Very muscly legs... Anything I can do?

I've had very muscly calves all my life. I've never done dance classes or joined a sports team or exercised at all really. They are just naturally muscly. My mum is the same.

I have a bit of weight left to lose, but if I tense my calf muscles I can feel that there is no more fat on the bottom halves of my legs any more. It's all muscle, but I don't like it. I find it hard fitting in to skinny jeans because of my muscly calves and I want to go down another jeans size, but I can't because of my stupid legs!

Is there ANYTHING I can do to reduce the amount of muscle in my lower legs? Or am I stuck like this and have to try to embrace it somehow?

Replies

• Short of getting around in a wheelchair, I doubt it.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    embrace what you got...some people would kill to have calves. I personally have cows so I am just going with it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Can't change your genetics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Please don't
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member

Pretty much- need to learn to love it- or at least be grateful you have legs...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    ^ This. It is what it is.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    I WISH I had that problem. I have muscular thighs but chickeny calves. :laugh: It's not a good look, especially considering that I have big feet.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Muscles are hot. Love them. Screw skinny jeans. Leave them for the hipsters.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    *sigh* You're all right. I could have it so much worse I guess.
  • Sorry but they're not going anywhere! I've got muscly calves to (and have gone through the same thing) and I've found heels elongate your calves and make them look skinnier?

But apart from that embrace them! Just think, they'll help you jump higher and power your muscles when you're moving and exercising, think of all the positives and you'll realise you're really lucky!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Be happy you're not like me - all mush.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Last time I heard is that calves are the last place to store fat, even on a big person. Whatever the shape you've got is pretty much decided by genes. :(

I have hard time with skinnies as well. Everytime trying on a pair simply crushes that last drop of my self esteem. Slowly I learned not to look for depression by avoiding skinny but bootcut and wide legs. :)

Also, if you live in US, you can check out the skinnies that DG2 makes. She sells these on hsn. They are extremely flattering on thicker legs.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Surgery?
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member

Dude, I just looked at your photos, and your calves are not huge by any stretch. They look perfectly proportional. :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member

Your calves probably are not as big as you think.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Just enjoy it?
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Love those legs! I know I'd rather mine were large & muscly than large and flabby.
  • ThatDarnZach
    ThatDarnZach Posts: 52 Member
    I'm the exact same way. I have to wear a size 34 slim fit just to fit my calves when I'm a size 30 waist! It's weird but it's something I've learned to embrace. It's always a nice pick-me-up when someone comments like "do you run a lot? you have KILLER calves" or "how do you have calves like that?! I want them" even though I don't do any calf exercises at all!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Love those legs! I know I'd rather mine were large & muscly than large and flabby.

Up to a point.
  • Monalisa85
    Monalisa85 Posts: 31 Member
    Take it from someone who doesn't have those muscular legs--embrace them! Most of us would LOVE to have legs like that!