Cronic Calf Soreness

Options
I am sure this has probably already been posted....

I have chronic soreness on the outside/inside of my calves. Not the front or the back.

History: I started running again after many years off a few months ago. Have steadily progressed to seven/ten mile range. I have been having the soreness since I started running regardless of distance or speed. Seems worse after running hills. I start by walking for a minute and then running. After the initial shock of running soreness goes away. If I walk at all during running and start back up, the soreness is acute then fades off within the first .1 of a mile running again. Took a couple days off and the soreness has persisted.

Not really trying to make someone give a medical opinion, just wanting to get some advice if anyone has had this before, and what helped.

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints to me. I used to get them so bad when I was in the military I could barely walk some days.

I found out years later a solution and the cause. The reason that it happens is that the muscles and tendons that control the stride of the foot are weak, and instead of slowly and gracefully lowering the toes and balls of the feet to the running surface, they are abruptly going down creating a slapping effect.

To beat this I found you can do the following:

Stand with your back on a wall
    Place your feet out from the wall about 1 ft. in front of you
    Lift your toes and told for about 3 seconds
    Repeat for 3 sets of 25-30 reps each day that you run

After years of killer shin splints, once I started doing that it never happened again. That being said, I think running is a waste of time and horrible for your joints. I would rather do sprints for a few minutes instead of distance running now.
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice mate. I've been experiencing similar (although less intense) pain on and off for the last couple of months. I'm totally going to try this going forward.