Injured knee - Ideas for exercise please

Options
My knee is injured I tore one of the ligaments in the back of my knee. Dont know the specifics yet but I am elevating and icing 3 times a day until physical therapy a week from now. I need exercise ideas. What are your suggestions for burning calories with a knee injury and what to do as i transition back into excercise?

Replies

• brittfj
    brittfj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    swimming!!! :] you can swim with just your arms, they have floats for just your legs, and without realizing it youre burning tons of calories. :] hope your knee gets better soon!!
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    work your upper body till then and then consult your therapist
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Is walking still comfortable?
  • tuccus
    tuccus Posts: 2
    Options
    swim I thik is the best for you
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I recently had anterior cruciate ligament surgery. Everything I read before i had my surgery said that if your knee is in better condition before surgery you will have an easier recovery. So, I tried to do everything. I jogged. I rode a bike. I even did squats, with weights.
    I found the only way I could jog was to jog really slowly. It was not fun, and probably not good for my knee. The bike riding, however, probably helped a lot. It kept my knee muscles strong and there was no pounding or possibility for stepping wrong, or losing my balance, and making the injury worse.
    I know the bike riding did not hurt my knee because it was not painful and my knee was not more sore afterwards.
    My recovery has gone pretty well, and I am convinced it is because I kept my knee strong and limber -- well, as strong and limber as possible.
    Try an exercise bike. That way you can get off if you need to, and, there is little chance you will fall.
  • flowerlover5656
    flowerlover5656 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I found every suggestion helpful. Community college starts next week and I had thougt swimming or the stationary bike class.