Help me pick out some running shoes!

Options
2»

Replies

• HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    Does anyone use those shoes with the toe cutouts? Can't think of what they are called, sorry.

Vibram FiveFingers. I swear by em.

But if they're too weird, many companies make a barefoot running shoe now with larger toe box.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    Recent research shows that there is an absolute nonsense surrounding expensive trainers - get a pair that's comfy and the rest is up to you,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01l1yxk

estract from Canadian expert .......

Professor Benno Nigg of the University of Calgary in Canada, has been studying the biomechanics of running for more than 40 years.

He said the conventional thinking was that cushioning and control were the key health benefits of running shoes - but that idea has been proven wrong by recent studies that showed no difference in injury rates if runners were prescribed structured shoes meant to control how their foot lands as they run.

"The most important predictors for injuries are distance, recovery time, intensity and those type of things... the shoes come very, very later as minor contributors."

Prof Nigg's advice to runners is to find something that fits.

"If you can find a shoe where you just enjoy that activity and you are comfortable, that's all you need."

Hope this helps,

Regards,
    S.

good read.... what stinks with everything is that it is also interpretation. Almost all body builders us supplements... so that right there is proof that somethings work. I feel that mostly all "findings" out there are half and half with truths and opinions.
  • ChiFortunate1
    ChiFortunate1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    No one can tell how much you pronate on a message board :wink:
    Go to a running specialty shoe store and they will make you run, and watch you the whole time and put you in some different shoes, make you run to see how they feel on you.

Once you know what kind of runner you are you can follow updates and new shoes that come out and what will work for you.
    A good resource, www.runnersworld.com I was just watching their Fall shoe guide reviews last night.

21371726.png
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    Does anyone use those shoes with the toe cutouts? Can't think of what they are called, sorry.

But if they're too weird, many companies make a barefoot running shoe now with larger toe box.
    Those things are so funky! I kind of want to try them on to at least see. Are they pretty comfortable? Have ok padding for running on rougher stuff? Gravel, etc.?
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options

Those things are so funky! I kind of want to try them on to at least see. Are they pretty comfortable? Have ok padding for running on rougher stuff? Gravel, etc.?

Yeah, they are kinda funky for many people. But there are other companies who make barefoot specific runners like Merrell's Gloves, Inov8's Bare series, or Zemgear, that makes the toe box large enough to give your toes enough room to splay out like the VFFs.

Yes, they are ridiculously comfortable the way being barefoot is comfortable. But they have absolutely no padding. It's basically about a 2mm piece of rubber to protect your foot from the ground. Running barefoot is a completely different paradigm though and will require a learning curve, a break in period, and a lot of sore muscles that you haven't used since you were running naturally as a child. But it is soooo worth it.
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    I got word that my sporting goods store here has something to help measure. I'm going there on lunch to check it out. They also have Vibrams. I want to try those on!
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    I got word that my sporting goods store here has something to help measure. I'm going there on lunch to check it out. They also have Vibrams. I want to try those on!

Keep us updated on what you decide!
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    +1 for barefoot running. Helped me and at least 2 other friends with knee pain.

I agree with this one. I have always had bad knee problems and I haven't had any and it's been months. I run in my Vibram five fingers or Merrell glove that have the Vibram insoles, but everyone is different. What works for one person might not work for the next.
  • Cassie8877
    Cassie8877 Posts: 177
    Options

Oh how i miss sporting goods store lol... And I talked to another person on MFP who swears by those shoes too n as goofy as they are I kinda wanna try them too lol
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I do not have a running specific store anywhere near me. There is a decent sporting goods store, but they don't quite have the level of detail that you all are mentioning.

I had to drive an hour to a running shoe store and it was so worth it! I've had shin splints once since I got my shoes (from over-running myself) and they help with the fact that I'm flat-footed and roll my ankles. I also have bad knees and I've only had to wear my brace 2 or 3 times since I got the new shoes. Definitely a life saver! I don't know what price range you're looking at, but mine are New Balance and I paid 113 for them. I loved that my store didn't try to sell me the most expensive pair...just the pair that works best for me!
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    <
    There is the winner. Uh-oh! :bigsmile:
  • rachgolds
    Options
    Go to a running store...they will get you fit in the right shoe!
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    If you can't tell, I'm not the most patient person in the world. :drinker:
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    If you can't tell, I'm not the most patient person in the world. :drinker:

Hahahaha! Awesome!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store...they will get you fit in the right shoe!

This!
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    I did 30DS in them and it was...........weird. I wish I could go run outside with them, but that kind of makes it hard to take them back if they don't work out, right?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I had minimalist type shoes for running(Nike Free Run) and I can tell you that they lost their support real quick... and now have been downgraded to walking shoes.

I just bought a pair of Asics Nimbus, and they are so much better.. my knees don't ache anymore after a run nor do I have any shin pain!
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    I did 30DS in them and it was...........weird. I wish I could go run outside with them, but that kind of makes it hard to take them back if they don't work out, right?
    ]

After wearing them exclusively all the time everywhere including on marble and concrete for a year, I developed posterior heel pain probably due to the combination of flat feet and zero support all the time. REI took back my first pair of VFFs after a year heavy use without my receipt for a full refund. I love REI. I have since reversed my heel pain by going back to supportive footwear and only barefooting it when running or working out.