Can you get too much of protein?

yanicka
yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Today I am at 75 g of protein, way over the 45 allowed but still under my calories.

Ok or not ok. Oh and I know.... I have no veggies today. Don't feel like it LOL.:grumble:

Replies

• shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    no, whatever your body needs it will take and will automatically get rid of what it doesn't need.
    If only fat were like that! lol
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I think the big risk is when you are only eating meat (little to no carbs). That's when it's hard on your kidneys. I have my protein set at 35-40% and that's about 150 grams or more. 75 is a low day for me.
  • Advengirl
    Advengirl Posts: 88 Member
    Just be careful not to do it too much since it can be taxing on your kidneys. When you go over for the day (like WAY over), make sure to have some extra water to help your body flush out the extra that you don't need :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Actually, there are no long-term studies that illustrate high protein diets stressing the kidneys.
    The more protein we eat, the more aspartate we consume, and the more ornithine and citrulline we produce to convert the harmful ammonium to harmless urea which we urinate out.
    The biggest issue in consuming too much protein is consuming too few carbohydrates/too little fat, or consuming too many incomplete proteins (but that's only a concern for vegetarians/vegans).
  • Advengirl
    Advengirl Posts: 88 Member

The more protein we eat, the more aspartate we consume, and the more ornithine and citrulline we produce to convert the harmful ammonium to harmless urea which we urinate out.

Yup! That's why I recommend drinking additional water when you're eating excess protein...you've gotta have that extra water to flush out the metabolic wastes.

Basically, Yanicka- don't stress too much about it as long as you're balancing everything else. 75g doesn't sound too outrageous- but it does depend on your height/weight/lean muscle mass/activity level. (75g would be considered way under for me)

But! You've gotta get some veggies in, chicka! What about even baby carrots if you hate the green stuff?

(btw- songbyrd...your little rats are soooooo cute!!! Ah! I miss mine. He was the sweetest)
This discussion has been closed.