Bulk & Cut

Options
I'm new to this topic - but interested. I don't have much if any body fat to lose, my focus now is gaining muscle mass/toning. I enjoy running so I get my cardio in but I'm somewhat lost when it comes to what I should really be doing with lifting. I'm even more lost on the best way to way eat for something like a bulking/cutting session. I hired a personal trainer but I haven't had time to meet with him and I'm not sure if he'll go over any of this r if he'll refer me to a nutrionalist. Any tips? Suggestions?

I dont any anything processed, no refined sugar, no dressings/butters/dips. It's all super healthy. I'm not sure if that matters.

Thanks!

Replies

• kevinsherrell
    Options
    Head over to www.bodybuilding.com - a tremendous amount of really solid info on just that sort of topic.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/681920-strength-training-pr-s-brag-about-your-success?page=19#posts-10376260

Alot of helpful people on this thread and alot of woman that lift. They will be glad to give you some advice.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    To bulk, just eat a couple hundred calories above maintenance and get at least 1 gram per lb of body mass, you probably need more if you're an active runner. Then get at least .4-.5 grams of fat per lb of body mass. The rest of the diet you can fill in however you want -- with whatever combination of protein, fat, carbs you want. Lift heavy weights and do compound exercises.

To cut, you basically do the same thing, but you eat a few hundred calories below maintenance level, and you may want to get a bit more protein on a cut since you want to prevent the weight loss coming from your muscles.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out both of those links!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Also to put on muscle, your exercise regimen will be higher volume training. Usually 4-5 sets 8-12 reps for most exercises with as much weight as you can handle. Legs you can increase the reps by a little, but still go heavy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    What empmck said. If you're pretty new to lifting/building muscle, New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to start. It brings together a lot of information about lifts, eating, protein, muscle, etc. in a really clear, easy to read way. A lot of women on here swear by it. I only used it for about a month before switching to a new lifting program, but it's the best single source I've found for all the basic information.
  • MissyBenj
    Options
    I've been lifting for awhile, following a routine off of bodybuilding - but I'm not seeing the results I want. I dont think I'm eating enough, and I need/want to change up my routine as well.
  • MissyBenj
    Options
    So is it more important to lift heavier, or do more reps? If I can lift XX amount of pounds, but only squeeze out 6 reps, 4 sets do I continue with that, or lower my weights?
  • kevinsherrell
    Options
    if you not getting stronger/bigger then its all about eating more. Food is your body's building blocks, your body can't build anything without enough blocks :) Shoot for 400 calories above BMR to gain, that should be around 1lb of week or so, if you do that and aren't gaining then up it by 100 or so, or if you gain to much lower it. Everyone is different, it takes awhile and a lot of trial and error to figure out how your own body works.

I think the conventional wisdom for women who really just want to get "tone" is to target rep ranges of 12-15. If you doing 6, lower the weight.