Runners: 5K, What's Your Time?

Options

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My last run was Sunday night, before I hurt my knee. It was my best time so far -33 minutes. I have not run since. My first 5K is Sept 9th. I hope I can run it.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Started running over the winter. I went right to a 10k for my first race in May and that was 56min. with a huge bottlenecked start (7,000 runners) Was gonna do a 5k a few weeks ago but had to skip due to a rib injury. I'm guessing I'd be about 25min in a 5k but not sure. Important part is just doing YOUR best. Have fun!
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k at 23:11 three weeks ago. That was at 85% PRE.
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just did my first5k on the 4th of July. It was 92 degrees at 8 am and I hadn't been training for a long time. I finished in 1 hour and 40 seconds. It was awful and I thought I was going to die but I finished!

Now, a little over a month later I have worked my time down to 45-50 minutes. My next 5k is in November and I'm hoping for 30-35 minutes =D
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My PR is 19:37 from this spring. I won't run another until probably next spring as I'm in the heart of marathon training right now, but I expect to go 18:xx by early spring 2013.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    5kpr.jpg
    fist-pump-baby1.jpg
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    PR is 19:49 (6:22 pace), but I almost never race them any more.

My least favorite distance to race. A well raced 5k is wall to wall pain and there is almost no margin for error. Longer distances leave room for bad splits here and there.

Yep, you've got to be all out and can't make mental mistakes. Daydreaming at all will cost you.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    5kpr.jpg
    fist-pump-baby1.jpg

lmao cut the guy a break! he's in his 60's!!!!!
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My first last year was 27:21. My recent PR is 21:37. Would love to go sub 20, but it won't be any time soon!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    My first last year was 27:21. My recent PR is 21:37. Would love to go sub 20, but it won't be any time soon!

You took 6 minutes off your 5K time in a year?! That's impressive.
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I'd only been running a few months at the time so plenty of room for improvement! Also I was nearing the end of my weight loss back then and did the recent PR at about 16 lbs lighter.
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My PR is 28:00, but my next race is the Pittsburgh Great Race and I'm hoping to beat it.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

I'd only been running a few months at the time so plenty of room for improvement! Also I was nearing the end of my weight loss back then and did the recent PR at about 16 lbs lighter.

Regardless, still very impressive. Especially for men of our age. :smile: You'll find that the improvements come a little more slowly once you get into the low 20's though. Obviously you have some natural talent on your side too. Nurture it.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I thought the question was PR...maybe not.

My first (post-injury/high school x-c days) 5K was 29:45 in April 2010. In August 2010, I was down to 24.05. I've raced quite a few 5Ks since then and have only knocked 58 seconds off. Current PR is 23.03 and as I stated before, looking to go 21.xx by year's end. Once my marathon is done with, I should have a good chance at doing that...thank you holiday 5K season!
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Worked my way from just under 40 min to 21:29

That is crazy amazing!!! I hope I can get there someday. How long did that take to cut your times that much? Did you do interval training?
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just ran a 5K this weekend and my time was 28:29.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Did my first last year at 33 mins
  • kmodrak
    kmodrak Posts: 13
    Options
    PR - 22
    Current - 25
  • Dionysus35
    Options
    Fastest 5K was 20:12

Currently trying to get back under 21
  • mateo57505
    mateo57505 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    First 5k (about a month ago) 27:24, just ran my second last sunday and my time was 24:57.