Bad advice to son?

Options

Replies

• LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hence: overprotective tigress mother time!

I'm going with 'Mother knows best' - stick by your guns :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Well at least he will learn some valuable lessons,
    1) theres a lot of silly theories about weight loss
    2) adults / ppl in authority don't know all the answers
    3) taking a week off healthy eating has consequences.

4) unless he ate thousands upon thousands of extra calories EVERY day...he gained water weight and it will likely come off quickly once he's back on normal routines
    5) see number 1, 2, and 3 :))
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    When I have a weekend with out of town visiting family, I eat what they serve... usually put on 5 lbs or so- mostly water weight. I just drink extra water for a few days and resume normal diet/exercise and usually by Wednesday I'm back to normal. Rarely do I gain more than a pound, beyond water retention.

You should encourage your son to read up on these things... maybe send him the link to this post. Worst case, send him to see a nutritionist for a session if you can afford it.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Good choice or Crap? My teenage son (16), who is a bit too heavy, has been trying to make healthier choices, and has been doing Extreme Workouts, kettlebells, ropes, etc. with his dad and a Personal Trainer. On our vacation, he ate a lot of junk food, and gained some weight back, probably salt-based. His dad and PT have told him that he can't have any sugar, fruit, bread, or pasta for 7 days "to jumpstart his metabolism" and get him back to where he was before the trip. This seems like it could be Not A Good Thing. Thoughts? Thank you!!!

I don't think people are picking up on the fact that you do not agree with this.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You are his parent, not his friend.........good for you for taking his health into consideration

remember, the choices he makes now will affect him his entire life..........You did a good thing

I disagree. Encouraging a 16 year old CHILD to restrict himself from "sugar, fruit, bread, or pasta for 7 days "to jumpstart his metabolism"" is a good idea? How is that taking his HEALTH into consideration?

It's encouraging an emphasis on WEIGHT at the expense of a healthy relationship with food--there is nothing wrong with fruit, bread, or pasta--as long as they are eating in moderation and as part of a balanced diet. Telling him not to eat these things just to lose the weight he gained (which is likely water) is basically telling him that his WEIGHT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THIS "HEALTHY" LIFESTYLE he has decided to embark on. That's NOT helping him in my opinion.

Well said.

I'm pretty sure this person was agreeing with her, not saying it's a good idea for him to restrict himself. Am I reading that wrong?? Cause you're jumping all over them when he told her she was being a good parent by being concerned over her son's health.....
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    You are his parent, not his friend.........good for you for taking his health into consideration

remember, the choices he makes now will affect him his entire life..........You did a good thing

I disagree. Encouraging a 16 year old CHILD to restrict himself from "sugar, fruit, bread, or pasta for 7 days "to jumpstart his metabolism"" is a good idea? How is that taking his HEALTH into consideration?

It's encouraging an emphasis on WEIGHT at the expense of a healthy relationship with food--there is nothing wrong with fruit, bread, or pasta--as long as they are eating in moderation and as part of a balanced diet. Telling him not to eat these things just to lose the weight he gained (which is likely water) is basically telling him that his WEIGHT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THIS "HEALTHY" LIFESTYLE he has decided to embark on. That's NOT helping him in my opinion.

I COMPLETELY AGREE.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My apologies. He said that it was 10 pounds in the 7 days, though I do know that he weighed himself the second time with heavier clothes, in the afternoon versus the morning, after eating, etc. so there would definitely be a difference there.

The only weight that counts is first thing in the morning after emptying your bladder in as little clothing as possible. All other times are subject to what you're wearing or what you just drank/ate. Water is 8.34 pounds per gallon. A single 16 oz. bottle of water adds one pound to your weight if you weight yourself right after drinking it. If you drink a 32 oz. Big Gulp of Coke you'll instantly weigh 2 pounds more. That doesn't mean you gained 2 pounds of fat. Most of that is just water.

The energy would be better spent on starting healthy eating habits. Spending an entire week doing something you won't maintain is a waste of time.
  • wareagle8706
    Options
    Just because he isn't eating simple carbs like bread and pasta doesn't mean he wo'nt get any carbs at all. They are plenty of complex carbs in a TON of vegetables. So I don't see anything wrong with him not eating those things (as well as sugar) because people do tend to over-eat them. I, myself try to keep the simple carbs to a minimum just because I know I could easily eat too much.

I wouldn't take away a kid's fruit. If a kid is going to eat fruit, let them eat it. It's hard enough to get them to anyway haha.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Just because he isn't eating simple carbs like bread and pasta doesn't mean he wo'nt get any carbs at all. They are plenty of complex carbs in a TON of vegetables. So I don't see anything wrong with him not eating those things (as well as sugar) because people do tend to over-eat them. I, myself try to keep the simple carbs to a minimum just because I know I could easily eat too much.

I wouldn't take away a kid's fruit. If a kid is going to eat fruit, let them eat it. It's hard enough to get them to anyway haha.

the point to me is not that he won't get his carbs it's the message being transmitted by telling him not to eat sugar, pasta, fruit, etc. It's not conducive to a healthy body image and a healthy lifestyle long term. Just my opinion.
  • wdwithers
    Options
    Good choice or Crap? My teenage son (16), who is a bit too heavy, has been trying to make healthier choices, and has been doing Extreme Workouts, kettlebells, ropes, etc. with his dad and a Personal Trainer. On our vacation, he ate a lot of junk food, and gained some weight back, probably salt-based. His dad and PT have told him that he can't have any sugar, fruit, bread, or pasta for 7 days "to jumpstart his metabolism" and get him back to where he was before the trip. This seems like it could be Not A Good Thing. Thoughts? Thank you!!!
    [/quote

Seven days isn't bad, basically it looks like the start of the carb diet or hcg diet. As long as he is eating other stuff, he won't become malnourished or anything. All foods have some sugar, so he won't be going completely without. He can use sugar substitute if its that bad, but I don't think there is a bigger bread and fruil lover than I am and I had to go without it for 3 weeks. It won't be fun but its not going to kill him and isn't his health more important anyway? Just how bad does he want it? Besides ask his doctor if you're that worried. I don't think you really have a lot to worry about for 7 days. How old is he? We don't need to be babying our boys all the time. I don't know it this really will start kick his metabolism, but hey let him try it and if you see problems arising then change it. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it if there isn't one to be made. He can always use one of those drink things that is suppose to help with the nutrients and vitamins. Like I said it's only a week. Look at how long he has been going the other way, if that didn't kill him, then 7 days this way certainly want. Ibuprofen or tylenol works great for headaches, but I don't think he'll have a problem as long as he is eating something. As long as he is getting his proteins and vegetables he should be alright. Just let him know this is isn't something that is done all the time, and for goodness gracious, if you, the dad, and the trainer don't make a big deal out of it, then he won't either as far as any eating disorder happening. Teens tend to watch the parents to see how they react and then kind of feed off that.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bad idea... and he is not a car. Reminds me of this post I just commented on....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/706835-really
  • wareagle8706
    Options

the point to me is not that he won't get his carbs it's the message being transmitted by telling him not to eat sugar, pasta, fruit, etc. It's not conducive to a healthy body image and a healthy lifestyle long term. Just my opinion.

I also think him knowing what foods are better than others is important. In other words, fruit is better because the sugar in it is natural and unprocessed. White bread and pasta are simple carbs that spike your blood sugar and make you crash later. Teaching him these things will teach him how to eat a more balanced diet.
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    On our vacation, he ate a lot of junk food, and gained some weight back, probably salt-based.
    *Sigh* Why don't people ever specify how much weight is gained? 1, 2, 5, 10 pounds?

My apologies. He said that it was 10 pounds in the 7 days, though I do know that he weighed himself the second time with heavier clothes, in the afternoon versus the morning, after eating, etc. so there would definitely be a difference there.

This is my ex, so I don't really have a lot to say about what he does at his house. I was of the opinion that it was mostly salt-based and that if he made some healthier choices this week and drank extra water, that things would even out and be fine. On our end, we try to focus on talking about healthy habits and getting fit instead of the scale number, and I do worry that this is starting an unhealthy relationship with food. Hence: overprotective tigress mother time!

You sound like you are coming at this from the right place, and that his father and the trainer are setting him up for a very unhealthy and potentially disordered relationship with food if that's the kind of advice they give a KID. You're right to reassure him that he couldn't have gained 10 pounds in 7 days, that water retention, heavier clothes, the meal he ate, etc. account for probably most if not all of the difference. It would take an EXTREME binge for someone to gain 10 pounds of fat in 7 days.

This diet plan just seems unecessarily punitive, like he's supposed to be ashamed of cutting loose for a few days and now he has to sacrafice to made up for his indiscretion. Ridiculous. I hope he hears your sound advice as loud and clear as he hears what his father and trainer are telling him. You have a good head on your shoulders and seem like you're guiding him well.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options

I'm an adult, first off ... but my personal trainer has this "smack down" diet that he recommends when I get back from vacation or when I've gained a few pounds. All it is is eggs, protein, and veggies ... no sugar, carbs, and junk food. Its not a bad idea for me. I do it for 5 days before and/or after vacation or similar situations. My personal trainer is trained in physical fitness and nutrition and 5 days of really clean eating never harmed me. I'm not sure if it would be ok for a child though. I'm not a doctor or a parent. Just my thoughts!
    Options

I also think him knowing what foods are better than others is important. In other words, fruit is better because the sugar in it is natural and unprocessed. White bread and pasta are simple carbs that spike your blood sugar and make you crash later. Teaching him these things will teach him how to eat a more balanced diet.

not true. all sugar will cause an INSULIN spike, especially if eaten alone. she didn't say WHITE bread, she said "bread"...and not all pasta is made of simple carbs either. Cutting out fruit, bread, and pasta is NOT balanced. period.
  • wareagle8706
    Options

not true. all sugar will cause an INSULIN spike, especially if eaten alone. she didn't say WHITE bread, she said "bread"...and not all pasta is made of simple carbs either. Cutting out fruit, bread, and pasta is NOT balanced. period.

If you go back and read what I said I never said to cut out fruit. I actually said if a teenager will eat fruit, by all means!

And pardon me for saying blood sugar instead of insulin, I didn't know I had to be so technical- I think you get what I'm saying so there is no point in breaking down which one is the cause and which one is the reaction. I know that all sugar will cause spikes in blood sugar, that's why I stated simple carbs (sugar is a simple carb, whether from fruit or from bread or from candy or soda). I also didn't say that SHE SAID white bread, you need to stop breaking apart my sentences in comparison to hers and actually have a debate based on the concepts not the "he said she said." We could break it down to words all day long and just waste even more time.

And actually, you could easily have a balanced diet without bread or pasta because if you take a look at the food pyramid it says "grains" or "whole grains" are part of a balanced diet. You can easily get grains without bread and pasta. If you need some examples let me know.

Edit: By the way, sugar in fruit doesn't cause as bad of a spike and crash because it is coupled with complex carbs (fiber in the skin of a lot of fruits) therefore isn't near as bad when it comes to spikes as PROCESSED SIMPLE carbs.
    Options

If you go back and read what I said I never said to cut out fruit. I actually said if a teenager will eat fruit, by all means!

And pardon me for saying blood sugar instead of insulin, I didn't know I had to be so technical- I think you get what I'm saying so there is no point in breaking down which one is the cause and which one is the reaction. I know that all sugar will cause spikes in blood sugar, that's why I stated simple carbs (sugar is a simple carb, whether from fruit or from bread or from candy or soda). I also didn't say that SHE SAID white bread, you need to stop breaking apart my sentences in comparison to hers and actually have a debate based on the concepts not the "he said she said." We could break it down to words all day long and just waste even more time.

And actually, you could easily have a balanced diet without bread or pasta because if you take a look at the food pyramid it says "grains" or "whole grains" are part of a balanced diet. You can easily get grains without bread and pasta. If you need some examples let me know.

why deviate from the OPs question? She is talking about HER SON not what's advisable for the general population.
  • wareagle8706
    Options
    why deviate from the OPs question? She is talking about HER SON not what's advisable for the general population.

I'm positive I did not deviate from the OP's original post anymore than you did. I'm saying if a 16 year cut out bread and pasta and still ate whole grains he would be eating a balanced diet, which is what you and I were discussing because I stated in my initial response that it wouldn't be a big deal for him to not eat bread or pasta.

I also can't tell anyone what's advisable to them and I didn't state that anywhere in any of my posts. You can't tell people what's advisable to them, either. I mean, we physically CAN but we are not authorized or accredited to do so. I am simply stating it's possible to eat a balanced diet without bread and pasta, which you said was impossible. It's absolutely possible.

I think it's pretty interesting how SPECIFIC someone has to be with you. I should've said insulin instead of blood sugar, I should state that I am specifically speaking about the child EVERYTIME even though that's what we were originally discussing so I thought it should be implied. The specificity you require makes me feel sorry for other people you discuss things with. I am done with this conversation now as it is futile and you are just arguing with me just to argue about something....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Seems a tad extreme and the whole "jump start metabolism" isn't my thing but whatever, it's only a week. It won't kill him. Plus it sounds like he needs to learn some food discipline and this is as good a place to start as any. Let him do it, and let him start making some of his own decisions.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Went to the OBX back in May and took the week off (other than some killer beach walks) but it's vacation and I was dang sure going to enjoy it food and all... If you truly have made this your lifestyle than there should really be no chance of falling off the wagon... I indulged my cravings and we had the best vacation we have had in 20 years... I came back stepped on the scale to see where I was (I wasn't logging my weight until I had been home for a full week) and I was up 8 lbs. I didn't freak out, I knew to expect a pretty good gain but I also knew it was alot of sodium intake that week and it would take my body alittle bit to adjust back. I did not deprive myself of anything just got back to drinking lots of water, getting my workouts in, and eating on plan... by the time I weighed in the following week I was back at the weight I was when I left... I think it is a bad idea to isolate him from certain foods, this journey is about building a relationship with our food that is sustainable long term, establishing portion control and discipline in regard to his eating habits... I don't know the experience of your personal trainer but the whole jump starting your metabolism is a crock... It is all about eating to your set caloric intake and hitting your macro's.... I have lost 311 lbs. eating this way, going to bed with a 600 calorie snack, there is no set time for food intake..... Best of Luck...