Options
    Bump!
  • bdseagle
    Options
    bump
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of research on this at one point, to find which book to use, and the best one out there was "Convict Conditioning" by Coach Paul Wade. The most honourable mention is the "Be Your Own Gym."

The convict conditioning book is purely about building full body strength and is laid out in a way that is perfect for beginners. there's no confusion on where to start, how to go about it, nothing about nutrition (you don't have control over that as a convict), etc etc. BYOG is a lot more confusing and really, all the workouts are just variations on what is covered in Convict Conditioning.

I would suggest picking up both, do the workouts in CC, and use BYOG for everything else! That's what I'm doing.
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    INSANITY

Exactly what I was thinking :)
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There are tons of online bodyweight only workouts out there:

bodyrock.tv

bodyripped.net/

jennfit.ca/

zuzkalight.com/

blogilates.com/
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises
  • lina20
    lina20 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

This is a good place to start. I also highly recommend kettlebells. Here's a good example of a kettlebell workout video for beginners: http://www.myomytv.com/train-along-with-me-beginners-kettlebell-workout/

I like that website in general. Or maybe I'm just smitten with the Irish lady. They also have some beginner bodyweight exercise videos: http://www.myomytv.com/category/beginners-corner/beginners-bodyweight-workouts/
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    YESSSSS!!!!!! INSANITY!!!
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LeellenMack
    LeellenMack Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Looser5555
    Options
    bump
  • AuburnGirl2001
    AuburnGirl2001 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • D0ry
    D0ry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump :)

I was just wondering the same lately. thanks for posting. and thanks for answering, everybody ;)

I'm reading a book right now about it (something like Lose weight without dieting) and there it's written the same - Pushups and Squads are the best thing for training and building muscle mass. And it's not only visually, but also real strong muscles. So they say :)
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a pull-up bar for your house, too. Pull-ups are a great exercise that work multiple muscle groups. Simple push-ups are great as well and you can do a lot to mix them up (elevate feet, close grip, etc.). When you get good, though, you'll want to add weights to continue adding resistance. I'm going to look through some other folks' suggestions to find good exercises for the lower body.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! We have some weights at home but I'm intimidated by them, lol. Love the idea of bodyweight conditioning. I'm currently doing the 30 day shred. Once I'm done with it, I was thinking about doing the 100 pushups challenge (hundredpushups.com), perhaps combined with a squats challenge and a crunch challenge. I'm definitely going to look into the suggestions on this thread!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CassandraChloeJ
    CassandraChloeJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump