How do you make the soreness go away?????

Options
I just started doing squats and my legs are killing me. I was just wondering if any one knew of something that might ease the pain.

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    squatting more. After a week or 2 it won't hurt so much.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to make it go away?! It's the greatest feeling in the world...well, for the most part! :happy:
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Squatting more.

Actually I agree with this. I find if I do a couple very slow, not deep squats after I finish my sets that it helps.

Also make sure you thoroughly stretch all the muscles you just worked. Google stretches for quads, glutes and hamstrings and do a couple stretches for each.
  • paulmdepoy
    Options
    Try walking for 10-15 minutes to warm your legs up and then stretch your legs really good. You're going through Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) and like they said above, it will go away with time and more lifting once your body becomes accustomed to the lifting. But until then, stretch really good and get plenty of rest.
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Walk it off. I find long walks really help sore legs. And drink lots of water before, during, and after your workout.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    STRETCH!!!! Before you get to the point your at now. If I get to your point I just hobble for a couple days. I'm helpful I know haha.

I find this keeps me from getting DOMS the next day when I'm hiking. I did 8.9km the other day and my legs killed...I went for a walk on a flat surface to "walk it off" and I couldn't walk for another 2 days haha.

I went on a 14.5km hike with more hills yesterday and made sure I did a ton of stretches before bed last night and I feel fantastic!

That being said I was hung over the first hike which didn't help but it seems whenever I stretch before and after I don't end up as stiff as a teenage school by the next day
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    STRETCH!!!!

No matter what lifts I have done on a particular day, I do a quick fullish body stretch afterwards.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Squatting more.

Actually I agree with this. I find if I do a couple very slow, not deep squats after I finish my sets that it helps.

Also make sure you thoroughly stretch all the muscles you just worked. Google stretches for quads, glutes and hamstrings and do a couple stretches for each.

Agree! Warm up properly before, stretch afterward, and do a few short sets of squats intermittently throughout the day. I find that the muscles that get the most sore are the ones that I only used during the previous day's workout.

Odd side comment: I read someplace that chocolate milk helps ease muscle soreness if you drink it right after your workout. Don't know if it's true or not, but it gives my husband an excuse to drink chocolate milk on a regular basis!