Going from Turbo Fire to Insanity question

Options
smccb
smccb Posts: 99 Member
I completed Turbo Fire and Advanced Turbo Fire with absolutely great results. I got down to my ideal weight, which I never thought possible, and lost ALL belly fat.

I then moved into Insanity, and am now in week 4 of month 1. I have gained 7+ lbs back and have regained some belly fat. Clothes that were hanging off me during my Turbo Fire days are now tight, and there are some that I just can't even fit into.

I am still very happy with my weight and body. I am simply curious as to how this could happen. I really feel that the Insanity workouts are far more intense than Turbo Fire. I would have thought the weight would have stayed off easily. I would have expected this had I gone to an easier workout, but Insanity????

Any thoughts??? I would love to hear others who had gone from Turbo Fire to Insanity and what their experience was. Did you find you had to eat more to keep up with the intensity? Or was Turbo Fire just as intense, but not as "psychologically" so. I do think I am eating a bit more now. Could that be it? I want to have the energy to do the workouts well, and when I am not well nourished, I tend to be tired throughout.

Any advice would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Replies

• Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    you may want to watch your sodium input, if you are eating more salty things you could be keeping some water, that's not unusual with high intensity workouts like insanity, though it should disappear over the next couple weeks.
    Also I believe that TF works a lot your midsection leading you to tuck your belly in a bit more (lots of kicks), there is less of this in insanity even if you still work the core, it's not in the same way.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I completed Turbo Fire and Advanced Turbo Fire with absolutely great results. I got down to my ideal weight, which I never thought possible, and lost ALL belly fat.

I then moved into Insanity, and am now in week 4 of month 1. I have gained 7+ lbs back and have regained some belly fat. Clothes that were hanging off me during my Turbo Fire days are now tight, and there are some that I just can't even fit into.

I am still very happy with my weight and body. I am simply curious as to how this could happen. I really feel that the Insanity workouts are far more intense than Turbo Fire. I would have thought the weight would have stayed off easily. I would have expected this had I gone to an easier workout, but Insanity????

Any thoughts??? I would love to hear others who had gone from Turbo Fire to Insanity and what their experience was. Did you find you had to eat more to keep up with the intensity? Or was Turbo Fire just as intense, but not as "psychologically" so. I do think I am eating a bit more now. Could that be it? I want to have the energy to do the workouts well, and when I am not well nourished, I tend to be tired throughout.

Any advice would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Insanity is more intense...I know it made me starving all the time. I recommend checking your nutrition, the things you are eating seem to not be fueling you as you need. (Feeling tired is an indicator)

What type of nutrition plan are you following? Are you taking the prescribed rest? Sleeping well?
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think its either water or your diet... compare your food from when you were doing TF to now... I myself finished P90X and now doing a hybrid workout of P90X and Insanity and find that I like the cardio better.
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I started TF 2 weeks ago and while I feel stronger I have not seen any results yet. I'm not giving up just yet. I'm bumping this because I'm curious about Insanity as well. I would agree with the previous poster that your not using your core muscles the same way in Insanity as you would have in TF. Maybe mix it up and add a few days of fire to keep your middle where you want it. Good luck ;)
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your body is holding on to more water while it adjusts to the new program? After 120 days of Turbo Fire I'm sure your body was used to a certain level of intensity and movement style. Since Insanity is completely different your body may be in a state of shock and needs another adjustment period t acclimate. I've heard the real results from Insanity don't show up until Month 2. I'm 1/2 way through Recovery Week (week 5) and will be starting the 2nd month on Monday. I'm hoping to see some good progress during the next 30 day cycle.

Good luck to you in your program!
  • smccb
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all their advice. This is very encouraging.

So....I am going to try to track my food a little better. I am a huge picker, so that makes it really hard to track what I eat. I assume though that I should be eating more than I did with TF? Also, with Insanity is 40% protein, 40% carb, 20% fat a good thing to aim for on a daily basis?

About the sodium intake....what is a good amount of sodium?

Thanks!
  • Maasmondy
    Maasmondy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just finished Insanity and I'm going to guess that you're holding on to a bit of water weight due to changing programs. After 'recovery week' weigh again.

I 'think' sodium should be under 2500. Also remember to get in an extra glass of water for each hour of physical activity you do a day.

Keep using mfp to track calories to see how much more you're eating. I doubt you ate your way to beign 7lbs heavier in 3/4 weeks.

Keep working out, take pictures and measurements.

You can do it!
  • smccb
    Options
    Just curious, but WHY do we hold onto water when switching exercise programs?
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think the insanity diet plan (that comes with insanity) is a 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat diet. I would follow it -- and calculate your TDEE and then subtract 500 from that and find out how many calories you should be eating to lose weight. When I did that and followed it closely during my first time of doing insanity I lost 7 pounds and a couple inches from everywhere.