Proper running form

Options
2»

Replies

• As said by others don't run on your heels or toes. You only do heel toe if your learning to quiet your steps as a beginning sprinter and you only run on the balls if you sprint.
    Hold your chest high, hold in your abs to keep a straight posture. Don't be afraid to have a little bounce in your step. Lean forward somewhat. Don't bend. Keep your arms bent and don't clench your fists, that wastes energy. Don't look up and don't look down look straight ahead. If you don't it's harder to get oxygen in and you'll end up winded easily
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options

http://www.newbalance.com/running/good-form-running/61000,default,sc.html

Step 2: Midfoot - Landing on the midfoot, rather than the ankle, not only reduces impact on the knee – a common source of pain and injury – but also works with the other principles to encourage forward momentum for the body.

exercise.png

I'm confused about the "midfoot landing" thing. I think I tend to land slightly more toward my toes. I'm confused because I've also always heard that you should angle slightly forward when running, which makes the weight go slightly toward the front of your toes. I must be doing something wrong, because I almost always get shin splints (unless I'm on a treadmill, and that could be because I always use an incline on the treadmill).

So what exactly IS midfoot? The arch? And if so, how do you accomplish this while still angling forward? Does your heel need to make solid contact with the ground with each step? I feel like an idiot when it comes to running, so I hope I'm making any sense.

Do not worry about, midfoot, forefoot or heel striking. 80% of runners, experienced and otherwise heel strike. Almost all do not have big issues with injury. Form will be best served by working on where your feet land, not how they land. Basically, if you run so your feet land underneath you aligned with your center of gravity, you are good, and you may heel strike, you may not. If your feet are landing out in front of you then you are asking for an injury (shin splints are really common in this case,) and you still may or may not be heel striking although it is much more likely.