Can I use egg substitute in this???

Options
Dancerten
Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
Clipped a recipe out of the local paper today for a Cottage Cheese Pie that sounded like something I'd like. I'm planning on making it without the crust (I really don't care about pie crust, unless it's made of cookie crumbs); so it should be more of a custard. The filling calls for 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks. My question is: do you think I can substitute the whole eggs with egg beaters? I would still use regular egg yolks for the yolks. I don't think it should affect the consistency of the filling(custard), but I don't want to make the whole thing and have either a runny mess or a dense block because I should have used real eggs :noway:

What do you think? Anyone tried something like this before?

Here is the recipe (WITH crust) incase anyone else was interested:

1 16oz container cottage cheese, divided
1/2cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
Salt
1cup all-purpose flour
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2cup sugar
Zest and juice of 1 orange
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1/4cup heavy cream
Fresh berries to serve

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, the butter, and a pinch of salt until well combined. Add the flour and beat just until incorporated.

Form the dough into a round and transfer to a lightly floured counter. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a 12 inch circle, then fit it into a 9 inch pie pan. Trim off most of the overhang, leaving about 1/2 inch. Crimp the edge with a fork. Set the pie pan on a baking sheet and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolks, and sugar until smooth and slightly frothy. Stir in the orange and lime zests and juices, along with the heavy cream and remaining cottage cheese. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pie shell and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until just set in the middle.

Allow to cool to room temperature and serve topped with fresh berries. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Makes 8 servings.
Nutrients per serving:
290 calories
150 calories from fat (52% of total calories)
17 grams of fat (10 grams saturated; no trans fats)
140 milligrams cholesterol
25 grams carohydrate
11 grams protein
1 gram fiber
260 milligrams sodium