Gardening and Crying

Options
So hubby asked if I could pull out the weeds in the loose stone border of our walkway. I hate gardening. I have osteoarthritis in my knees and don't like to bend down, or rest on my hands and knees, but I have lower back issues as well, so bending over to pull them hurts as well. Anyhow, I got on my gloves and my padded knee garden pad thingies and went to work. I lasted about 8 minutes.

I came back in the house and hubby was like, "did you forget something?"

And then I just started crying. Then the crying turned to bawling. "I can't finish," I said.

He was kind and supportive and calmed me down. I guess I was just mad that I couldn't even do what a normal person would consider a small amount of exercise. I can walk for hours and hours (mind you, at a slower pace) but I was just so pissed that I failed at the weeding.

So instead of doing what I normally do to heal my pain, I didn't turn to food for comfort. I turned to my husband. He was gentle and encouraging and everything I needed in that moment. I also promised myself to try for 15 minutes of weeding tonight (at least).

I guess I'm going to hit some emotional moments like this, and I guess the trick is to move through them without turning to food for the comfort.

Replies

• HotelWife
    HotelWife Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What a great husband you have. And way to go, turning to him, for comfort rather than food. Keep it up!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: