SHIN SPLINTS!! Ahhhhh

Options
I have been running for a few months now and worked up to about 3 miles. I went to a professional running store and was fitted for the right shoes. I stretch, I drink water, I haven't really tried to increase my speed, I don't try to increase my distance by more than 10% a week.... I've done everything right but I still get shin splints! I have another 5K coming up in September and resting is not an option. I tried that the first time and I'm just not going to lose all the progress I've made again. I've heard don't run on hard surfaces.. sometimes I use the treadmill and sometimes I run outside on the sidewalk depending on the whether. I'm not going to run in the grass though, I don't need a sprained ankle!

So my question to runners is do you run through your shin splints? Mine aren't that bad. Really it's only in one leg and it's tolerable. I was thinking of wrapping it with an ace bandage when I run because I've heard compression works and then stretch and ice it when I get home.

Replies

• Lisdol
    Lisdol Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oops *weather. I always have to fix my typos.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had them once in high school, but never again since then. I think after a few days off they went away. I'll occasionally get shin splint-like pain in my shins if I haven't walked in a while and then go for a speed walk. But after a day or two of walking they go away.
    I think the general treatment is ice and rest and try to ease back into it. YOu might try some speed walking, see if that will help strengthen your lower legs/ankles -- I hear that helps with shin splints.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Not a pro or even close but what about increasing your calcium on top of what you are currently doing? Good luck!
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    two aspirin seem to work
  • bayan2010
    Options
    I agree! Speed walking is super hard, and it stretches and strengthens your shins like crazy. I did it for 2 months to get my shins in better shape.....I was previously getting shin splints all the time, and now I don't. I'm guessing it really helped, and it's not just a coincidence? HAHA. Good luck.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Yes. I would try to stretch/ice them well (put water in paper dixie cups, peel away the paper and ice like a push pop. And take some ibuprofen. I wouldn't overdo but continue to train. If it keeps up you might want to go see a doc because you could have a stress fracture or something similar.
  • bamadwl
    bamadwl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I started a walking program earlier this year just recently started trying to jog some and asked my company's wellness coordinator about shin splints. She recommended icing them soon after walking / running to decrease the pressure on the shins that causes the pain.
  • Lisdol
    Options
    Thanks!! I will try ALL of the above :)
  • pursuitoffitness
    Options
    Make sure you ice for 20 mins off for 20 and repeat like twice. I hate having shin splints and I get them a lot (especially during track season). There are a certain type of compression almost leg warmers that you can buy and they are really effective. If you don't feel like running on grass, try running around a soccer field. I'm pretty sure (depending on the size) that 6 times is a mile. It gets boring but it really does feel better running on that then running on hard pavement. Make sure you ice before and after your run! If it really gets bad, go to your doctor because you could get a stress fracture from them. Hope this helps!!
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I get horrible shin splints and please take the time to get better or you will have to stop. It causes swelling in the muscle and can become much more painful. The stretches and exercises will depend on where you are getting your pain, there are several different types. You should rest, ice and elevate. Some people find compression or taping very helpful. If you're going to run on the treadmill and outside it could just be the difference in surface. But you should try to run on the street and not the sidewalk. Concrete is a much harder surface. As for running in the grass that can actual make them worse because you can become unstable. Here is a link to lots of info.

http://www.healthfitonline.com/resources/articles/shinsplints.html

you may want to go back to the running store for an evaluation on your gait, it could be your posture as you run. Hope this helps. :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I play semi-pro Australian Rules Football and rugby year round. I have always had extremely tight calf muscles, and as a result, also shin splints -- all season, every season.

Pop two Advil 20 minutes before you run, then stretch post-run paying extra attention to your calves, hamstrings and quads. You can also work on ankle mobility, as shin splints often have to do with limited mobility in the ankle joint due to prior injury, scar tissue or poor running form. Then, once you've cooled down, ice your shins. 10 mins on, 10 mins off for an hour. Someone else mentioned the frozen Dixie cups thing... that works extremely well.

To avoid them in the future, practice a midfoot strike when you run, keep your calf muscles loose, invest in a foam roller and do it consistently, and keep hydrating and stretching. Stretch the whole leg!

Best of luck!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Try compression socks. Hope it helps! Good luck!
  • ntlpeterson
    ntlpeterson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One thing you can do is to find a wall, curb, step, etc and put your foot against the raised surface to get a good stretch. You could also have someone massage your lower legs. Take the heel of the hand in long, slow motion from the bottom of the leg to just before the knee joint using a high-ish pressure. This will hurt. Your shin splints might not be gone afterwords but your legs will feel better after the massive pain. I think you can also get a rolling pin looking device at some running stores that does the same thing.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Ice them right after you run, and then periodically during the day. And the best thing to do is look at your running form....shin splints are an overuse injury, so you need to figure out what kind of imbalance you have going on that is causing them in the first place. I've found the best place to start with form is your cadence (how many steps you take in one minute). If you are at a correct cadence (around 180 per minute), then the rest of your form is typically good (it's hard to keep that cadence in bad form). And I'd like to stress that cadence has nothing to do with speed....you can have 180 whether you are running slow or sprinting.....it's the power and length of the strides that make you go faster or slower. Good Luck!
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    Hey! Congrats on your 3 mile achievement! That is huge. Running is incredibly hard on our bodies. I was training for a half marathon that is in October. I started my training at the end of February and did a gradual increase training calendar as it sounds you are doing yourself. I am now in a boot and have not been able to run or do any real cardio for 12 weeks. So here is my advice - when your shins hurt. Stop running. Take a day or 2 off. Not a long break. Shin splints are caused by the muscle getting fatigued. And it is the same muscle that is connected to the ball of your foot. If you continue to run while this muscle is getting fatigued, it will eventually stop cushioning your foot and you will get either a stress fracture or a fracture in the ball of your foot. It doesn't hurt and you may not notice it right away but it is NOT FUN. So my only advice with shin splints is listen to your body. If they hurt, then stop. If you feel like you can push through them, then do it. But just be sure to listen to your body. Also, don't do any "long" runs on back to back days. Be sure to give a days rest from running and do some cross training, weight training or just rest on your off days. Marathon runners can run long runs back to back, but newbies (you and I) cannot. So that is my word of advice and I wish you the best of luck!! You can add me if you'd like, I plan on continuing my running journey as soon as I get out of this poor boot! (hopefully only 3 more weeks!)
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You said you don't run on hard surfaces, but then said you sometimes run on the sidewalk. According to my podiatrist (who I had to visit after nearly getting a stress fracture in my foot), sidewalks are one of the worst surfaces to run on. After the foot incident (at which time I also had horrible shin splints), she told me to stick to either the street or a track. The asphalt of the street absorbs more shock than the concrete of the sidewalk. I can't say that I never get shin splints anymore, but they are few and far between since I made this switch.

Also, I agree with all the posters who have said to use compression socks. Good luck!

ETA: Sorry, just re-read the part about hard surfaces. Misread your wording at first. I don't blame you, I won't run in grass for the same reason. Obviously you don't want to run down a busy street, but if you have a residential neighborhood you can run through to stay on the street, this would be good. Of course, a school track would be even better.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I run 5 miles at a time, 4-5 times a week and I've never had them...but I chalk that up to staying properly hydrated EVERYDAY, a daily potassium supplement EVERYDAY and a proper warm up and cool down EVERYDAY.

I hope it gets better for you... :drinker:
  • Lisdol
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome advice!!! I was trying to do some running everyday but I do realize I need to mix up my routine a bit. Thinking about adding 30 day shred and some other things. As long as I'm doing some activity! I'm going to have to find a track or somewhere else to run though, no more sidewalk.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I used to have problems with shin splints
    I took advil bit before run, got myself a pair of compression socks (they have alot of cute/different colors available now) =)
    made certain I walked (cool down) & stretched (off curbs feel great) really good after run, used a roller & finally iced if needed. Oh & make sure you are properly hydrated before & after your run. I hope you get to feeling better soon!! =)
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't have much advice, apart from I heard the icing thing is good, but I wanted to say to everyone who's answered here - THANKS SO MUCH!!! :flowerforyou:

I used to run a lot, but now after many injuries I'm just going back to running and trying the C25K, and I majorly suffer from shin splints! I'm going to try all of these suggestions :smile: