Peanut Butter Dilemma

Options
Help me with my grocery list please! What is the best kind of peanut butter to buy? :smile:

The last time I bought peanut butter I picked up the "light" kind, and we are almost out of it. I keep hearing that light peanut butter isn't very good for you as it is high in sugar, and to stick to the regular variety. I'm also thinking about the "natural" kind with just peanuts that you keep in the fridge. I don't eat much peanut butter and my husband isn't a big fan of the natural, though he would probably eat it with a little complaining if I pick it up. Usually I just get a container of whatever is on sale or generic, as cost is a factor. I have also heard of "PB2" but never seen it for sale (at least not in the peanut butter section at Superstore or No Frills, lol, so probably not a realistic option for my family).

What kind of peanut butter do you use? What kind should I use? Am I overthinking this? :smile:

Replies

• susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    I started using PB2- I've bought it online on eBay or most recently, Amazon. It comes in regular 'pb' flavor and chocolate... which is AMAZING!

If I'm using 'real' peanut butter, I get Skippy Natural because I'm a Skippy kinda girl.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I use the natural kind because it tastes better to me. If your husband is the one eating it then buy what he wants, or buy a separate jar for the little that you eat. Is he really eating so much that it makes a big difference? If he complains about natural peanut butter he is really not going to want PB2.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I do think you are overthinking just a tad :wink:
    My vote is to try PB2
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I just get organic peanut butter, ingredients are "peanuts" .... nothing else ....... almond butter is good also ......

And remember that a little goes a long way :drinker:
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    yeah, the non-light version is better.

Don't get too caught up in natural vs. "normal" (no stir peanut butters with fully or parially hydrogenated oils). There is almost no detectable trans fats in those PB's and the added ingredients are very little. There are even some that us palm oil instead of hydrogenated oils to stabilize the PB.

Go for lower sodium if that is a concern, but otherwise get what tastes the best.

I personally like Jif and Jif Natural.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Compare labels next time you go shopping. Figure out the balance you want in PB.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have the PB2 in both regular and chocolate but mainly use it in my baking of Banana Nut bread and zucchini bread, etc.... I have tried just about all of them but when I was a kid all I ever ate was Regular Jiff so it as always been my favorite.... but I don't want the fatty oils that is in it so I switched over to Jiff All Natural and get the crunchy version (actually I have both but prefer the crunchy) it is 190 calories for 2 TBPS. which is no big deal for me cause I eat 3200-3400 calories a day and I use nuts and peanut butter as my calories dense foods, plus there is nothing wrong with a PB&J sandwich!! LOL...... Best of Luck
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    PB cost was always a factor for me. Especially now that it has skyrocketed. I looked at the nutritional values of reg vs. light and there really wasn't that much difference. Planters just came out with their own PB and it's lower calories than the rest. I figured I'd try it. It's delicious! The 1st ingredient is peanuts too (some aren't). Priced better than the rest also.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I like Earth Balance because it isn't as sweet as the major brands. It is expensive, though.
  • hparker2
    hparker2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Im a big fan of the pb2! Especilly the chocolate. My toddler also loves it and will eat it plain (she actually scrapes it off her toast). The husband isn't inclined to try it. Places like Winco also have a grinder, where you can grind the peanuts (or cashews or almonds) yourself and makes it there.
  • brandilacey
    Options
    Use PB2!!!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Any of them as long as the listed ingredients are as follows: peanuts. :-)
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    At home I get no sugar or salt added natural PB. Whenever I visit my Dad, he has smooth, creamy, sweet peanut butter. I could eat it by the spoonful, but I actually prefer the healthier one :)
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    PB2 is my vote but I use it is shakes and regular on graham crackers for snacks.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I just get organic peanut butter, ingredients are "peanuts" .... nothing else ....... almond butter is good also ......

The ingredients are more important than anything else. Anything that contains "peanuts" or "peanuts, salt" is gonna be your best bet.

ETA: if you have access to cheap bulk peanuts, stick them in the blender. My grandpa's been doing it for years and it tastes amazing.
  • emmaleeluckmann
    emmaleeluckmann Posts: 5 Member
    Options

.....very well said... one ingrediant.... if you have ever tried to make your own peanut butter you will know that when you grind up peanuts they produce their own oil...so the organic or all natural kinds that only have one ingredient listed is the best for your body. The other brands add extra oil, salt,...etc. which is simply not needed.
  • healthtenderfoot
    Options
    We eat Peter Pan Chuncky, Creamy, and sometimes as a treat the Honey flavor ones. I love peanut-butter popsicles! (It's just a scoop of peanut butter on a spoon)
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Jif. My Momma said. :wink:
  • JenniferARoss
    JenniferARoss Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Sometimes I get my head caught up trying to figure out what is best in terms of sodium, fat, "natural", calories etc. that a fairly easy solution - buy two jars of peanut butter, natural for myself and a tub of regular for the hubby didn't spring to mind! :smile:
  • Katze_e
    Katze_e Posts: 4
    Options
    Why don't you make your own? Throw a bunch of shelled peanuts in a food processor and process it until it gets creamy. Voila! If you like it crunchy, after processing it add more peanuts and process it just a little more. You can always add honey, chocolate, anything! :)