1.5lb Weight Gain in One Day

I have no clue what I did wrong. I was within my calories for the day. According to the heart rate monitor I burned 642 calories yesterday. The only thing I can think is that it is water retention from working out in the heat yesterday. So frustrating.

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 402 Member
    Your weight fluctuates wildly from day to day. Please don't weigh every day without realizing this otherwise you will drive yourself crazy.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    They say it takes 3500 surplus calories to gain a pound. Unless you really pigged out yesterday, I would say that you're retaining water.
  • beckeyminch
    beckeyminch Posts: 6 Member
    I will be the first to admit I am driving myself crazy. It holds me accountable though. I dont know how to stop weighing daily =(
  • I weigh myself daily too - and this can be hard. But that's why I log my food - and why this website is great! You probably are retaining water (and I have bowel issues that can contribute to this as well). If you eat a lot of sodium, make sure you eat potassium too as your body hormones can get out of whack if your sodium/potassium levels aren't in balance - and this can cause your body to gain weight. Not to mention retain water! :)

Just drink a ton of water today & you should see a difference in the next couple of days.
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    How was your sodium on the day in question? If I over do it with sodium, I have a few pounds of water weight for a while. Weigh again in a few days, and if you keep your sodium in check, I'll bet you see positive changes.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    I think you'll be retaining water, bet you that you'll have dropped right back down tomorrow morning!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Definitely water. I was high on my sodium the other day, and jumped up 4 lbs. Lost it 2 days later. Drinking water helps flush the excess salt/sodium out. :smile:
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    I do that a lot. More than I care to count. Are you drinking enough water? How is your sodium?