What are you tricks for cutting down on Calories?

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I use cooking spray instead of oil to pan cook veges.
    I switched from creamy dressings to vinaigrettes and then still add more vinegar or lemon juice.
    I cut out bread products and have starchy vegetables instead

Same. :) I also eat more oven roast turkey breast and egg whites than any other protein food.
  • bbc_angie
    Options
    I've about cut out all carbs, and when I do wat them it's whole grains, I switched from skim milk in my morning shake to almond milk- that cut about 70 calories alone! I have a goal to not always finish my entire meal. Feeling satisfied and leaving a bite or two on the plate make me feel like I am in control! THINK about and LOOK at what you are eating- don't just assume it's healthy because it says low cal or low fat :)
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My trick is to cut out liquid calories or at least cut down.....Otherwise I enjoy my food and work hard to be able to eat it.

Same here. I don't drink my calories, it seems like a waste when I could have real food.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I eat less.
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When eating out, order your salad dressing on the side and when you eat the salad dip the end of the fork into the salad dressing and then into the salad. never pour the dressing onto the salad. Works for me.
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    A slice of bread contains less calories (more than half!) when you TOAST it :). Who new?
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Lotsa vegies,...lotsa steaming of everything possible.

I wont give up my coffee cream so I drink one latte mug instead of 2 or more.
    I wont give up my favorite bacon tomato dressing, I just cut back on the amount

Ive gotten so freakin picky over meat anymore that I dont eat any variety to speak of.
    90-10 ground chuck is about my favorite...again I just cut the size down.

I drink about 10...maybe 12 16oz bottles of water or MORE every single day. I have
    ONE can of diet root beer each day usually. one cuppa coffee, one 4 oz tomato juice.

Like most here...I think most of the work has been in cutting portion size rather than
    completely cutting out foods ya love.
  • sophi101
    sophi101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat rye cruskits ;) their nice with hummis and ham mmmm
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    To help cut back on my salad dressing calories I keep my dressing in a cup on the side then I dip each bite into the dressing. I usually eat less than half of what I would if I had poured it over.
  • sillab
    sillab Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Here is my trick for using less salad dressing. Dip your fork in the salad dressing(so that the dressing is on the tines of the fork) before each bite of salad instead of pouring the dressing on top of the salad. You will be amazed how much less dressing you use!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I never scrimp on the fat or calories and I try and add fat when ever it will make my food taste better.

Instead of trying to get my meals as low cal as possible I try for just the opposite and make them as high calorie as possible while still being nutritious. The result? I eat 2 1/2 times a day and don't snack which means I probably eat easily 400 calories less a day now than before when I was watering down my salad dressing, eating my tuna fish dry and sauteing my vegetables in water.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I never scrimp on the fat or calories and I try and add fat when ever it will make my food taste better.

Instead of trying to get my meals as low cal as possible I try for just the opposite and make them as high calorie as possible while still being nutritious. The result? I eat 2 1/2 times a day and don't snack which means I probably eat easily 400 calories less a day now than before when I was watering down my salad dressing, eating my tuna fish dry and sauteing my vegetables in water.

I do this too. I don't outright 'add' but I do use full fat things like PB, sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt etc. I still eat about 4 times a day and I'm set to 1400 cal. I find that if you try to 'cheat' with low cal/low fat you also get low flavor and end up feeling like you got robbed (at least I do) then just end up eating more to try and find what you're missing.
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When fat is necessary, I use Organic coconut oil. It is very thin and less viscous than regular oils, so it coats better with a lot less and still gives you a nice toast or crust. I can get away with a teaspoon instead of tablespoon, cuts the calories in a third.

I get non-fat plain greek yogurt in the big tubs, and add my own fruit with a little sugar free fruit spread and some Truvia. My favorite is Dannon Oikos - very creamy and lovely. My favorite mix-ins are honey and vanilla, fresh diced strawberries, apples with cinnamon, crushed pineapple with coconut, almond extract, lemon curd with blueberries. Saves money AND calories. And tastes amazing!
  • stillme4you
    Options
    Eating a lot less. 1/3 my usual portions and not eating desserts at all. CUT OUT THE SUGAR!! NO POP!!

Put pictures of models in bikinis on your fridge and pantry. That should steer you away from grabbing those chips & dip, or twinkies, ding dongs, or other crap food.

Cut carbs.
  • chrisdykes
    Options
    I also add vinegar to salad dressing and a little water. Cuts calories quick!
  • chrisdykes
    Options
    I also load egg whites with veggies. Does the job!
  • Awesomom
    Options
    I've had a hard time getting used to fat free dressings, so I started combining regular & fat free for a 1/2 fat dressing & the taste is awesome!! (Just like the regular dressing)
  • dewell2
    dewell2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I have a sweet tooth I make sugar free/fat free choc pudding and top it with fat free cool whip and some chopped almonds. Almost feels like I am having a "bad" sundae. I also bulk up my pasta with veggies
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    when I eat salad, I usually eat regular dressing on the side. I dip my fork in the dressing first and then get a bite of salad. I have been amazed at how little dressing I actually need and eat. For sweets, I love the sugar free fudgsicles and sugar free pudding. I love fresh strawberries and watermelon. Lean meats, lots of veggies, and I watch my pasta, bread, and rice comsumtion.
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    For salads I use extra virgin olive oil/vinegar or straight lemon juice.

I cut out all liquid calories for the most part. I rarely drink milk and when I do 1/2 cup to 1 cup at most, usually only every couple of days. Always water, water, water.

I eat a lot of "volumetric" foods like green leafy things, veggies, fruits, etc. which have a higher water content and so therefore fill me up more. I eat the same amount I would in high water content items but at about half (or less!) the calories as if I had eaten something with less water / more calorie dense.

My "treats" are good for me too - like fiber one brownies, home made whole wheat banana muffins, etc.

The way I have been eating recently most days I find myself having to eat more in the evening because I don't have enough "net" calories to be comfortable I am not going into starvation mode. And I'm never hungry!

Small meals often, lots of water.