BMR question

Options
So I'm a 5'11" woman smack in the middle of my weight loss journey. I checked my BMR today on this site just to ensure I'm aiming for the right goals. First, mine is 1735 per day....and that's BEFORE I subtract 500/day for weight loss! And my daily goals for protein/fat/carbs....45 for protein? Really? 145 for carbs?? REALLY???

Am I the only one to whom this sounds crazy? I work at a desk all day, try to get 30 minutes of cardio every day plus clean house and do some yard work every day. And I have an adjustable dumbbell to use while zoning in front of tv (spare me the guilt trip).

A little guidance would be great!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    A BMR of 1735 comes from your height as a proxy for lean body mass. It's no more than 10% accurate either way.

If you were sedentary all day you would use 1735 * 1.2 = ~ 2100 calories plus maybe 200 for the cardio etc = 2300

so you could knock off 500 or 460 (20%) and eat 1800 or so each day for a deficit.

1800 calories with 33% protein is 150g per day, 50g of fat is another 450 calories leaving 188g of carbs.
    MFP uses lower protein / higher carb ratios.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You should not be cutting from you BMR, but your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). Your BMR is what a doctor would feel you if you were in a coma to keep your organs from shutting down. Find a good TDEE calculator (I use the one on fitnessfrog.com) and make your cut from THAT number. Should look a little better :)
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Also, MFP's preset macro goals are a little wonky if you are someone who exercises. Doesn't allow for nearly enough protein. You can reset your macro goals from the Goals tab on the home page by doing "Custom" rather than "Guided." I personally use 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein, but I lift weights so I need more protein. 45/35/25 is a little more moderate.
  • Charity2001
    Options
    Also, MFP's preset macro goals are a little wonky if you are someone who exercises. Doesn't allow for nearly enough protein. You can reset your macro goals from the Goals tab on the home page by doing "Custom" rather than "Guided." I personally use 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein, but I lift weights so I need more protein. 45/35/25 is a little more moderate.

Aewesome, Hannah!! Thanks for the custom goals location! I've been looking for that, and I like the higher protein/lower carb too.