house and having to turn around and run a mile back if you need anything.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You and practically every other runner experience this to some degree.

I used to roll out of bed and head out the door (which was ok when I was running shorter distances) now I set the timer on the coffee maker and take the time to enjoy a cup which seems to trigger some conditioned response........suffice it to say problem solved.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Awesome post!

I get up a full hour before I am scheduled to run. I eat a banana and down some caffiene.i started doing this after a very stressful run. I run subdivisions also and actually considered knocking on doors and asking to use the bathroom. I really didnt think I was going to make it home.

I did my first half marathon in april. I got up 2 hours before race time, ate breakfast and drank some caffiene. I pooped twice before leaving the hotel. This was a big race; 10,000 plus runners. When I got to the race I immediately got in line for the bathroom. The line took nearly 15 minutes. When I was done I walked out of the bathroom and got back in line again. I did that THREE times until it was time to line up! :laugh: I used all my time standing in line to stretch. I made it the full half without having to stop for the bathroom. YEA!!

LOL
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You and practically every other runner experience this to some degree.

I used to roll out of bed and head out the door (which was ok when I was running shorter distances) now I set the timer on the coffee maker and take the time to enjoy a cup which seems to trigger some conditioned response........suffice it to say problem solved.

A friend of mine calls coffee "rope lube" due to that very response.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    On my long run days, I get up an hour to hour and a half early, have some steel cut oats and coffee. (I have to eat before a 8-10 miler or I just crash). The coffee really helps get things moving. My fiancee hates coffee so I make him drink warm water and that seems to help him along. Some days we get out the door early and other days its late...but we dont usually go running until after we feel better. But if you are strapped for time in the morning like it sounds like you are....bring toilet paper and find a wash or bush. We always carry it just in case...although in the desert of AZ there arent a lot of good trees to hide behind.

Good luck!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this!! LOL, at 7 miles out of the 9 I did this morning I had to dive into some bushes...literally! I ran my last 2 miles worrying about posion ivy and feeling un-clean! (TP will not accompany me on long runs) I'm a 4am runner too! I'll have to read the responses for ideas! After the run was even worse and this is not my 'normal' time!
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    You could always wear depends, HA.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, it's definately not just bears that *kitten* in the woods.......

Now I force myself to go beforehand like many others have said.

I found this to be far worse when on holiday in a hilly location where the start of my run had to be a long downhill section. I haven't seen anyone else mention that here so perhaps I jumped to the wrong conclusion but it certainly felt like something in my downhill gait was causing movement!
  • ChiFortunate1
    ChiFortunate1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh Runners Trots, nothing new my dear. Try a route with places you can go and "go" along the way, McD's doesn't care if you use their restrooms, neither does Wal-Mart. If those aren't along your way and you don't have Port-o-Pots along your route then try to get it all out before you go, Coffee does work wonders.

www.runnersworld.com has everything you ever wanted to know about every aspect of running.

21371726.png
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

www.runnersworld.com has everything you ever wanted to know about every aspect of running.

I agree 100% with that comment, and I approve this msg.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I also do coffee (and food, usually a bar of some sort) the minute I crawl out of bed, so I can go before I run.
  • cosmanda
    Options
    I read somewhere a long time ago to drink a cup of hot water or anything else warm and it will stimulate things. I get up at 4:30 and drink a cup of coffee or warm water every morning and it works for me. Also, I think your body eventually adjusts to having to go within a few minutes of waking.
  • davisrl0
    davisrl0 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ok, well it sounds like I need to be drinking coffee ahead of time! I am an avid coffee drinker, but I've never tried drinking it before a run. I always just cut the coffee on after I get back....so I wouldn't know if coffee made things move for me (since it happens the second I walk in the door from a run!). Right now, my short runs are 3m, so I'm done in 30 mins, but when the short runs get to be 5 miles, I'm going to HAVE to go before hand. Just sitting on the toilet trying to talk one up, does not work for me. And as you guys obviously know, whether you have to hold it for two miles or 100 yards, its very uncomfortable!!

I also do eat a pretty protein rich diet....I'm just very regular.

Thanks everyone! :)
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Totally try getting up a little earlier and forcing yourself to go. I did a 9 miler recently, and at 3.5 I was like, crap, this SUCKS!

Pun intended?
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    That's why I run later in the day. Only thing I can think of is waking up earlier, have a coffee (gets me going lol) or do a few jumping jacks to get the system going.

ha! This ^^^^ do some jumping jacks and get yourself going before you get going. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yup, running is pretty much the only thing that keeps me regular! All my regular running routes have a public convenience within the first mile or two, or my warm-up is around the block so I can drop back home before carrying on! It's been a bit, ahem, touch and go some times! :blushing:
    This is me. I haven't been regular since puberty. But get me running and BAM I have to go. I literally have two routes, one that circles back past my house at one mile and one that goes past walmart at one mile.
    Invariably I have to go.
    If I don't run? I don't have to go.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere a long time ago to drink a cup of hot water or anything else warm and it will stimulate things. I get up at 4:30 and drink a cup of coffee or warm water every morning and it works for me. Also, I think your body eventually adjusts to having to go within a few minutes of waking.

When I was younger I served food in an old folks home. We used to give many of the residents hot water with their meals. Why? Hot water is a very good, very gentle, laxative. That is why coffee works to get you going.