Potty training.

Options
2»

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Don't push. I think 2 is pretty young. My son was 4 before he was fully potty trained.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    My little man is 17 months old and potties every night! If I had the time to work with him all day, I think he'd be in undies in no time! :)) I'm just proud of that and wanted to brag for a minute ;) I couldn't tell you why he's so good at it other than the fact that my husband and I freak out and get wayyyy excited when he does potty and he gets a special treat so he knows it's a good thing!
  • follmer20
    follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm not pushing it. I'll let him it decide when he's good a d ready. I tell him all the time that he's a big boy and big boys use the potty. He's just a stubborn little boy :-) thanks!
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have two boys. Both of them were 3 on the closer side of 4 when they were fully potty trained. What worked for me was something that my grandmother recommended and it worked AMAZINGLY. I left them naked. 24/7 (at home, of course) for about 2 days. With our oldest, he's never had a single accident since. For our youngest, he still wears pullups to bed, but during the day he has no problems (He just turned 4 yesterday).

This may not work for all, but it worked for us, so I hope it helps!
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't force it. My daughter was a few months past 3 when she was fully trained and it pretty much happened over night. When she decided she was ready, that was it.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i potty trained my 2 boys by letting them run around half naked. we live on a pond, so lots of swimming and playing outside. they got to pee in a certain spot on the edge of the woods and they felt like grownups.

one time we were in the front yard gardening and someone drove by and apparently called the cops that there was a naked child lmao. the police came and when i told them that it's 'potty training season' they were like oh ok, we got a call so we had to check it out.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if they are good with the potty by the time they enter school (which like...every kid will be), there's no need to worry about time schedules. My friend's daughter trained at 18 months in a month. My son has been "training" for 6 months. He's all gravy at home, but he just forgets when we're out.

Don't worry about it. He'll get it in his own time.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I bought my daughter big girl undies..she peed in them once, didn't like the feeling, then used the potty ever since.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    My son is a little over 3 and is just now dropping the kids off at the pool. He has been doing target practice with Cheerios for a little over 6 months. He just had no desire to use it for a poop. I was just patient, as was his mom, and eventually he did it on his own.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hands down, best method ever:

http://www.3daypottytraining.com/

My wife and I had our son completely potty trained at 2 years old in 3 days flat with this method.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Potty Training in our house has been hard from the very start! My older 2 boys didn't get a clue until right after their 4th birthdays. We used a coin jar w/ a prize of a toy if he filled up the jar. He got a quarter for peeing and 2 quarters for pooping(I think-can't truly remember-He's 8 now). It took a bit, but success happened. My middle son it was candy. 1 hershey kiss for peeing. 2 hershey kisses for pooping. He caught on in a bit. He's 6 now.
    My youngest son will be 3 at the beginning of Sept. His daycare has been working on potty training for several months. He supposedly goes for them all day w/ only a few accidents. At home, he rarely goes at all. He will sometimes tell us when he's wet/dirty or that he needs to potty,but nothing comes out usually. We are discussing if we should switch up putting the pullup on the top. One of the problems is that he will not go in a potty chair. It has to be the real potty. The closest bathroom is upstairs, so it is not quickly arrived at by his little legs. If he gives some warning, I can attempt to carry him upstairs, but that has yet to be successful to getting him up there in time.
    I am not pushing him per se, but since daycare has been working with him and they are leaning to having him potty trained by the time he turns 3, so that he can go successfully into the 3's room. It is kinda hard on me b/c there seems to be success there, but not at home.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Mine would pee, but he wouldn't poop. The daycare would send his underwear home with him, and I was getting really frustrated because I knew he knew when he had to go, he just wasn't doing it. Then I read in Dr. Spock's book that you shouldn't get frustrated with them because it's hard for them to let go of it. So, what I did was make up a story. I told him that there's a big poo-poo party where all the poops get together and have a great time, but the only way his poop could go to that party was if he went in the toilet. If you poop in your pants, that poop isn't allowed to go and it will be a sad little poopie. It worked!

OMG, brilliant!!

My 3YO has peed in the potty many times since he was 2 1/2 (he just turned 3), but now has no interest. I'm not pushing it. He'll go when he's ready. He knows what it is and how to use it, but until it's his great idea to lose the diapers, he will not do it.

All kids are different. My younger son, 17 months, already tells me when he's pooped and needs a diaper change. He's just more independent.

If you are a very, very patient person, go ahead and try to push the issue. I'm not, so I don't. Best of luck!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I felt pressured to do it because the daycare expected the kids to be potty-trained before they started pre-school. It was hard to keep my cool, but it all worked out. :smile:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I felt pressured to do it because the daycare expected the kids to be potty-trained before they started pre-school. It was hard to keep my cool, but it all worked out. :smile:

I enrolled my oldest in preschool, but he can't go (and I will lose my deposit) if he is not potty trained by Sept 5. I'm fortunate to be a stay home Mom, so I'm not going to stress out about it. He can go to school in January.
  • ohmykai
    ohmykai Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My son just turned 3 on the 27th on July, I won't lie in saying it was TOUGH... The thing that finally got him was being in daycare and seeing all the other kids on a strict routine.... He was fully 100% potty trained in 3 weeks, I kid you not ;-)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My daughter, now 12 was a nightmare. But, in all fairness, the summer we were going to start was the summer her father decided he wanted a divorce. . .so at 2 1/2 she had way too much stress to try to grasp the concept of using the toilet.

Flash forward to my now 6 year old. . . I'm remarried with 3 older sons and my daughter. The baby wanted to sit on the toilet and feel like a "big boy" but he would NOT go. He was almost 2 at that point. Then, 3 months after his 2nd birthday, he found a pair of his older brother's spongebob underpants and wanted to wear them. He did, made a mess in them. We sat him on the toilet to finish. About 3 days of "practice" and it was done. But, HE wanted to. That was the key. Do what you can to make it seem fun. Make up silly phrases. . .one of his was "super duper pooper" and "plop plop, poop poop" all in a sing songy voice. When they think it's fun. . .they'll try it more often.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

I enrolled my oldest in preschool, but he can't go (and I will lose my deposit) if he is not potty trained by Sept 5. I'm fortunate to be a stay home Mom, so I'm not going to stress out about it. He can go to school in January.

Now that would stress me out! But I'm not a SAHM. If that was the case, I'd be cool. :glasses:
  • follmer20
    follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I thought about a daycare just for a couple hours a week. So he could be around kids his age. He doesn't know or play with anyone his own age so maybe if he did, and saw them going potty he would wanna. Also might help with his sharing toys, especially with his 5 month old sister who he take ps everything from she gets her hands on!

Thanks everyone else for the responses. Hopefully it's not much longer but not gonna push it! :-)