housework?

Options
I'm doing some exceptionally heavy housework, like stripping floors, moving furniture to vaccuum underneath, scrubbing, etc. Does this count as exercise? What about gardening? Not just planting petunias, but pulling out deep-rooted weeds, digging large holes to plant trees, transporting 25 pound bags of manure, that kind of stuff. How would I calculate calorie burn for that?

Replies

• lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    do you do it normally or is it above your normal activity level.
    if it is additionally active log it - esp stripping floors
    i would log it as DIY though to save you from trolling!
    Again with the gardening if you are pottering round th garden and a low pace and it is normal activity - no
    but if you are hacking out trees and digging holes and getting sweaty then i would definitely log!
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    OOOOH. Thank you. I am busting my boohonkus today. Definately more than my usual chores today. Getting very sweaty so I guess it counts.
  • dancingdoula
    Options
    Gardening and housework are both included in the exercises. I've used both. You decide the intensity. If you put in the number of minutes, fitness pal will give you a general number of calories you've burned. Unfortunately, you won't know for sure unless you wear a heart rate monitor. I've got one, and have found that I burn more calories than fitness pal says. Thankfully, I can just log in my actual calorie count.

Keep up the good work! What floors are you stripping?
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I spent a morning digging out deep rooted volunteer trees last week. I was sweaty and soaked from head to toe when I was done. I just did a web search on how many calories I burn while digging up trees. It was out there somewhere. I was able to plug in my weight and the time that I did it and it gave me a number. I can't remember what site it was, but try a google search.
  • JenniferNoll
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info. Today I stripped my kitchen floor, did all my regular cleaning as well, and moved all the furniture to clean under it. I also dug up the veggie garden today (in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity), cut back and manured the rose garden, and weeded the ornamentals. I never drank so much water in my life. My yard is relatively small, but I grow lots of fruit and veggies, and I have nice flower beds. I do all my landscaping myself, but it was pretty neglected while I was ill for a few years. Now that I'm well, I'm wanting to get everything back in shape. Including myself.

I'm looking forward to fall planting.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    congratulations on getting back to gardening
    I wish i had a garden, but some day in the future!
  • JenniferNoll
    Options
    Love my garden! Homegrown tomatoes, sliced up with little salt and pepper, when they are still little warm from the sun.........Mmmmmm. Crunchy homemade pickles are wonderful. I love doing the work. I have some to do today before it gets too hot. Fall planting time is coming up, and I want to be ready for it.