Why is the scale staying the same!! So unmotivating.

Options
so I feel like im losing weight. My clothes are fitting alot better but I still weigh the exact same thing on the scale!! Why is this!?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You're gaining muscle, which is denser than fat. So you ARE getting smaller, but you have less fat and more muscle.

Who cares what you weigh? You LOOK better and are healthier. No one carries a scale in their back pocket and it's none of anyone's business what you weigh. They do know that you are looking good!

(If you're discouraged and want numbers to change, starting measuring! Then you'll know it's not just your imagination. And doesn't it feel great when that zipper just slides right up and those buttons don't bulge any more?)
  • kgavins25
    Options
    Totally had the same problem, had a mental break down and was so discouraged. ive been working out 4days/week and really limiting what i eat but not counting. i jus joined this a week ago and I am starting to think or trick myself into believing i am gaining muscle mass or not eating enough calories therefore when i work out my body goes into starvation mode and i gain more weight. Its very puzzling and probably a different answer for everyone n any situation. its kind of trial and error, just keep tryin til somethin works. I really hate the scale, but as long as you intake the correct amount of calories, burn off what you need, and u feel better in your clothes, then thats all that matters.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Let me show you something...I recently found my "atkins journal" from 8 years ago when I *thought* I was fat ( I was, but not nearly as much as I used to be)

2004 *********************************************** 2012

weight 174*************************************201.8 ( I started at 228.4)

chest 38**************************************39.5

waist 37**************************************39.5

hips 42***************************************41.5

thigh 24*************************************23

so I am almost 28 lbs heavier than I was back then, but my hips and thighs are SMALLER...so I must be carrying that 28# in the extra 1.5in in my chest and 2.5in in my waist :) By the time I get down to 174#, I might be in my goal size of an 8! Right now a 14 is a little snug, but I can wear it....
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't matter. Scales suck. Throw it out the window.

Seriously.

Just open the window first so you don't need a new one.

Totally serious here.

In my experience, scales DO lie. How much you weigh changes on an almost hourly basis. How your clothes fit doesn't. If you know your body is changing and your clothes are fitting, then what the scale says doesn't need to matter. That's a decision you need to make. To decide that the scale doesn't matter. Cut your weigh-ins to every other week if you must have them. Measure first, weigh last.

HTH
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Don't always go by the scale. Trust me on that. Take measurements once a month and you will see how far you've come. Good luck!
  • cakelady69
    cakelady69 Posts: 228
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have been exercising 6 days a week and watch/ weighting everything I eat. I joined here a week ago and weighed myself yesterday. No change. I was sooo upset. I took my measurements though, so I'm hoping to see some difference there in a few weeks. Somethings happening, because my clothes fit differently and everyone I take classes with are commenting about the way I look. So somethings going on. Hang in there. I'm sure we will see the difference soon on the scale.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    if weighing is getting you down you are flirting with disaster -- meaning it will tempt you to quit. Weight loss takes time...and the scale will move..but you will also shrink and get smaller as it stays the same for periods during the process. It is all part of the journey. Don't let that devil on your shoulder try to find an excuse for you to give up -- like the scale.

Logic dictates..if you stick to your calorie count (start tracking you are kidding yourself by not doing that) and you will lose.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My scale is broken, and I'm not buying a new one anytime soon. I have my handy-dandy measuring tape, and that makes me happy!