Low Knee Impact

Options
Does anyone know any good low knee impact exercises? I tore my knee up a couple of years ago and am not supposed to do anything that puts any more than a normal walking amount of pressure on it.

Heather

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Well, walking would be a good start. How about swimming and/or water aerobics, bicycling, rowing, low impact aerobic classes. You could also do upper body weight training (from a seated position)

Lots of options!
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Well, walking would be a good start. How about swimming and/or water aerobics, bicycling, rowing, low impact aerobic classes. You could also do upper body weight training (from a seated position)

Lots of options!

I was going to suggest most of these! Also cross trainer is pretty low impact. x
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell training. Swinging that bad boy around with good form is NO impact killer workout.
  • Wingnut755
    Wingnut755 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is a good low impact maching, swimming
    Ive had 6 knee surgeries (sports related) and I still able to do what I want. strengthen the others muscles, tendons and ligaments. what did you hurt on your knee(s) ACL , ect, talk with a sports therapist he should be able to give you the work out to build up the other muscles.
  • Middle_Edwards
    Middle_Edwards Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    An easier question is what didn't I hurt ... lol ... I dislocated my left knee and destroyed my ACL, MCL, and PCL.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I had both knees repalced this past winter, so I feel for you!

I've been getting back into:
    bicycle - give yourself lots of time to warm up before starting your program
    ellyptical - adjust the incline if you feel pain
    treadmill - raise incline rather than increasing speed (higher speed=more pounding=more knee pain)
    swimming - even if you don't swim laps, there are lots of exercise you can do in the water

And our gym just got a new machine from Octane that's kind of like an ellyptical but you're seated so it's much easier on the knees.