Study finds fat acceptance blogs can improve health outcomes

Options
2»

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    interviewed 44 fatosphere bloggers from Australia, the US and the UK about how their involvement in the movement had changed them.

well, if that ain't proof, I don't know what is
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in studies because I saw a CIA disclaimer
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    Thank you, OP, for sharing this! It truly was an interesting read.

I also agree with the common theme of the comments: about the terms used. Self acceptance really is the first part of taking the steps needed to better one's life, so far as being healthy is concerned.

I'm glad to see that there are resources out there that give people the power and motivation to do the things that they previously might have been afraid to do, or have given up on. Support means a great deal. That's why I like this site so much: without the support of others, I know I wouldn't have even bothered to try.
  • sotellmedarling
    sotellmedarling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know people are against the name, but it makes a lot of sense. Fat people are labeled as "fat" and, thus, are not accepted. The "fat" label is not easily escaped, even if one is only 10 pounds overweight. We live in a ridiculing society with many pushing their standard of living on someone else just because logic tells them they are the ones who are right. So, I think the name "fat acceptance" has more to do with the label. It's like saying, "okay they call us fat, but screw them I'm okay with who I am as a person even with that label."

Also, I feel there's a lot of good intention, but misunderstanding by those who use the "I'm against accepting the fat lifestyle but am okay with loving oneself." Stop and think about the oxymoron that can occur. If a person NEVER loses weight for one reason or another, would you judge that person because they couldn't get their act together? If the answer is still yes, then what does that actually imply? The same goes for those who struggle on the extreme opposite end with anorexia, bulimia or having medical conditions that prevent weight gain. If they never manage to control it, are they socially unacceptable for life?

So that's the belief here with "fat acceptance" I think. Not to remain fat if you don't want to, but to go out and enjoy life and love yourself regardless of if you ever lose the fat. Basically, what I mean is we don't typically shame skinny people for drinking thousands of calories and eating at buffets so fat people shouldn't be shamed for it either.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

That makes me a sad panda, that was a terrific article
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in studies because I saw a CIA disclaimer

^This!!! Bwahaha
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    There's a movement for body acceptance called 'HAES' or 'Health at Every Size.' I love that name because it focuses on health sustaining behaviors for everybody. Implicit in their message is 'fat acceptance', but not roll-over-and-die 'fat acceptance.' There's a focus on eating and exercising for health.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have a family member that was always very small. She weighed around 105 pounds. But, she has some serious medical conditions (she has had some of these since she was a child). She had to go on prednisone and that in addition to other factors caused her weight to go up to over 200 pounds in a very short time. She is still the same person and still deserving of love and kindness. But, how will she ever lose the weight if she is afraid to go out and be seen? (also because of the short time frame that it happened, everyone thinks she is pregnant when they see her) That's just one example of why this is important. I am doing my best to support her, but I have never been in her shoes before. I know the best thing I can do is for her to know that my love for her will never change no matter what. The only solution is to make health a priority, that is the way that weight loss can happen in a safe way (not with diet pills or fad diets).
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I just disagree with the name "fat acceptance". If it were called "body acceptance" that would be different. But when you go around saying fat acceptance, to me that is asking people to think that being fat/obese is healthy and ok. It's not.

Note: I am solely addressing the NAME of this movement, not the movement itself since it's not something I've researched extensively.

this