What do you throw in your salad?

Options

Replies

• Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My salad today was only 169 calories, and I am stuffed! Ice cream could NOT tempt me! I have to go shopping now! I LOVE beans! Do you grind your flax?
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Anything and everything - whatever I have. This could include:

spinach
    lettuce
    kale
    rocket
    cabbage
    carrot
    cucumber
    tomato
    pepper
    onion
    avocado
    radish
    beetroot
    broccoli
    celery
    peas
    fresh herbs
    pomegranate
    grapes
    apple
    nuts
    seeds
    cheese
    egg
    lentils/pulses
    meat
    fish
    pasta
    quinoa
    rice
    potato

I love making salads. I make huge salads that last several days.

And for a dressing, I use olive oil, wine vinegar, lemon, orange, honey, mustard seeds, garlic, tabasco sauce, peanut butter, tahini. Not necessarily all these at once - but if I had them all at one time, I might! :-)
  • leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Do you grind your flax?

I just use whole flax, never thought to grind it, but I don't see the harm in it at all!!
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My favorite is:
    -pasta(integral)
    -tuna
    -cucumber
    -light mayo and/or jogurt

i like to add some pasta to my salad because i could never be full from vegetables
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My fave salad is baby spinach leaves or spring mix topped with fresh raspberries, walnuts, and Bragg organic Braggberry dressing (20 cal for 2 tablespoons and it's got no added sugar, just fruit and apple cider vinegar and goji, and acai.) Yum!
  • voncilec
    voncilec Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried collard greens, kale, or mustard greens in a raw salad? I have eaten a DELICIOUS collard wrap marinated in an oil & vinegar mix (guessing from taste) then, it was stuffed with red pepper, orange pepper, red onion, and avocado.... Im' thinking it could be recreated in a salad...just not sure if I should marinate the greens before hand? The wrap was not soggy at all, I liked that part!
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried collard greens, kale, or mustard greens in a raw salad? I have eaten a DELICIOUS collard wrap marinated in an oil & vinegar mix (guessing from taste) then, it was stuffed with red pepper, orange pepper, red onion, and avocado.... Im' thinking it could be recreated in a salad...just not sure if I should marinate the greens before hand? The wrap was not soggy at all, I liked that part!
    This sounds so yummy! I am forever jealous of people who can get their hands on collard greens...they don't sell them in England. :(
  • mss_anthropy
    mss_anthropy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    does no one use raw broccoli anymore? lol they also sell a pre-shredded broccoli slaw mix at the grocery store that's pretty good in salad. and ofcourse olives.... lots of them. morning star veggie hotwings are pretty good in salad too.
  • voncilec
    Options
    This sounds so yummy! I am forever jealous of people who can get their hands on collard greens...they don't sell them in England. :(

It was very yummy! Do you have access to kale? I like kale too. It tastes like a spinach/mustard green combo to me.
  • lovinmomnwife
    Options
    I like to put defferent kinds of lettice, walnuts, grapes, half a can of tuna, carrotsand a little cheese. Its very good and i find it satisfing.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'm consistent with my daily salad:

-1 romaine heart, ribs removed
    -onions, cucumbers, and green peppers, if I have them
    -steam cooked fried Asian noodles, 25g
    -Kraft mandarin sesame dressing 2T
    -Sensations shredded pizza cheese, if my sodium is doing ok
  • voncilec
    Options
    does no one use raw broccoli anymore? lol they also sell a pre-shredded broccoli slaw mix at the grocery store that's pretty good in salad. and ofcourse olives.... lots of them. morning star veggie hotwings are pretty good in salad too.

I do not much care for raw broccoli... far too, IDK "raw"? lol It doesnt seem to yield to any type of dressing, maybe "firm" is the word Im looking for...I will look for the slaw mix though! Nice tip :)
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Had the grilled chicken avocado and mango salad the other day, and it was pretty delish!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/05/california-grilled-chicken-avocado-and.html
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    How do you "cube" avocados without making a mushy mess?

Cut it in half. Remove the pit. Before scooping you run a knife up and down as if you were cutting it into slices...and then again horizontally which cubes it. Then scoop the cubes.
  • mzfiyaa
    mzfiyaa Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    avocado i luv,tomatoes,carrots,cucumbers romaine lettuce sometimes chicken strips ,tomatoes,onions
  • mcedes02
    mcedes02 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not all at one time but these are some things I've thrown in my salads in the past......tuna,raw mushrooms, red onions, corn off the cob,peas, chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, black beans, chic peas, baked talapia, boiled eggs or just the whites, strawberries, peanuts or cashews, mandarin oranges, pasta, lettuce, romaine lettuce, fresh spinach.....
  • heretoloseit95
    Options
    Cucumber, tomatoes, shredded carrot, lettuce, rocket leaves, grilled chicken breast, olives, garlic.
    spices would be some salt, some lemon juice and apple cider vinegar :)
  • longhaul64
    longhaul64 Posts: 124
    Options
    I'm a simple man.

Iceburg Lettuce
    Tomato
    Bleu cheese crumbles
    Wishbone Low Cal Italian or Bleu cheese dressing
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I'm probably a little boring b/c I don't like fruit with my veg...

romaine
    mixed salad greens
    spinach
    celery
    shredded carrots
    tomato
    cucumber
    orange, yellow or red bell pepper
    avocado
    flax seed
    hemp seed
    walnuts
    pine nuts
    2% shredded cheddar
    low fat mozzarella
    small amount of feta
    fresh shredded Parmesan raggiano
    tuna
    chicken breast
    salmon
    Olives - love calamata

occasionally I will put some organic raisins and/or goji berries in

I usually use ken's light caesar (1 tablespoon goes a long way at 35 calories) or lemon juice, apple cider vinegar with either extra virgin olive oil or flax seed oil
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options

Yes, the broccoli slaw mix is awesome in a salad!