Gutted I've just binged

Options
2»

Replies

• mrskatiepowell
    Options
    Normally I would have given up and it would have set me back months, but now I'm on MFP and have all of you advising, agreeing, helping it feels so much easier to just think 'what's done is done, now get back on it!'

Thanks everyone :) xx
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I did exactly the same; I'd be really 'good', have a binge and then feel so bad I'd give up and put back on everything I'd lost and more.

Now, I can accept when I've had a binge or if I'm going somewhere I know I will eat unhealthily, and I enjoy myself and get straight back on it. Losing the guilt over food is the key.
  • kittyconni
    Options
    We ALL have our moments. I dare you to find a dieter out there that hasn't given in to temptation AT LEAST once on this journey. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done. But, like an earlier post stated. You owned up to it. Get past it, realize that you are only human and start fresh!
  • mrskatiepowell
    Options
    I did exactly the same; I'd be really 'good', have a binge and then feel so bad I'd give up and put back on everything I'd lost and more.

Now, I can accept when I've had a binge or if I'm going somewhere I know I will eat unhealthily, and I enjoy myself and get straight back on it. Losing the guilt over food is the key.

Great advice but a hard habit to break on the guilt front
  • debmac2563
    debmac2563 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Dont be too hard on yourself, put it behind you now, otherwise you might get on a downer and keep going. Anyway thats what I have done in the past! all those biscuits! I could do it no problems too :)

I can be a real little pig and I know it
  • mrskatiepowell
    Options
    Dont be too hard on yourself, put it behind you now, otherwise you might get on a downer and keep going. Anyway thats what I have done in the past! all those biscuits! I could do it no problems too :)

I can be a real little pig and I know it

I gave the rest to my husband to take to work as I knew I'd eat the rest if they stayed!
    Next time I will have to politely decline the gift - I know it would happen again!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Guilt is a gumption trap. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumption_trap
    Recognize it for a useless and worthless feeling - you are doing good and moving forward.

It's the voyage that counts not the waves that rock the ship.
  • mrskatiepowell
    Options
    Guilt is a gumption trap. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumption_trap
    Recognize it for a useless and worthless feeling - you are doing good and moving forward.

It's the voyage that counts not the waves that rock the ship.

Oooh I like this!
  • HappyandToned
    HappyandToned Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that! Except mine havn't been one-off binges lately.. they're all the time! Trying to regain control of my eating!
  • mrskatiepowell
    Options
    Been there, done that! Except mine havn't been one-off binges lately.. they're all the time! Trying to regain control of my eating!

Good luck with this - it's hard
  • Rozlynmac
    Options
    Did you enjoy the biscuits? Truly enjoy them? If you did, then remember it's only 0.3 of a pound. 3 gym sessions and it's gone again.

If you didn't, maybe thinking about how you felt physically as you got fuller might help you resist next time? I have IBS and it's amazing how the thought of how ill I'll get if I eat certain things usually makes me not want them, but sometimes it's just 'sod it, I'll suffer and deal with it later'. I deal with the pain etc, think 'well I won't do that again in a hurry', and I don't, until the next time ;)
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    LOL! We all do this! AND further knock ourselves by counting how many calories we sucked in. Just keep in mind you would have had to eat 3500 calories extra to put on 1 pound. That's a lot of calories...a few Big Macs. So just put it behind you and tomorrow is a new day. We've all been there! Glad you are on MFP!
  • Fannyannefeisty
    Options
    HI, I'm being lazy and I've not read all the responses. But here is my advice.

You did good, look at what you would have done say 3 years ago and what you just did. What changes of mindset have happened?

You counted how many biscuits you consumed and held yourself accountable. You will think of those biscuits when you make food choices for the next few days at least and over all it will probably even out over the week. Yes, one wonky day but in the 9000 calories of this week you might still be bang on.

People do not get fat on a binge, in a day or one sitting.

What you must try to avoid is derailing all your efforts because of one incident. Maybe ask yourself whether constant and total denial is right for you all the time. What was different this time and in the cold light of day, without emotion, was it really so bad.

Accept, learn, move on.:flowerforyou:
  • mrskatiepowell
    Options
    LOL! We all do this! AND further knock ourselves by counting how many calories we sucked in. Just keep in mind you would have had to eat 3500 calories extra to put on 1 pound. That's a lot of calories...a few Big Macs. So just put it behind you and tomorrow is a new day. We've all been there! Glad you are on MFP!

I LOVE this post! thank you :)
  • mrskatiepowell
    Options
    HI, I'm being lazy and I've not read all the responses. But here is my advice.

You did good, look at what you would have done say 3 years ago and what you just did. What changes of mindset have happened?

You counted how many biscuits you consumed and held yourself accountable. You will think of those biscuits when you make food choices for the next few days at least and over all it will probably even out over the week. Yes, one wonky day but in the 9000 calories of this week you might still be bang on.

People do not get fat on a binge, in a day or one sitting.

What you must try to avoid is derailing all your efforts because of one incident. Maybe ask yourself whether constant and total denial is right for you all the time. What was different this time and in the cold light of day, without emotion, was it really so bad.

Accept, learn, move on.:flowerforyou:

This is very good advice - my feelings were that i've worked so hard 1 biscuit is fine, then once i'd had one old feelings kicked in. I gorged but the way I felt after was so bad that I wont be doing it again.

It's actually lead me down a different path and I'm actually looking now at the IF 16/8 so its not all bad x