Options
13»

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I don't need to look at your diary.

You know the answer.

The answer is you are netting less than 1200 calories.

People don't "fly off the handle" for less than 1200 calories for nothing. It's not healthy. It leads to plateaus. It ruins your metabolism. It makes you lose muscle mass.

exactly. check out my video "eat more to weigh less" http://www.youtube.com/jaymebales83

So I figured my TDEE and it's approximately 2500 calories/day...and I would want have a deficit of 10% of that...That seems like a LOT...I mean...Granted I'd LOVE to think I could splurge and have some peanut butter right now but...really?

Really. I know it seems like a lot but that's because we've been conditioned to think we need to eat less to weigh less. I've lost all myweight by eating enough and it's how i became toned, not flabby. I dunno about you but i love food and if science tells me i caneast and still lose then I'm on it.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    You'll have to forgive my diabetes ignorance as I don't know anyone that has diabetes but do you have to eat low fat versions of things like yogurt?

Because things like that would be really easy to get your calories up and take out a lot of additives without adding any quantity of food since you said you are satisfied with the amount of food you're eating.

A good greek yogurt will also have a LOT more protein.
    Same with milk, bump it up to 2% (if you don't mind the consistancy)

Instead of fat free pretzles, have some nuts or seeds, 1/4 or 1/3 of a cup can easily be 200-300 calories and it's less processed and even has some good fat (and a bit of protein)
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You are aiming for a deficit so you net under 1200? You do realize, the goal of 1200 itself already makes you at an extreme deficit? Yes, your body is not getting enough food so it is rebelling against you. If it does continue to lose, it is going to shed muscle mass since muscles burn more calories than fat. You should eat more. I promise you, it really doesn't suck as much as a lot of people make it seem :P
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options

You know the answer.

People don't "fly off the handle" for less than 1200 calories for nothing. It's not healthy. It leads to plateaus. It ruins your metabolism. It makes you lose muscle mass.

Not sure where you get your information from (???) but from my experience, 1200 calories a day from good, nutritionally sound food is very healthy!! I have been put on 1200 calories by my endocrinologist who is the top in his field in NSW - I believe this man knows about healthy eating. He has helped countless Type 2 diabetics to reverse their condition through low calorie healthy eating (for weight loss). I have lost 15pounds since I saw him 2 months ago by sticking fairly closely to my 1200 calories a day. I have not lost muscle mass (actually quite the reverse) & my metabolism is fine.I think you should check your facts before making blanket statements like this!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal that way. I never ate 100% of my burned calories on workout days. Maybe ate 50% on top of my 1200.

On weeks that I was eating too much, I gained a pound or two, went back on a strict regime and finally reached my goal.

I am maintaining at 1400 calories now and eat 100% of my burned calories. I've been watching my weight to make sure I stay the same weight. It's been working so far.
  • misskerouac
    Options

You know the answer.

Not sure where you get your information from (???) but from my experience, 1200 calories a day from good, nutritionally sound food is very healthy!! I have been put on 1200 calories by my endocrinologist who is the top in his field in NSW - I believe this man knows about healthy eating. He has helped countless Type 2 diabetics to reverse their condition through low calorie healthy eating (for weight loss). I have lost 15pounds since I saw him 2 months ago by sticking fairly closely to my 1200 calories a day. I have not lost muscle mass (actually quite the reverse) & my metabolism is fine.I think you should check your facts before making blanket statements like this!

1200 calories is the minimum a woman should eat as a guideline, the OP is netting quite a bit below that which can be very unhealthy.

It is nearly impossible to gain muscle while eating a deficit.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    You'll have to forgive my diabetes ignorance as I don't know anyone that has diabetes but do you have to eat low fat versions of things like yogurt?

Because things like that would be really easy to get your calories up and take out a lot of additives without adding any quantity of food since you said you are satisfied with the amount of food you're eating.

Instead of fat free pretzles, have some nuts or seeds, 1/4 or 1/3 of a cup can easily be 200-300 calories and it's less processed and even has some good fat (and a bit of protein)

I'm not really eating this yogurt because it's fat free-I eat it because it's no sugar added :(
  • MSeel1984
    Options

You know the answer.

I'm type I by the way, which is a little different...had it since I was a teenager. Suck-fest.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I'm not looking to maintain right now. I want to get back down to my usual weight of 135. I had gained around 10 lbs the year I started birth control. Before that I had maintained at 135 for a LONG time. Granted I'm still wearing the same sizes and my clothes look fine. I just felt better at 135. My appetite didn't really change when I started oral contraceptives, I just started putting on pounds. Very frustrating.
  • misskerouac
    Options

I'm not really eating this yogurt because it's fat free-I eat it because it's no sugar added :(

Even with no sugar added, it still has a higher sugar content than some Greek yogurt, just something to maybe consider.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    [/quote]

Even with no sugar added, it still has a higher sugar content than some Greek yogurt, just something to maybe consider.
    [/quote]

Oh, don't get me wrong. I LOVE Greek yogurt. I used to stir muesli into it and it was delicious...I just figured my glycemic response might be better with one of those yogurts vs the no sugar added.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to maintain right now. I want to get back down to my usual weight of 135. I had gained around 10 lbs the year I started birth control. Before that I had maintained at 135 for a LONG time. Granted I'm still wearing the same sizes and my clothes look fine. I just felt better at 135. My appetite didn't really change when I started oral contraceptives, I just started putting on pounds. Very frustrating.

Honestly, if you look the same and your clothes fit the same, don't worry about the scale. If you feel bad physically, that is one thing -- but if it is just not liking the number on the scale, try to rethink the situation. Synthetic hormones will make you gain and hold weight. Your body is convinced that it is pregnant for 3 -3 1/2 ish weeks each month depending on the pill your are on.

I know seeing an increase on the scale sucks, but comes with taking the pill. It's a side effect. Unless you have weight to lose beyond what the pill made you gain, you're going to have a heck of a fight to get those pounds off. Your body thinks you're having a baby, it is going to fight you HARD to take those lbs off. Honestly, you'd have to be unnecessarily restrictive to get them off. Please talk to your doctor about this issue.
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    I peeked at your diary. It seems like you're eating a tiny breakfast and a bigger (calorie) dinner. Try reversing it. You need a carb in the mornings.....oatmeal, whole wheat bagel, toast, something like that. More protein too.
    Then try snacking less on the sugary stuff, add in more fresh veggies and fruits. Good luck to you. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary. It seems like you're eating a tiny breakfast and a bigger (calorie) dinner. Try reversing it. You need a carb in the mornings.....oatmeal, whole wheat bagel, toast, something like that. More protein too.
    Then try snacking less on the sugary stuff, add in more fresh veggies and fruits. Good luck to you. Hope this helps. :smile:

Why do you "need" a carb in the morning? I'm sure some people do, but not everyone does. I don't. :)
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    My biggest concern is not that you are eating low-calories, it's the fact that the calories you are eating are not particularly nutritious. Do you feel like your hungry all the time? I would be very surprised if you did not. I personally would recommend following "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman, which is very high in micronutrients, naturally low in calories, and you can eat until you're satisfied.

Whole plant foods are only making up about 10% of your calories, where 90% of the calories are processed foods and animal products. This should really be the reversed IMHO.