Limit fruit??

I was talking to my former personal trainer today and she told me that instead of eating a lot of fruit, that I should eat vegetables instead. She said that your body can't tell the difference between sugars....so eating a bunch of fresh fruit can hinder weight loss. I personally love fruit and eat about 3 servings of it a day. What's the verdict on this?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Keep on eating 3 servings of fruit a day. Yes, fruit tends to be higher in sugars than vegetables (that's why they taste so good) but if you're staying within your total caloric goals and aren't diabetic I don't see a problem. (Like vegetable fruits are full of micro nutrient & fibre goodness)

Depending on what fruits you're eating, and assuming you are concerned about sugar intake, consider switching one of your fruit servings to berries, lower in sugar but still yummy and full of good things (I keep a 2kg bag of frozen blueberries in the house - a 1/2 cup serving is only about 40 cal)
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    I was talking to my former personal trainer today and she told me that instead of eating a lot of fruit, that I should eat vegetables instead. She said that your body can't tell the difference between sugars....so eating a bunch of fresh fruit can hinder weight loss. I personally love fruit and eat about 3 servings of it a day. What's the verdict on this?

3 servings a day is perfectly okay. As long as you're not going over your calorie limits or missing your macronutrient goals while trying to keep in your calorie limits because of extra fruits, enjoy them. If you're worried about sugars, try less sugar dense fruits like berries as opposed to for example bananas.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,728 Member
    Yes, you should eat lots of vegetables. If you are foregoing vegetables to eat fruit, then your trainer is probably right.

However, fruit will not hinder your weight loss. Eat as much as you want. It's calories in vs. calories out that matter.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Its true that you body can't tell the difference between sugars. However, there's no evidence that sugar is harmful in any way when consumed in moderation.

Assuming you're in a calorie deficit and getting a reasonable balance of macronutrients, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Thanks, everyone. I still eat veggies daily too. I just love the summer fruits and eat more fruit in the summer. Once the colder months hit, I tend to eat more veggies than fruit.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    fruit also has a lot of nutrients including fiber which help "offset" the sugar intake.
  • kennyrd1
    kennyrd1 Posts: 4 Member
    Sounds like your personal training shoud stick to training advice. Three serving of fruit will not hinder and may belp weight loss for a couple reasons: 1) fruits supplies fiber and a high water content helping with feeling of fullness on cal reduced diet, 2) one serving of fruit is generally around 60 calories (low cal choice) 3) fruit provides essential vitamins to help sustain energy levels for exercise as well as antioxidants for promoting health.