Too many carbs?

Options
I think I'm eating too many carbs, but I'm finding it hard to reach 1700 - 1800 calories (that's what I'm trying for now to see if that works to lose weight since I've been eating everything between 800 - 1500 for weeks at a time for the last year and I haven't seen any results), but anyways, I find it hard to reach that many calories WITHOUT having a decent amount of carbs. I'm keeping my carbs low (only 13 according to MFP) at dinner.

Replies

• bitterbrownie
    Options
    firstly, why are you eating low carb? i mean, if it works for you, that's fine :) just curious!

second, where are your carbs coming from? i think fruit carbs are fine - they're natural sugars and you get lots of vitamins and minerals etc. if the carbs are coming from cakes, biscuits, crisps etc then I would consider swapping these for healthier foods.

also:

try looking at lower carb breads like Hovis Nimble
    swap pastas/rice for chapattis, salads and low-carb wraps
    add more lean protein and vegetables to meals

to bump up your calories try adding calorie-dense dressings, dark chocolate, nuts, spreads and a little oil when cooking :)

hope this helps!
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    .8-1g protein per pound body weight.

25% daily calorie goal in good fat.

Remainder calories in complex, low-glycemic carbs.
  • awatscw08
    Options
    Carbs are you main source of energy and should make up 55-60% of your diet (as long as you are active, if sedentary then as low as 45%). If you are shooting for about 1750 calories a day then you should be consuming at least 240g of carbs and only 24g of those should come from simple sugars.
  • joannanativi
    joannanativi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try drinking protein shakes, if you are working out- drink them with in 30 minutes after your work out

many shakes are hight in calorie and will help you reach your goal--- make sure you are eating the good carbs..
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think I'm eating too many carbs, but I'm finding it hard to reach 1700 - 1800 calories (that's what I'm trying for now to see if that works to lose weight since I've been eating everything between 800 - 1500 for weeks at a time for the last year and I haven't seen any results), but anyways, I find it hard to reach that many calories WITHOUT having a decent amount of carbs. I'm keeping my carbs low (only 13 according to MFP) at dinner.

Oils
    avocado
    Nut butters
    butter
    Duck Fat
    Fatty cuts of meat

not too too hard to do
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    Eating too much Carbs isnt good for you.

Westerners eat far too much which is the leading reason since the 1960s Diabetes has been on the rise when before it was merely like 5% of the population getting it.

Low Carbs...complex carbs is best.

These studies were thrown out since the main proponents were Austrian/German scientists during the WWII...so you can understand why the medical community had bad feelings listening to their studies.

Our bodies were not built for so many Carbs..especially the amount we eat today.

I would be concerned eating too many carbs.

Check out Paleo diet (caveman die) or Primal.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    .8-1g protein per pound body weight.

25% daily calorie goal in good fat.

Remainder calories in complex, low-glycemic carbs.

^^^Agree, although I personally do higher fat (good fats) than 25% and things have been working well.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Your diary doesn't show too many carbs, why are you concerned?

Personally, I'm only concerned about the type of carbs. I try to eat unprocessed, more complex carbs and fruit.

Your main source of fuel for your body is carbs so unless you are trying to eat low carb, then most of your calories will come from carbs.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Oils
    avocado
    Nut butters
    butter
    Duck Fat
    Fatty cuts of meat

not too too hard to do

Yup.

Yummy stuff.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Westerners eat far too much which is the leading reason since the 1960s Diabetes has been on the rise when before it was merely like 5% of the population getting it.

These studies were thrown out since the main proponents were Austrian/German scientists during the WWII...so you can understand why the medical community had bad feelings listening to their studies.

Our bodies were not built for so many Carbs..especially the amount we eat today.

how about not? just saying. this is ridiculous. as long as you're consuming adequate protein, calories, and fat it doesn't really matter how many carbs you eat so long as they are coming from minimally processed, complex, and/or fruit/veg sources.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Are our bodies really not built for so many carbs, or could it be the fact that most people aren't as active as our ancestors were?