Food Choices...on a strict budget

Options
Hey MFP friends,
I just started this journey about 3 weeks ago (yesterday) and my weight loss has been minimal. I'm a single mother and honestly I have been struggling eating the right foods. I go to the gym or work out from home 4 days a week. I try to kill two birds with one stone by buying snacks for my twins (4 yr olds) that I would also like. I have gotten animal crackers, cheese its (for kids; lower in calories), graham crackers, etc... I just feel like I am getting off track. Every time I look at my intake, I am under the calorie count but I am not getting enough protein. The thing is I'm not sure which foods are high in protein (and actually taste good). I'm on a budget but I want to make sure that I do the right things to move forward with getting healthy. Suggestions please (keep in my, I have some very picky 4 year olds).
Thanks so much!

Replies

• innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Protein....hmm... boiled eggs and milk actually most dairy has lots of protein. Protein bars are great, most have anywhere from 10-20g of it.

Oh and fresh lunch meat, like turkey and ham have protein.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Chicken, turkey, and fish are all high in protein. Being on a budget does makes things difficult (I understand that lol) so if you can get things when they are on sale and freeze part of it, that helps a lot. Also try making meals that you can get more than one meal out of. For example, when I make baked chicken, I use what is left and make soup the next day. Best of luck on your journey and feel free to add me if you would like another friend :happy:
  • leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I meet and exceed my protein macros by eating eggs, meat, cottage cheese, nuts, etc. My kids eat the same way I do, only they have a higher grain intake then what I do because I've been trying to limit my intake, I just feel better without them.
    Feel free to add me to see my diary if you'd like.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Look for the butcher's specials in the meat dept. You can find some deals there. Also hit the roadside fruit and vegetable stands. better produce for a lower price.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would cut out the animal crackers and cheese its for you and your kids. There's no nutritional value there and they're expensive. Add in fruits and veggies for snacks instead. Chicken, ground turkey breast, fish, string cheese, greek yogurts are all good healthy sources of protein.
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is amazing. People rave about Greek yogurt, but I find that it's just plain gross. Normal yogurt still has protein.
    I eat eggs obsessively. With a million ways to cook them, there has to be a way that your kids will like.
    Not totally sure, but I think there's some good string cheeses. I haven't had them since I was a kid, but they used to be my favorite.
    Nuts are good, high in calories but delicious all the same.

I seem to get more protein when I don't try. It's everywhere -- dairy, meat (though I'm vegetarian), whole wheat breads and pastas, vegetarian faux meats, and everything else. Good luck finding something your kids like :flowerforyou:
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump, would like to know some answers for this too.
  • I_am_katy
    Options
    If you buy cheap cuts of meat and then make a stew in the morning or leave the meat to marinate all day is a great way to get protein and veggies and it's relatively cheap! You can also make heaps and it goes really well as a cold lunch and leftovers
  • chellie47
    chellie47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, tuna and Greek yogurt are mine.
  • myrydythg
    Options
    milk and eggs are cheap and is high in protein also what i do is buy the meat sales and when boneless chicken breast is on sale i stock up and freeze it.
  • Kourtne_KK
    Kourtne_KK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump momma on a tight TIGHT budget.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Dried beans and lentils! A very cheap source of high quality protein. And yummy, too!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    lite tuna in water should be affordable and its protein.
    See if you can afford sliced turkey cold cuts. Very healthy if sodium is not an issue for you.
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good source of protein, kids like it, and it's reasonably cheap. I get most of my protein from dairy in the form of cottage cheese, protein shakes, and Greek yogurt. String cheese is another kid friendly source of protein.
  • kanittaj
    kanittaj Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I actually keep fruit and eat a ton of it. Strawberries, nectarines, apples, etc. Thanks so much for the advise. I appreciate it.
  • JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love black beans and rice topped with a lgenerous heap of salsa. If you buy the beans dried instead of canned, they are pretty economical. You get a complete protein, plus fiber and your kids might even like it. This dish is a family favorite...of course, they embellish theirs with shredded cheese too!
  • daryllynn515
    daryllynn515 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Here are a few suggestions for you:

Chaboni Greek Yogurt - high in protein and comes is lots of flavors. Usually on sale for 5 for 5
    Almonds
    Chickpeas
    Eggs
    Powdered Milk
    Tuna

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    eggs, meats, dairy, nuts, avacado, broccoli, beans, etc.

I find my kids started eating whatever I was. best of luck
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Tuna. its really really cheap. and you can throw it in a salad for you and make tuna grilled cheese for the kids. Edemame. Which may come off as expensive, but if you have a grocery outlet or a winco near you they may have deals. I got a 4 pound bag of single serving edemame pouches for 8 bucks. Buy meat in bulk then freeze individual portions
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Also, look to see if you have an Aldi store near you. It RULES.
    http://www.aldi.com/