Things you wish you knew before you moved in

Options
corn63
corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
I'm moving in with my boyfriend next month. Spending many months on this site has demonstrated to me that we may need to have ground rules or some discussion about the weird things that we do.

What do you wish you knew before you started living with your SO?

Things I've noticed here:

- You cannot share a towel with a man. You do not want to wipe your face with their butt juice.
- You will require two meals because they may not dig the quinoa you're making to fit into your jeans.
- He may need to restrain me from the ice cream.
- Toenail clippings on the floor are unacceptable.

Oh and /sarcasm.

So c'mon. What did YOU wish you knew about your SO before you starting living together?

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    That she was a pathological, lying, manipulative she-beast that would nearly destroy my sanity and ruin my life.

But it's ok. She's dead now.
  • corn63
    Options
    That she was a pathological, lying, manipulative she-beast that would nearly destroy my sanity and ruin my life.

As long as you're okay with it.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Honestly, we talked about so many of the details before loading the furniture, it was smooth sailing. We talked about our expectations on bill paying, who pays what and where and how.. Who would cook what and who would clean what. How each of us feels about saying up late on school nights, and whether or not dishes belong on the short counter next to the sink (they do not!)

After that it was just a lot of talking through other stuff that came up at random, as soon as it starred to seem to need to be discussed.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    to be honest, not a thing. it has been such a journey living with my fiance. i already knew he overreacted to video games.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Make sure he knows that you poop. Not all guys are aware women do this.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Get things in writing - I know you prolly dont want to think of the worst case scenario, but in the event that you need to split assets, at least there's something in writing to go back on.

I learned this the hard way - the ex stole my dog (AND my record collection...smh) - I don't wish anyone that kind of pain (well, i dont have kids, so my dog was my life)

Oh, and that he was an alcoholic - and not the nice kind...that would have been nice to know...
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    The hardest thing we had to deal with was who was going to sleep on which side of the bed. (In fact, we're married now, and STILL have that fight.)

With that being said, consider having 2 blankets on the bed instead of 1. Also, discuss the thermostat before you even move.
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options

That little tid bit would have come in handy!!! LMAO
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Not too much difference. our relationship was somewhat long distance so when he came over it was usually for two nights.

He washes dishes differently than I do but not too bad.

He isn't nearly on the same level of OCD house cleaning as I am.

But I can take care of both of those things myself. :tongue:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That he could stay up until 4 AM playing Tiger Woods Golf on his PS2...swearing and throwing his remote. I've beaten that habit out of him though...
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    well, i didn't discuss anything with my bf before i moved in. we had been together for 3.5 years at the time and i had stayed over his house too many times to count by then, so i already had an idea of how he lived.

crappy thing was, his twin brother also lived with him.. that's what irritated me the most. thankfully, he moved out about 7 months later.

anyway, i think discussing who pays what is definitely a good idea.
  • corn63
    Options
    That he could stay up until 4 AM playing Tiger Woods Golf on his PS2...swearing and throwing his remote. I've beaten that habit out of him though...

I hope with the remote?
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

damn, tell us how you really feel:)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    That it would be impossible to share a blanket with him... We both have our own comforters on our bed.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known we were BOTH raging slobs. I don't know what I would have done about it though.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Figuring out who will pay for what before you move in, and how much expenses will be. Luckily my BF and I mesh very well in this area, but a good friend and her BF are constantly battling about money - tough to watch (and she's gone into debt because of it).

Honestly I was a bit nervous before moving in with my boyfriend (i like my space and alone time). I was so surprised at how easy it was and happy it made me. We've lived together now for over a year. So don't worry TOO much, because it may turn out better than you think!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Nice topic.

I wish I knew that he was super anal retentive about closing doors, drawers, caps, etc. I'm sure he'd say he wishes I'd have learned to close things all the way!

Aside from that, we've managed to co-exist and not hurt each other for more than 3 years already, so I guess we're in the clear!
  • sammiliegh
    sammiliegh Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I thought this was funny at first....then I got scared :/
  • ronaldo4ka
    Options
    I wish I could write something here, but he is on MFP, too, and likes to read my posts)))))))))
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    He's a blanket hog and snores loudly! I think I need ear plugs and my own blanket :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Other than that, he claims the animals are his but never helps clean up after them (I do the litterbox, clean up barf, etc)... but to counteract that I don't do bugs or dead things (if the cat brings in a lizard or bird).. thats his job to clean up and dispose of! :laugh:

Really though we haven't had much problems in the 7 years we've lived together.