Anyone start Insanity or P90X at a heavy weight?

Options
sherrirb
sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
I am considering starting Insanity but I am concerned about starting it at my current weight. I am currently 227lbs at 5'5" tall. My doctor has cleared me for any and all exercise, no physical concerns. I am not completely out of shape for my weight as I have been using MFP seriously since January of this year, been doing C25K, walking and some sporadic workouts with 30DS and some Billy Banks workouts.

I know these are hard workouts, I get that. I just want something to challenge myself with, something that is regimented and makes me push harder to be better.

Has anyone started Insanity or P90X at a heavy weight? What kind of results did you see?
Please post pictures as well if you have before and after.

Thank you in advance for your response!

Replies

• stephgreene
    Options
    I weigh 206lb and i'm 5'4. I was a little bit heavier and tried Insanity and it REALLY hurt my knees and joints. I'm not trying it again until I've lose a substantial amount of weight.
  • Hmwarren84
    Hmwarren84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just started Insanity. I am 5'4" and 169. Which is for me is still heavy. I can say one thing... Insanity is hard on the lower body. If you keep the jumps low and do the push-ups on your knees, it makes it less impossible. It is all about doing as much as you can while not beating yourself up for having to take it down to your level. It is tough but it is worth it. I am 4 days in and my legs and stomach are already looking tighter. I cannot wait to see my 30 and 60 day results!
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I just started Insanity. It's definitely killing my knees. I tried P90X for about a month, but didn't like it at all. It didn't hold my attention at all. The whole time I was doing it I would think to myself "I'd rather be doing Turbo Fire or Chalean Extreme"
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The Insanity booklet says that if you are not used to strenuous exercise quite yet, then you should start with another one of the Beachbody programs and then work your way up to Insanity. That's why I am doing Brazil Butt Lift first and let me tell you it's a killer! I am scared to start Insanity after i finish Brazil Butt Lift.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    i'm a tad lighter than you, but I just started P90X and am doing all right! The Plyo might be tough as it's got jumping but otherwise it is a lot of strength training.
  • mitchhickok
    Options
    I just started Insanity. I am 5'4" and 169. Which is for me is still heavy. I can say one thing... Insanity is hard on the lower body. If you keep the jumps low and do the push-ups on your knees, it makes it less impossible. It is all about doing as much as you can while not beating yourself up for having to take it down to your level. It is tough but it is worth it. I am 4 days in and my legs and stomach are already looking tighter. I cannot wait to see my 30 and 60 day results!

I agree 100 percent. Im 230 lbs, 5' 7". My wife and I have been going to the gym regularly (5 - 6 days a week) for about 3 weeks. Sometimes more then once a day. A couple days ago we started doing insanity workouts that we found on you tube and finally took the plunge and bought the program. OMG, what a work out. I absolutely can not keep up, and that's ok. I know I did my best and I'm rewarded for just trying and not quiting. Tonight I burned 853 cal in 56 min. It was hard work. I had to take lots of breaks. There were times I didn't want to finish. You just have to keep going. Rest when u need, just don't quit. And don't hurt yourself. You're not doing yourself any favors by putting yourself in a position where you can't excercise the next day. Modify the moves if you need, you're still probably going to get the best workout of your life. I say GO FOR IT!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I am prepare to have to modify exercises until I get used to them and I start building muscle and stamina. As I build muscle I hope to see a substantial fat loss as I progress through the program. Weight loss isn't something I expect to see if I'm building muscle, but fat loss definitely is. Inches rather than lbs.

I appreciate everyone's input and I'll be starting this in about 2 weeks. I have some trips out of for a number of days and don't want to have to work about missing any days.